May 13, 2024
Convocation checklist for grads
1 — Order your cap, gown, and hood
Renting your academic regalia STARTING APRIL 1, 2024
- Rental fees are $50, includes $10 deposit return when regalia is returned
- Please book your regalia rental on the Bookstore website
- Each rental includes one gown, one hood, one hat, and one stole (optional)
- IMPORTANT: all items must be returned after your Convocation ceremony
- If you wish to purchase regalia, please contact the Bookstore at email@example.com
Academic regalia pick up
Booked academic regalia will be available to pick up at the Bookstore:
- Friday: 8:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Sat.: 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Sun.: 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Mon.: 8:30 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
Academic regalia return
IMPORTANT! Remember to return your academic regalia at the Bookstore directly following your ceremony. The Bookstore will be open until 7 p.m.
ABOUT HOODS AND STOLES
The Mount Allison academic hoods vary by colour according to degree. Gown rentals will be available at the Wallace McCain Student Centre during Convocation Weekend.
- Arts — edged with garnet silk with gold silk ornamentation
- Science — edged with old gold
- Commerce — edged with light grey
- Music — edged with royal blue
- Fine Arts — edged with green with orange ornamentation
- For Indigenous students — Mi'kmaw graduation stole embroidered with the Mi’kmaw eight-point star
- For Black students: Kente graduation stole with red, yellow, and green accents
Learn more about the history of Convocation and our academic regalia.
2 — Request extra Convocation tickets (if needed)
Each member of the Class of 2024 will have four reserved guest tickets (free!) for their Convocation ceremony. Graduating students do not require tickets to attend their own graduation ceremony.
Tickets can be picked up during Convocation Weekend when you collect your gown rental at the Bookstore.
What if I can't pick up my tickets in time? If special circumstances prevent you from picking up your reserved tickets, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (506) 364-2269. Otherwise any tickets not picked up by 4 p.m. on Sunday will be distributed on a first-come first-served basis at Convocation Hall on Convocation Day.
Can I have more than four tickets? The application to request extra tickets will open on April 1, 2024. Students will hear back about their request after Friday, April 26, 2024.
Questions? E-mail email@example.com.
3 — Book your on-campus accommodations online
Accommodations in our residences are available throughout Convocation Weekend from May 10-13, 2024. Booking opens April 1, 2024.
All rooms must be paid in advance by registering and paying online. Rooms include a twin bed, mini fridge, linens, towels, as well as complimentary parking and wireless internet.
Keys can be picked up at the Accommodations Office (located in Windsor Hall) between 9 a.m.-7 p.m. If you're unable to check-on at the designated times, please make an alternative arrangement with the Accommodations Office by calling (506) 364-2247 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accommodation and cancellation policy
Cancellations for accommodations made 72-hours prior to arrival will incur no cancellation charge. Cancellations for accommodations made less than 72 hours prior to arrival will incur the equivalent of one night's accommodations as a cancellation charge. No shows will not be refunded. To cancel, email email@example.com
Questions? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
4 — Purchase your Convocation Weekend Bracelet
Grad bracelets will go on sale starting March 2, 2024.
- Grad Bracelets will be available at the MASU Office (WMSC)
- Only October 2023 and May 2024 graduates are allowed to purchase Grad Bracelets
- Grads can pick up their Grad Bracelets on Convocation Weekend
Full details on what events will be included with Grad Bracelets available soon.
5 — Prepare for your Convocation ceremony
Find out what to expect at your ceremony, from where to meet for the student procession to how to cross the stage.
6 — Information for your family and guests
Share the details with your family and friends who will be joining you at your graduation so they can plan their day: from how and when to arrive to what to do after the ceremony to continue the celebrations.
7 — If you (or your guests) have accessibility needs
Any student or guest who requires accessibility accommodations at Convocation Hall should e-mail email@example.com before Convocation Day.
8 — Day of the ceremony
1) Make sure to arrive on time for your ceremony! Check the schedule for full details. Also make sure to know what to expect at your ceremony, from where to meet for the student procession to how to cross the stage.
2) Return your academic regalia rental at the Bookstore directly after your ceremony. The Bookstore will be open until 7 p.m.
3) Diploma framing at Gracie's Café at Wallace McCain Student Centre — you’ve worked hard to earn your university degree. Show the world your accomplishment in a frame especially designed for Mount Allison graduates. Diplomas can be framed at the atrium for no additional cost, and this service will be available for 2 hours following each Convocation ceremony.
4) Bookstore — get your garnet and gold merchandise through the Mount Allison Bookstore, open all through Convocation Weekend!
5) Lunch at Jennings — gather your family and enjoy Convocation Day lunch at Jennings Dining Hall.
Family and friends who cannot attend your graduation can still be part of the big day. The University live streams Convocation ceremonies on the Mount Allison YouTube channel.