If you are interested in staying in Canada after your post-graduation work permit expires, it may be possible to do so. You may be eligible to apply for permanent residency through one of Canada’s immigration programs. Two immigration streams are highlighted below: Canadian Experience Class and the New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program.

For full details and eligibility requirements for all Canadian immigration programs, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website: www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/

Canadian Experience Class

Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a category of permanent residency for certain skilled temporary workers and international students with Canadian work experience.

To apply for permanent residency status through the CEC, you must:

  • have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply
  • have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization
  • meet required language levels needed for your job
  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec

Please check the CIC website for the most up to date information on the Canadian Experience Class: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

The New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program

The New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program (NBPNP) is a provincial immigration program that selects, and nominates, qualified skilled workers for permanent residency from around the world who wish to live in New Brunswick.

If you are interested in settling in NB, learn more about NBPNP here: NB Provincial Nominee Program