Subject: categories: Re: gentle introduction to CT?

From: "Brett G. Giles" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:13:40 -0600

Hi Stephen

There are numerous books on Category Theory, but only one I can think of
fits your criteria. You may want to look at:
  Conceptual Mathematics
  by F.W. Lawvere and S. H. Schanuel
  ISBN 0-521-47817-0 (paperback)

It gives a good thorough intro to the subject.

Online and free is "A Gentle Introduction to Category Theory" by Maarten
Fokkinga at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~fokkinga/mmf92b.html

Depending on your math background, you may find the second a little fast
paced.

Good luck

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 17:19 -0400, Stephen Davies wrote:
> Hello all, I'm a complete novice to Category Theory, and I'm looking for
> some kind of tutorial or other introductory material that would help me
> at least get up to speed with the basics.  Maybe something that assumed
> some discrete math and abstract algebra, and proceeded to develop the
> topic for beginners.  Are there any intro texts like that out there?
> (And if not, would someone please write and publish one? :->)
>
>     Thanks,
>
>
> - Stephen Davies
>   ([email-masked])
>