Subject: categories: Summer School: Haute-Bodeux, 2007

From: Walter Tholen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:53:40 -0700

SUMMER SCHOOL ON
  CONTEMPORARY CATEGORICAL METHODS IN ALGEBRA AND TOPOLOGY

  Haute-Bodeux, Belgium, 3-10 June 2007

In the tradition of previous meetings held at this location, a Summer 
School on Contemporary Categorical Methods in Algebra and Topology will 
be held in Haute-Bodeux, a village in the Ardennes region of south-east 
Belgium, from June 3 (arrival day) until June 10, 2007 (departure day). 
The primary aim of the meeting is to provide students and young 
researchers who already have a working knowledge of categories with an 
opportunity to learn about various topics of interest in categorical 
algebra and topology, including

- categorical and topological aspects of semi-abelian theories,
- categorical descent and Galois theory,
- accessible categories and their applications to homotopy theory,
- lax-algebraic methods in categorical topology.

However, more established researchers in nearby fields who wish to 
enhance their knowledge on these topics are also welcome. Lecture series 
will be given by the following researchers who constitute the Scientific 
Committee of the meeting:

- Maria Manuel Clementino
- Dominique Bourn
- George Janelidze
- Jiri Rosicky
- Walter Tholen.

If time permits there will be an opportunity for participants to present 
talks on their own research. The local organizer of the Summer School is 
Francis Borceux. It is estimated that the total cost of the meeting will 
be about 975 Euros per person: this covers the registration fee, 
transportation from and to Brussels airport or Liège railway station (on 
the designated arrival and departure days), accommodation and meals 
(including conference dinner and drinks with meals), social activities 
and an excursion (excluding dinner on the excursion day). Unfortunately, 
the organizers do not have funds available to provide any financial 
support.

Accommodation in Haute-Bodeux is strictly limited, and attendance at the 
meeting will be by invitation only. However, anyone who wishes to be 
considered for invitation, or to propose names of people who might be 
invited, is asked to send an e-mail to Walter Tholen 
<[email-masked]> before the end of September 2006. It is 
expected that invitations will be sent out early in November 2006. Those 
invited will be sent formal letters of invitation to assist them in 
obtaining funding, and will also be provided with a reading list of 
material which may be assumed in the Summer School lectures.