Professor, Canada Research Chair Tier 1 in Boron Chemistry
Lab: Barclay 202 (506) 364-2351
Research Area: Organometallics
Our research program focuses on the development of new catalytic and non-catalytic methods of preparing potentially bioactive boron and gallium compounds. Our team (tHe WiLd ToAdS) has had the privilege of working with many talented undergraduate students, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and research associates. Students receive proficient training in inorganic, organic, and organometallic chemistry as well as in a variety of experimental methods. Collaborations have been established whereby students spend time with other research groups gaining further experience with a number of different techniques. We have published 167 papers (excluding book chapters) with 167 different undergraduate authors as of April 2021 and helped send 123 students to graduate school in chemistry and biochemistry. We are able to provide students with high-caliber research and training that enable them to advance their careers and become useful contributors to the future of Canadian science, medicine, and technology.
Recent Selected Publications
- Invited Paper: Dedicated to Todd Marder on the Occasion of his 65 th Birthday ' 'The hydroboration of alpha-diimines' Geier, S. J.;* Binder, J. F.; Vogels, C. M.; Watanabe, L. K.; Macdonald, C. L. B.; Westcott, S. A.* New J. Chem . 2021 , 45 , accepted.
- 'Transition metal catalyst-free, base-promoted 1,2-additions of polyfluorophenylboronates to aldehydes and ketones' Liu, Z.; Kole, G. K.; Budiman, Y. P.; Tian, Y.-M.; Friedrich, A.; Luo, X.; Westcott, S. A.; Radius, U.;* Marder, T. B.* Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2021 , 60 , accepted.
- 'First-row d-block element-catalyzed boron-carbon bond formation and related processes' Bose, S. K.;* Mao, L.;* Kuehn, L.; Radius, U.;* Nekvinda, J.; Santos, W. L.;* Westcott, S. A.;* Steel, P. G.;* Marder, T. B.* Chem. Rev . 2021 , 121 , submitted. R
- 'Ni-Catalyzed borylation of aryl sulfoxides' Huang, M.; Luo, X.;* Wu, Z.; Krebs, J.; Friedrich, A.; Westcott, S. A.; Radius, U.;* Marder, T. B.* Chem. Eur. J. 2021 , 27 , accepted. F
- Hot Topic: Fluorine Chemistry ' Fluorinated aryl boronates as building blocks in organic synthesis' Budiman, Y. P.; Westcott, S. A.;* Radius, U.;* Marder, T. B.* ACS Catal. 2021 , 21 , accepted. R
- 'Copper-catalyzed oxidative cross-coupling of electron-deficient polyfluorophenyl-boronate esters with terminal alkynes' Liu, Z.; Budiman, Y. P.; Tian, Y.; Friedrich, A.; Huang, M.; Westcott, S. A.; Radius, U.;* Marder, T. B.* Chem. Eur. J. 2020 , 26 , 17267-17274. F
BSc (honours, May 1987), PhD (December 1992) — University of Waterloo
Steve Westcott received his PhD from the University of Waterloo under the joint supervision of Drs. Todd B. Marder (now at Universität Würzburg) and R. Tom Baker (now at the University of Ottawa) working on metal-catalyzed hydroborations. He was an NSERC PDF, where he spent one year at Emory University in Atlanta, and more than one year working with Maurice Brookhart at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC. He has been at Mount Allison University since August 1995 and is currently a Canada Research Chair in Boron Chemistry.
Our research focuses on the development of new catalytic and non-catalytic routes to potentially bioactive boron compounds.
Organometallic Boron Chemistry: A major focus in our lab is the development of novel metal complexes for their ability to catalyze the addition of B-E bonds (E = H, B, Si, S, Ge, N, P) to unsaturated organics
Bioinorganic: Palladium(II) and gallium(III) complexes have shown potential as anti-cancer agents and small-molecule boron compounds are being designed for their potential anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-mycobacterial, anti-tuberculosis, anti-thrombotic, anti-parasitic, and anti-cancer properties. We are also designing new boron compounds based on the structural motif of capsaicin, the active and hot ingredient in chili peppers.