Safety and support
The safety, security, and well-being of those who have experienced sexual violence are fundamental considerations.
- Ensure the safety of the individual
- If there is imminent danger, call 911
If a sexual violence has occurred within 72 hours:
- Call 911 for emergency police or medical assistance
- Call Sexual Violence New Brunswick collect at (506) 454-0473
- Immediate medical attention may be required
Emergency medical assistance is available by calling 911, reporting to the Sackville Memorial Hospital, or reporting to the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) at The Moncton Hospital. Other immediate medications are available at the Guardian Drugstore.
Update on sexual violence disclosure and reporting procedures
In August 2021, the process for sexual violence prevention and response was updated for students while the University develops and implements a new Sexual Violence and Prevention Policy based on the recommendations of a third-party review and Sexual Violence Prevention Working Group.
Community resources and contact information
Sexual violence and harassment resources
Mount Allison Wellness Centre Counsellors
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Scheduled and drop-in appointments available.
- The Wellness Centre normally operates 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
South East Sexual Assault Centre
- 24/7 support line: 1-844-853-0811
- The South East Sexual Assault Centre (SESAC) takes a trauma-informed approach, offering confidential specialized sexual assault violence services. They also provide support to families and close friends of survivors when needed.
Sexual Violence New Brunswick
- 5 p.m.-8 a.m. helpline: (506) 454-0437
- SVNB recognizes that all sexualized violence, regardless of sex, gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation is gender-based violence.
Crossroads for Women
- 24/7 support line: 1-844-853-0811
- Provides support for victims of sexual and/or domestic violence, regardless of if they are female-identifying or not.
Beauséjour Family Crisis Resource Centre
- 24/7 support line: (506) 533-9100
- Hours of operation: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- This Centre also serves men and male-identifying people. They do sexualized violence response and help with all other kinds of mental health crises too.
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program (SANE)
- Program coordinator: (506) 869-2996
- Through the Horizon Health Network, offers support and forensic examinations for victims of sexual or domestic violence.
If you are a victim of crime and have reported the crime to the police, Victim Services may be able to assist you. Visit Victim Services (GNB) for more information.
- Elsipogtog: (506) 523-4747
- Moncton: (506) 856-2875
- Shediac: (506) 533-9100
Sexual health clinics
Vitalité NB Sexual Health (bilingual)
- For advice or to make an appointment: 1-833-603-0499
- Or visit their website (Vitalité NB)
Horizon Family Planning Clinic, Moncton
- Toll free: 1 (844) 806-9205
- Located in the Moncton Hospital
- Visit their website (Horizon Health Network)
Department of Health and Wellness, Moncton
- (506) 856-2401
- Provincial Public Health line
Clinic 554 Abortion and IUD services, Fredericton
- Toll free: 1 (855) 978-5434
- Providing abortion and IUD services by appointment.
Provincial services and hotlines
Action Canada for Sexual Health & Rights Access Line
- 24/7 toll free: 1 (888) 642-2725
Sexually Transmitted Infection Hotline
- 1 (877) 784-1010
- 24/7 toll free: 8-1-1
Mental health helplines
- 24/7 support line: 1 (800) 667-5005
- A provincial crisis phone line, accessible 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and free to all residents of New Brunswick. Chimo Helpline can help you by providing a listening ear, helpful information, crisis intervention and referrals to resources in the province. They are confidential, non-judgmental, and supportive.
Kid’s Help Phone counsellors
- 1 (800) 668-6868
- Text 686868
- Whether by phone, text, mobile app, or through its website, you can connect with the Kids Help Phone whenever you want; however you want.
Canada Suicide Prevention Service
- 1 (833) 456-4566
- Crisis Services Canada — a national network of existing distress, crisis and suicide prevention line services.
National Eating Disorder Information Line
- 1 (866) 633-4220
- NEDIC provides information and resources so that individuals are empowered to make the decision best suited to their personal circumstance.
- 1 (877) 330-6366
- Provides trans peer support for our community. Run by and for trans people.
Helpline for Compulsive Gamblers
- 1 (800) 461-1234
- Provides problem gamblers, their families and/or others affected by problem gambling, with information related to problem gambling and/or referrals for help.
- (506) 364-2163
Port Elgin and Region Health Centre
- (506) 538-2140
Coverdale Medical Clinic, Riverview
- (506) 384-2100
Shediac Regional Health Centre
- (506) 533-2700
Marais Health Centre – Dépannage du Marais, Dieppe
- (506) 384-1110
Pharmacie Familiprix, Memramcook
- (506) 758-2525
Mental health and community resources
Mobile Crisis Unit
- 1 (866) 771-7760
- Provides interventions to defuse situations in the community to individuals and families outside of the usual hours of operations including evenings and weekends.
Atlantic Wellness Community Centre
- (506) 382-0298
- Registered charity that provides access to free and timely mental healthcare to youth and young adults aged 12-21 in Southeastern New Brunswick.
- (506) 855 4349
- Community-based women’s resource centre committed to social justice with a focus on gender equality.
Moncton Addictions & Mental Health
- Horizon Health: (506) 856-2444
- Vitalité: (506) 862-4144
Community Mental Health Centre (CMHC), Sackville/Moncton
- (506) 856-2444
- Provides support for individuals facing issues with mental health and/or addictions.
- (506) 381-0583
- Fellowship of individuals who share their experience, strength, and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others recover from alcoholism.
Indigenous community services
ACCESS Open Minds Mental Health Support
- (506) 523-8345
Elsipogtog First Nation
- (506) 523-8222
Fort Folly First Nation
- (506) 379-3400
Lone Eagle Treatment Centre
- (506) 523-8244
National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
- Support Line: 1 (844) 413-6649
- (506) 859-9616
- Striving to alleviate complex social challenges through outreach, harm reduction, and safe environments for 2SLGBTQIA+ citizens.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seeking to affirm identities in a way that will positively influence the individual’s transition at home, school, and in the workplace.
- 1 (877) 330-6366
- Trans-led organization that connects trans people to the community, support, and resources they need to survive and thrive.
New Brunswick Human Rights Commission
- 1 (888) 471-2233