Elizabeth (Beth) Jewett teaches in Canadian Studies and History. Her areas of expertise include environmental history, Canadian history, American cultural histories, transatlantic and Atlantic World histories, food history, and history of sport and leisure. Dr. Jewett’s current publications revolve around her two ongoing research projects: the history of golf course landscapes and the history of the maple syrup industry in Canada.
- Under Contract, manuscript, From Rough to Green: Cultivating Golf Course Landscapes in Canada, 1870-1945 McGill-Queen's University Press
- "Maple Syrup", Invited contribution for Symbols of Canada eds., Dawson, Gidney, and Wright, (Toronto: Between the Lines) planned for 2018.
- Accepted, "A Hole in One: Sport and Environment," in The International Journal of the History of Sport .
- "What was Driving Golf: Mobility, Nature, and the Making of Canadian Leisure Landscapes, 1870-1930," Chapter in J.W. Young, C. Coates and B. Bradley, eds., Moving Natures: Mobility and the Environment in Canadian History , Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 251-273.
- Review of Time and a Place: An Environmental History of Prince Edward Island - A Review on Borealia - A Group Blog on Early Canada, Published July 24, 2017. https://earlycanadianhistory.ca/2017/07/24/time-and-a-place-an-environmental-history-of-prince-edward-island-a-review/
- Review of Climbers' Paradise: Making Canada's Mountain Parks 1904-1974 in University of Toronto Quarterly Vol. 85, no. 3 (Summer 2016), 544-546.
- Review of A Town Called Asbestos in American Review of Canadian Studies Vol. 46, no. 4 (Winter 2016), 539-540.
- Review of Arv Olson's Backspin in BC Studies issue 178 (Summer 2013), 148-149
- "Notes on Nineteenth Century Tourism on Lake Memphremagog, 1850-1899." The Journal of Eastern Townships Studies no. 31 (Fall 2007): 25-43.
- "Collaborative Landscapes" on The Otter , NiCHE, Published July 24, 2017. http://niche-canada.org/2017/07/24/collaborative-landscapes/
- "Golf at Jasper Park in the Canadian Rockies-Advertising the Golf Course Landscape." The Champlain Society . Published August 2016. http://www.champlainsociety.ca/golf-at-jasper-park-in-the-canadian-rock…
- "Recap: Quelques Arpents de Neige, 2012," The Otter -Network in Canadian History and the Environment. Published December 28, 2012. http://niche-canada.org/node/10554
- "Exploring the History of Golf Course Construction in North America," Network in Canadian History and the Environment, Scholar Profile . Published October 4, 2011, http://niche-canada.org/node/10149
- "What's Driving Golf: Mobility and Canadian Landscapes of Golf," Network in Canadian History and the Environment, Mobility. Published March 8, 2011, http://niche-canada.org/node/9899
PhD, History Department, University of Toronto (2015)
MA, History Department, McGill University
BA, First Class Honours, McGill University
- Contemporary Canada: An Introduction (CANA1001)
- Experience the Arts (CANA2201)
- Media and Popular Culture in Canada (CANA2211)
- Comparative Canadian Regionalism (CANA2431)
- Cultural Diversity in Canada (CANA2121)
- Indigenous Canada (CANA3111)
- Canadianscapes: Defining Canada in the 21st Century (CANA3991)
- Contemporary Canadian Issues: The Environment (CANA3401)
- Cultures at Play: Sport and Leisure in Canada (CANA3991)
- Introduction to North American Environmental History (HIST1991)
- War and Society in Europe: From Napoleon to Nuremburg,1815-1945 (HIST3331)
- Canadian History
- Canadian Studies
- Environmental History
- Sport History
- Food History
- Landscape History
- History of the United States
- History of Science and Technology
- World History
- Gender and Women’s History
- W. P. Bell Postdoctoral Fellow, Canadian Studies, Mount Allison University
- Part-time Research Stipend, Mount Allison University - "A Sweet and Sticky Situation: Exploring the History and Contemporary Realities of the Maple Syrup Industry in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia"
- Environmental Trust Fund, Government of New Brunswick, Conference Project Grant - Quelques Arpents de Neige, https://quelquesarpentsdeneige.wordpress.com/
- The Royal Society of Canada Atlantic, Open Academy Grant
- Jeanne Armour Scholarship, University of Toronto
- Doctoral Completion Award, University of Toronto
- Craig Brown Travelling Fellowship, University of Toronto
- School of Graduate Studies Travel Grant, University of Toronto
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship