Transgender Flag raised on campus for National Transgender Awareness Week, Nov. 13-19
This week, November 13-19, is National Transgender Awareness Week, which helps raise the visibility of transgender people and address issues the transgender community faces.
This week of education and advocacy leads up to the Transgender Day of Remembrance on November 20 — an annual observance that honours the memory of the transgender people whose lives were lost this year in acts of anti-transgender violence. The University will raise the Transgender Flag on campus in observance of this week and will lower it to half-mast over the weekend for the Transgender Day of Remembrance.
This year, a number of events and initiatives have been planned alongside Mount Allison’s first Fall Wellness Week to highlight that wellness doesn’t stop at the individual; wellness also includes creating an inclusive and safe campus for everyone.
- Queer Mental Health Workshop Drama Therapy with Mount Allison Counsellor Todd Hunter — Monday, November 14, 5-6 p.m., Motyer-Fancy Theatre, Purdy Crawford Centre for the Arts
- “Let’s Talk About Positive Spaces” — Join Sexual Violence Prevention and Education Co-ordinator Tasia Alexopoulos for a session on Positive Spaces, Tuesday, November 15, 4-5 p.m. (online). Register here: http://bit.ly/3NPcLuQ
- Gratitude, Intentions, Concerns — Join Rev. Ellie Hummel and Spiritual Care Ambassadors on Wednesday, November 16, 4:30-5 p.m. in the Chapel. All welcome.
- Film Screening of the documentary Proper Pronouns — Followed by a conversation facilitated by Multi-faith Chaplain and Spiritual Care Co-ordinator Rev. Ellie Hummel and the 2SLGBTQIA+ Community Engagement leader Isabella Matchett on Wednesday, November 16, 7-9 p.m., Manning Multi-Faith Room (Chapel basement).
- Therapy Dogs with Sexual Violence Response Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Consultant Jade Lister — Thursday, November 17, 5-6 p.m. Space limited. Please book a timeslot in advance: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/WellnessEvents@mta.ca/bookings/
- All community members are invited to contribute to the development of Mount Allison’s new Positive Space training! Fill out the Transgender Awareness Week Positive Space Survey from Nov 14-20: https://forms.office.com/r/ZbRiWHZHn2
- Watch the Wellness Centre Instagram (@mtawellnesscentre) for posts about gender-affirming health care!
Students can access 24/7 support by calling Trans Lifeline at 1-877-330-6366, Student Wellness at 1-833-549-3281, or CHIMO at 1-800-667-5005.
External counselling is available for Mount Allison students, including Breelove Counselling, Iris Counselling and Consulting, and Little Cabin Counselling, which all direct bill through MASU Health Benefits. Free services are available through Atlantic Wellness (ages 12-21, call Mondays between 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m., 506-501-5504).