How to pay your fees

International students may choose to pay their fees through FLYWIRE. An online international payment system, Fywire allows you to transfer funds internationally and provides secure online payment services for international students.

Students may also choose to pay their fees with internet banking payments made through major Canadian banks, cheques payable to "Mount Allison University", or via debit at the registrar's office. For more details on payment options, visit make a payment.

To find out how much to pay and when, visit due dates and billing information.

With any method you choose, be mindful of any additional banking fees and conversion rates.

Scholarships and bursaries

Mount Allison offers a wide range of financial support for international students, including scholarships and bursaries.

For a full list of financial aid options, visit financial aid for current students.

Class of '33 International Student Bursary

The International Centre and the Financial Aid and Awards office accept applications for the Class of ’33 International Student Bursary program during the Winter term.

To be eligible for a Class of ’33 International Student bursary, a student must:

  • hold a Canadian study permit  
  • have demonstrable financial need   
  • have made contributions to campus which have enriched the University community through extracurricular activities, examples of leadership, and promotion of cultural diversity and understanding.

Working and part-time jobs in Canada

Canadian work experience can help you prepare for your career, gain exposure to the Canadian workplace, earn extra money, and form a closer connection to the local community.

You can work in Canada as an international student if your study permit lists a condition that allows you work on- or off-campus. You can only work after you begin your studies.  

You will require a Social Insurance Number (SIN) if you want to work in Canada and/or file taxes in Canada. The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9 digit number that the Government of Canada gives you. The International Centre provides guidance to students on applying for a SIN number at a Service Canada office. To find out more, visit immigration information.

Employment opportunities during your time at Mount Allison include:

  • On and off campus jobs
  • Paid internships
  • Paid research opportunities

To find the most recent job postings and learn about internship and research opportunities, visit career and experience.

How many hours can I work off campus?

During regular school terms

  • you can work up to 20 hours per week

During scheduled breaks

  • You can work full-time if you’re on a scheduled break, such as winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week.
  • You’re free to work overtime or work 2 part-time jobs that add up to a higher than usual number of hours.
  • You must be a full-time student both before and after the break to work full-time.
  • You can’t work during a break that comes before you start your very first school semester.
How many hours count as full-time work?

There is no set number of hours per week that counts as ‘full-time’ work.

However, your employer(s) must follow all provincial laws on overtime pay and time between shifts.

Tax information

As a resident of Canada during your time at Mount Allison, you are eligible to submit a tax return to the Canada Revenue Agency once a year.

You will require a Social Insurance Number (SIN) if you want to file your taxes in Canada. For more information on how to get a SIN, visit immigration information.

GST Credit: a payment that helps individuals with low and modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay*

If you worked: income tax refund (if you paid taxes on income, you are likely eligible to receive this money back as a refund)

If you plan on working in Canada after you graduate, a portion of the money you pay to Mount Allison for tuition can be used as a credit when you start working full-time. This can offset the income tax that you pay to the government, meaning significant refunds at tax time.

The International Centre typically hosts a tax workshop in Winter semester. Look out for an e-mail from the international student advisor for more information.

For information on how to access your tax forms, visit tax information for students.