Transfer credit(s) may be awarded to students who have attended recognized post-secondary institutions or university-preparatory programs.

Transfer credit evaluations are completed by the Registrar's Office.

  • A transfer credits evaluation can only be completed once you've accepted your offer of admission to Mount Allison by paying your registration deposit
  • Official transcript(s) should be forwarded directly to the Registrar's Office by the issuing institution
  • If applying for admission with advanced standing, course descriptions must be submitted to the Registrar's Office to be reviewed at
  • IB, AP, and British-A levels students are only required to submit course descriptions if specifically requested

For more information on transfer credits, please contact an Academic Advisor, at

IB, AP, and British A-levels students

IB: Students who successfully complete the IB diploma may receive up to 30 transfer credits. Find out more about IB transfer credits and Mount Allison equivalencies for select IB courses.

AP: The University grants a maximum of 30 credits for subjects completed in the Advanced Placement program at a level 4 or 5. We also offer transfer credits for AP Capstone program.

British A-levels: Students who have achieved a minimum grade of D in their A-level exams may qualify for up to 30 transfer credits. For non-Cambridge exams, students need to request the exam board (Edexcel, AQA, etc.) send an official copy of results directory to the University. We can verify Cambridge exam results, so there is no need to arrange for official copies.

Credits transfer in July. You do not have to do anything to accept these credits. Some students choose to repeat courses for which they receive credit (particularly in their intended area of study). If this is the case, simply enroll in the courses you wish to repeat (the credits will still be transferred to your Mount Allison transcript). We recommend that you register for any required coursed in your program as soon as possible. You will be able to change your registration later once your transfer credit assessment is complete.

NEW — Turn your diploma into a university degree

Mount Allison has collaborated with the following institutions to provide an opportunity for students who have completed the two-year diploma or degree to be admitted to Mount Allison with second or third-year standing.

  • NBCC Business Administration (Accounting)
  • Holland College Music Performance
  • Bermuda College Associate in Science
  • Yukon School of Visual Arts (SOVA)

Find out more about our transfer agreements program.

General Information

Regulations and requirements

Regulations governing admission with advanced standing and transfer students can be found in sections 3.9 and 3.10 of the academic calendar.  See also section 10.10.2 for academic residency requirements (the number of courses which must be completed through Mount Allison).

Course registration

You will not be able to use transfer credits to register for courses with prerequisites until the credits have been added to your Mount Allison transcript. Students are strongly advised to register for courses as soon as possible. Contact an academic advisor at for advice on course registration if your credit transfer is not complete. Subject to registration deadlines, course registration can be adjusted once the assessment is complete.


Transfer credits will be recorded with a grade of P or CP on your Mount Allison transcript. Transfer credits with a grade of P qualify as equivalent to a grade of C- for purposes of fulfilling prerequisite requirement. Transfer credits with a grade of CP cannot be used to fulfill prerequisite requirements.

The word 'non-designated,’ often applied to transfer credits, means that credit value is recognized and granted for the course though no Mount Allison offering was selected as the direct equivalent. Non-designated transfer credits are not recorded with a grade on your Mount Allison transcript.

Transfer credits are excluded from your Mount Allison grade point average calculations.

The application of these transfer credits will vary depending on the degree.