Immigration documents
International students who will study in Canada for longer than six months must apply for a study permit. International students from some countries may also need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) before coming to Canada, which can be applied for at the same time as the study permit. Custodianship arrangements may be required for students who have not reached the legal age of majority (19 years or older) in New Brunswick. Information on how to apply for a study permit can be found on Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada’s website

International students who would like to work during their time in Canada should review the regulations for on-campus and off-campus employment.

International Centre
The International Centre is home to an array of programs and services that are designed to make the transition to academic and social life at Mount Allison an easier one for international students. For more information, see International Centre.

International Orientation
Mount Allison encourages new international students to arrive to campus early for International Orientation. International Orientation offers students the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the University and its services before all new students arrive on campus for University Orientation. The program is designed to introduce students to important aspects of university life and Canadian culture through interactive sessions, social events, and local field trips. For more information, see International Orientation. 

International mentorship program
This program is designed to make the transition to academic and social life at Mount Allison an easier one for students who are new to Canada. Students are matched with upper-year students who will help to facilitate the adjustment to student life and Canadian culture. For more information, see international mentorship program.

Academic support services for international students
Mount Allison recognizes the unique challenges that international students may face in transitioning to academic life in a Canadian university setting. Mount Allison’s International Centre offers services that are designed to assist international students in making a smooth transition into the Canadian academic system. These include: one-on-one academic counselling, academic skills workshops, ESL/EAL writing tutoring, final exam accommodation, and an academic support program for students experiencing difficulty maintaining good academic standing. For more information, see academic support.

Tax and immigration services
The International Centre offers workshops and help sessions for students with questions about Canadian tax regulations and immigration document application/renewal processes.  

Graduation preparation series (GPS)
The GPS program assists international students in planning and preparing for professional life in Canada after graduation. Topics include: immigration options post-graduation, resumé-writing, interview skills, and the Canadian job search. Students also have the opportunity to apply for internships, which give them the opportunity to gain valuable Canadian work experience. For more information, see GPS.

Health insurance
All students must have valid insurance coverage for the duration of their time at Mount Allison. The Mount Allison Students’ Union (MASU) provides extended health and dental coverage for all students. Full-time international students are additionally covered by the MASU basic medical insurance plan (September – August). Find out more at 

Fee payment options
University fees can be paid by bank transfer directly to Mount Allison or through a student’s Canadian bank account (which can be activated upon arrival in Sackville). See fee payment options.