Subject: categories: SOS 2006 - Call for Papers

From: SOS 2006 Organisers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:54:31 +1000

Second Call for Papers:

         Structural Operational Semantics 2006

         A Satellite Workshop of CONCUR 2006

         August 26, 2006, Bonn, Germany

         http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~rvg/SOS2006

Aim: Structural operational semantics (SOS) provides a framework
for giving operational semantics to programming and specification
languages. A growing number of programming languages from
commercial and academic spheres have been given usable semantic
descriptions by means of structural operational semantics. Because
of its intuitive appeal and flexibility, structural operational
semantics has found considerable application in the study of the
semantics of concurrent processes. Moreover, it is becoming a
viable alternative to denotational semantics in the static analysis
of programs, and in proving compiler correctness.

Recently, structural operational semantics has been successfully
applied as a formal tool to establish results that hold for classes
of process description languages. This has allowed for the
generalisation of well-known results in the field of process
algebra, and for the development of a meta-theory for process
calculi based on the realization that many of the results in this
field only depend upon general semantic properties of language
constructs.

This workshop aims at being a forum for researchers, students and
practitioners interested in new developments, and directions for
future investigation, in the field of structural operational semantics.
One of the specific goals of the workshop is to establish synergies
between the concurrency and programming language communities working
on the theory and practice of SOS. Moreover, it aims at widening the
knowledge of SOS among postgraduate students and young researchers
worldwide.

Specific topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

  * programming languages
  * process algebras
  * higher-order formalisms
  * rule formats for operational specifications
  * meaning of operational specifications
  * comparisons between denotational, axiomatic and SOS
  * compositionality of modal logics with respect to
    operational specifications
  * congruence with respect to behavioural equivalences
  * conservative extensions
  * derivation of proof rules from operational specifications
  * software tools that automate, or are based on, SOS.

Papers reporting on applications of SOS to software engineering and
other areas of computer science are welcome.

History: The first SOS Workshop took place in August 2004 in London
as one of the satellite workshops of CONCUR 2004, and was attended
by over 30 participants [http://www.cs.aau.dk/~luca/SOS-WORKSHOP/].
The second SOS Workshop occurred in July 2005 in Lisbon as a
satellite workshop of ICALP 2005, and attracted 19 submissions
[http://www.cs.le.ac.uk/events/SOS2005/].

INVITED SPEAKERS:

  * Robin Milner (Cambridge, UK; joint invited speaker with EXPRESS 2006)

  * Bartek Klin (Sussex, UK)

PAPER SUBMISSION:

We solicit unpublished papers reporting on original research on the
general theme of SOS. Prospective authors should register their
intention to submit a paper by uploading a title and abstract via
the workshop web page by:

  *** Friday 26 May 2006. ***

Papers should take the form of a dvi, postscript or pdf file in
ENTCS format [http://www.entcs.org/], whose length should not exceed
15 pages (not including an optional "Appendix for referees" containing
proofs that will not be included in the final paper). We will also
consider 5-page papers describing tools to be demonstrated at the
workshop. Submissions from PC members are allowed.

Proceedings: Preliminary proceedings will be available at the meeting.
The final proceedings of the workshop will appear as a volume in the
ENTCS series.

If the quality and quantity of the submissions warrant it, the co-chairs
plan to arrange a special issue of an archival journal devoted to full
versions of selected papers from the workshop.

IMPORTANT DATES:

  * Submission of abstract: Friday 26 May 2006

  * Submission: Sunday 4 June 2006, midnight GMT

  * Notification: Wednesday 28 June 2006

  * Final version: Friday 14 July 2006

  * Workshop: Saturday 26 August 2006

  * Final ENTCS version: Friday 29 September 2006.

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

    Rocco De Nicola (Florence, IT)
    Wan Fokkink (Amsterdam, NL)
    Rob van Glabbeek (NICTA, AU, co-chair)
    Reiko Heckel (Leicester, UK)
    Matthew Hennessy (Sussex, UK)
    Ugo Montanari (Pisa, IT)
    Peter Mosses (Swansea, UK, co-chair)
    MohammadReza Mousavi (Eindhoven, NL)
    David Sands (Chalmers, SE)
    Irek Ulidowski (Leicester, UK)
    Shoji Yuen (Nagoya, JP)

CONTACT:

    [email-masked]

WORKSHOP ORGANISERS:

    Rob van Glabbeek
    National ICT Australia
    Locked Bag 6016
    University of New South Wales
    Sydney, NSW 1466
    Australia

    Peter D. Mosses
    Department of Computer Science
    Swansea University
    Singleton Park
    Swansea SA2 8PP
    United Kingdom