At Mount Allison, equity, diversity, and inclusion:
- promotes successful transition of Black/African students to university
- celebrates the rich and diverse cultures that students come from and bring to Mount Allison
- engages all members of the Mount Allison community in understanding the rich histories and cultures of the Black/African peoples
Support and services
The Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Student Advisor provides one-on-one advising, support, and referrals to BIPOC and other equity deserving students, along with working with student clubs and societies.
The EDI Student Advisor also delivers education and training in areas such as systemic racism and microaggressions, along with collaborative sessions with the International Centre and Indigenous Affairs.
Or book an appointment
The Sexual Violence Response, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Consultant (SVREDIC) serves as a student advocate for anti-racism, issues of accessibility, religious discrimination, etc. on campus.
SVREDIC also supports the campus community around sexual violence response and prevention.
If you're seeking more information or would like to express concerns on campus, you can reach out to Lister directly.
Or book an appointment
Student clubs and societies:
February is Black History Month
Black History Month is about honouring the enormous contributions that Black people have made, and continue to make, in all sectors of Canadian society. It is about celebrating resilience, innovation, and determination to work towards a more inclusive and equitable country called Canada.
Find out what is happening at Mount Allison for Black History Month.
Emera BIPOC Returning Student Awards
Apply for the new Emera BIPOC Returning Student Award, valued at $1,500.
- Offered to students who have completed a min. of one year at Mount Allison
- Preference given to Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland
- Preference given to students facing financial barriers
Days of significance
|January (third Monday of the month)||Martin Luther King Day|
|February||Black History Month|
|March 21||International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (UN)|
|March 21-27||Week of Solidarity with the Peoples Struggling Against Racism and Racial Discrimination (UN)|
|July 18||Nelson Mandela Day (UN)|
|Aug. 1||Emancipation Day|
|Dec. 2||International Day for the Abolition of Slavery (UN)|