Subject: categories: 1cfp: calco'07 (2nd Conference on Algebra and Coalgebra in Computer Science), Bergen, Norway

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:12:57 +0200

*------------------------------------------------------------------*
*                         Call for Papers                          *
*                                                                  *
*                           CALCO 2007                             *
*                                                                  *
*   2nd Conference on Algebra and Coalgebra in Computer Science    *
*                                                                  *
*             August 20-24, 2007, Bergen, Norway                   *
*                                                                  *
*------------------------------------------------------------------*
*           Abstract submission :       January 28, 2007           *
*           Technical paper submission: February 7, 2007           *
*           Author notification:        March   28, 2007           *
*------------------------------------------------------------------*
*                 http://www.ii.uib.no/calco07/                    *
*------------------------------------------------------------------*

CALCO brings together researchers and practitioners to exchange new
results related to foundational aspects and both traditional and
emerging uses of algebras and coalgebras in computer science.

This is a high-level, bi-annual conference formed by joining the forces
and reputations of CMCS (the International Workshop on Coalgebraic Methods
in Computer Science), and WADT (the Workshop on Algebraic Development
Techniques). The first CALCO conference took place 2005 in Swansea,
Wales (http://www.cs.swan.ac.uk/calco/index.php), and was a huge success.

The second event will take place 2007 in Bergen, Norway. Its aim is to
be at least as successful.

CALCO 2007 will be preceded by two events:

  * CALCO-jnr - a CALCO Young Researchers Workshop dedicated to
    presentations by PhD students and by those who completed
    their doctoral studies within the past few years.

  * Tools & Application Day - providing the opportunity to give
    system demonstrations.

There will be separate submission procedures for CALCO-jnr and the Tools &
Application Day, respectively.

Topics of Interest
------------------
We invite submissions of technical papers that report results of
theoretical work on the mathematics of algebras and coalgebras, the
way these results can support methods and techniques for software
development, as well as experience with the transfer of resulting
technologies into industrial practise. We encourage submissions in
topics included or related to those in the lists below.

  * Abstract models and logics
    - Automata and languages,
    - Categorical semantics,
    - Modal logics,
    - Relational systems,
    - Graph transformation,
    - Term rewriting,
    - Adhesive categories

  * Specialised models and calculi
    - Hybrid, probabilistic, and timed systems,
    - Calculi and models of concurrent, distributed,
      mobile, and context-aware computing,
    - General systems theory and computational models
      (chemical, biological, etc)

  * Algebraic and coalgebraic semantics
    - Abstract data types,
    - Inductive and coinductive methods,
    - Re-engineering techniques (program transformation),
    - Semantics of conceptual modelling methods and techniques,
    - Semantics of programming languages

  * System specification and verification
    - Algebraic and coalgebraic specification,
    - Formal testing and quality assurance,
    - Validation and verification,
    - Generative programming and model-driven development,
    - Models, correctness and (re)configuration of
      hardware/middleware/architectures,
    - Process algebra

Submission Guidelines
---------------------
Prospective authors are invited to submit full papers in English
presenting original research. Submitted papers must be unpublished and
not submitted for publication elsewhere. Experience papers are
welcome, but they must clearly present general lessons learnt that
would be of interest and benefit to a broad audience of both
researchers and practitioners. As in 2005, it is planned to publish
the proceedings in the Springer LNCS series. Final papers will be no
more than 15 pages long in the format specified by Springer. It is
recommended that submissions adhere to that format and length (see
http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html). Submissions that are
clearly too long may be rejected immediately. Proofs omitted due to
space limitations may be included in a clearly marked appendix.  Paper
submissions will be made electronically at the conference web
site. Both an abstract and the full paper must be submitted by their
respective submission deadlines. A special issue of the new high-
quality open access journal Logical Methods in Computer Science
(http://www.lmcs-online.org), consisting of extended versions of
selected papers will be produced after the conference if there are
enough good papers that can be extended and revised to the standards of
this journal.

Important Dates (all in 2007)
-----------------------------
January 28      Abstract submission due
February 7      Technical paper submission due
March 28        Author notification
May 16          Camera ready due
-----------------------------
August 20       CALCO-jnr and Tools Day
August 21-24    CALCO technical programme
August 24       Post-conference meetings

Programme Committee
-------------------
Jiri Adamek, University of Braunschweig, D
Jose Fiadeiro, University of Leicester, UK
H.Peter Gumm, Philipps University, Marburg, D
Bartek Klin, University of Warsaw, PL
Bart Jacobs, University of Nijmegen, NL
Marina Lenisa, University of Udine, I
Ugo Montanari, University of Pisa, I (co-chair,
http://www.di.unipi.it/~ugo/)
Larry Moss, Indiana University, Bloomington, USA
Till Mossakowski, University of Bremen and DFKI Lab Bremen, D (co-chair,
http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~till/)
Peter Mosses, University of Wales Swansea, UK
Fernando Orejas, Politechnical University Catalonia, Barcelona, E
Prakash Panangaden, McGill University, CA
Dirk Pattinson, University of Leicester, UK
Dusko Pavlovic, Kestrel Institute, USA
Jean-Eric Pin, CNRS-LIAFA Paris, F
John Power, University of Edinburgh, UK
Horst Reichel, Technical University of Dresden, D
Grigore Rosu, University of Illinois, Urbana, USA
Jan Rutten, CWI and Free University, Amsterdam, NL
Davide Sangiorgi, University of Bologna, I
Andrzej Tarlecki, Warsaw University, PL
Martin Wirsing, Ludwig-Maximilian University, Munich, D
Uwe Wolter, University of Bergen, NO

Steering Committee
------------------
Jiri Adamek, Michel Bidoit, Corina Cirstea, Jose Fiadeiro (co-chair,
http://www.cs.le.ac.uk/people/jfiadeiro/), H.Peter Gumm, Magne
Haveraaen, Bart Jacobs, Hans-Joerg Kreowski, Alexander Kurz, Ugo
Montanari, Larry Moss, Till Mossakowski, Peter Mosses, Fernando Orejas,
Francesco Parisi-Presicce, John Power, Horst Reichel, Markus Roggenbach,
Jan Rutten (co-chair, http://homepages.cwi.nl/~janr/), Andrzej Tarlecki

Organising Committee
--------------------
Magne Haveraaen (chair, http://www.ii.uib.no/~magne/), Michal Walicki,
Uwe Wolter, University of Bergen, Norway
Yngve Lamo, Bergen University College, Norway

Location and Organisation
-------------------------
Bergen was Norway's first capital from the 13th century, and up until
the 1830's Norway's biggest town. Its placement has made it a natural
point through which foreign influences penetrated to Norway and
Scandinavia and the Norwegian export was leaving the country (centuries
of membership in the Hanseatic League with export of fish
and timber). Many of the wooden houses and larger facilities from the
Hanseatic times survived fires and modernisation and make up today a
charming town center.  Nowadays Bergen is small by international
standards, but it has always been a meeting place for people and a
centre for commerce and culture. Spectacular fjords and mountains
surrounding the town, combined with a lively and sociable atmosphere,
make it a worthwhile place to visit.

The conference will be held at Grand Hotel Terminus in the centre of
Bergen. The hotel will handle room bookings individually.  A social
programme will complement the scientific event.

Sponsored by Department of informatics, University of Bergen, Bergen
University College, and IFIP WG1.3 on Foundations of System
Specification. Further sponsorships pending.

-- 
http://www.ii.uib.no/calco07/