Subject: categories: QPL 2006 Call for Participation, Student Support

From: [email-masked] (Peter Selinger)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:54:37 -0300 (ADT)

[Several of the talks in this workshop are about using categories to
model quantum information. Therefore, I hope this announcement is of
interest to the categories community. -PS]

			CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

     4th International Workshop on Quantum Programming Languages
			      (QPL 2006)

		       July 17-19, 2006, Oxford
     (held in conjunction with CKC, "Cats, Kets, and Cloisters")

	    http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/qpl2006/

				* * *
NEW:

 * list of accepted papers
 * available support for UK-based PhD students (deadline June 20)

OVERVIEW:

  The goal of this workshop is to bring together researchers working
  on mathematical foundations and programming languages for quantum
  computing. In the last few years, there has been a growing interest
  in logical tools, languages, and semantical methods for analyzing
  quantum computation. These foundational approaches complement the
  more mainstream research in quantum computation which emphasizes
  algorithms and complexity theory.

  Topics of interest include the design and semantics of quantum
  programming languages, new paradigms for quantum programming,
  specification of quantum algorithms, higher-order quantum
  computation, quantum data types, reversible computation, axiomatic
  approaches to quantum computation, abstract models for quantum
  computation, properties of quantum computing resources and
  primitives, concurrent and distributed quantum computation,
  compilation of quantum programs, semantical methods in quantum
  information theory, and categorical models for quantum computation.

  Previous workshops in this series were held in Ottawa (2003), Turku
  (2004), and Chicago (2005).

  This year's workshop will be held in Oxford, as part of the
  week-long event "Cats, Kets and Cloisters", July 17-23, 2006,
  which will include four workshops on related topics (See
  http://se10.comlab.ox.ac.uk:8080/FOCS/CKCinOXFORD_en.html).

LIST OF ACCEPTED PAPERS:

  B. Coecke,
   "Axiomatic description of mixed states from Selinger's CPM construction"

  B. Coecke, E.O. Paquette,
   "POVMs and Naimark's theorem without sums"

  Y. Delbecque,
   "A Quantum Game Semantics for the Measurement Calculus"

  A. Di Pierro, H. Wiklicky,
   "Semantic Abstraction and Quantum Computation (Extended Abstract)"

  A.S. Green, T. Altenkirch,
   "From reversible to irreversible computations"

  P. Jorrand, S. Perdrix,
   "A Quantum Calculus (Work in Progress)"

  M. Lampis, K.G. Ginis, N.S. Papaspyrou,
   "Quantum Data and Control Made Easier"

  P. Selinger,
   "Idempotents in dagger categories"

  P. Selinger, B. Valiron,
   "On a fully abstract model for a quantum linear functional language"

  J.K. Vizzotto, A.C. da Rocha Costa, A. Sabry,
   "Quantum Arrows in Haskell"

GRADUATE STUDENT SUPPORT: (Deadline June 20)

  A limited amount of financial support is available to support the
  participation of UK-based PhD students in the workshop. Students
  wishing to apply for this money should write to Simon Gay
  <[email-masked]> by June 20, and include the following
  information:

   1. A brief statement of your background as well as why you are
      interested in attending the conference.
   2. Describe any other sources of funding available for you to
      attend.
   3. An email letter of reference from your supervisor or an
      appropriate other person.

TUTORIALS:

  The workshop will include a number of invited tutorials and survey
  talks. One set of tutorials will be given by Sam Lomonaco; more
  details and additional speakers will shortly be announced on the
  workshop website, http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/qpl2006/

PROCEEDINGS:

  The workshop proceedings will be published in Electronic Notes in
  Theoretical Computer Science (ENTCS). A printed copy of the
  preliminary proceedings will be distributed to participants at the
  workshop.

REGISTRATION AND TRAVEL:

  Please register through the CKC website. There is a small workshop
  fee covering proceedings and coffee breaks. The website also
  includes hints on travel and accommodation.
  http://se10.comlab.ox.ac.uk:8080/FOCS/CKCinOXFORD_en.html.

IMPORTANT DATES/DEADLINES:

  Corrected papers for proceedings:	June 16, 2006
  Application for student funding:	June 20, 2006
  Workshop:				July 17-19, 2006

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:

  Samson Abramsky (Oxford)
  Bob Coecke (Oxford)
  Simon Gay (Glasgow)
  Philippe Jorrand (Grenoble)
  Prakash Panangaden (McGill)
  Peter Selinger (Dalhousie)

CONTACT INFORMATION:

  Organizer: Peter Selinger
  Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
  Email: [email-masked]

  Local organizer: Bob Coecke
  Oxford Computing Laboratory
  Email: [email-masked]

(revised June 5, 2006)