Subject: categories: SegraVis Advanced School on Visual Modelling Techniques

From: Georgios Lajios <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:31:25 +0100

[please forward this call to your students and colleagues]

The SegraVis Research Training Network invites doctoral students and
post-doctoral researchers from both within and outside the network to
join the

               Advanced School on Visual Modelling Techniques
              Friday Afternoon 08/09/2006 - Monday 11/09/2006
                at University of Leicester, United Kingdom

                     http://www.cs.le.ac.uk/events/segravis

OBJECTIVES
==========

Model-driven approaches to software development require precise
definitions for modelling languages, their syntax and semantics, their
notions of consistency and refinement, as well as their mappings into
implementations.

Modelling languages and processes, however, are subject to continuous
evolution, and different constellations and dialects are required in
different application domains, organisations, and even individual
projects. So in order to support model driven development in a variety
of contexts, we must find efficient ways of designing languages and
processes, accepting that definitions are subject to change and
extension and that tools need to be delivered in a timely fashion.

Thus, rather than ad-hoc solutions, a discipline of language engineering
is required to support the definition and implementation visual
modelling languages with respect to their

* abstract syntax and well-formedness rules
* operational and denotational semantics
* consistency and refinement relations
* model transformations

With this motivation, the objectives of this school are to provide
tutorial-like introductions to fundamental techniques supporting the
above tasks, to present examples of applications to specific languages
and problem domains, and to offer the opportunity for practical
experience in applying techniques and tools in sample projects.

LECTURE PROGRAM
===============

The School marks the closing of the SegraVis network on Syntactic and
Semantic Integration of Visual Modelling Techniques. Results of four
years of
work by its members and close correspondents will be presented through:
* introductory lectures
* tutorials on fundamental aspects
* advanced lectures
* application-oriented talks

School Speakers and Topics
==========================

KEYNOTE
Stuart Kent: Domain Specific Development: Present & Future

LECTURES
* Hartmut Ehrig: Algebraic Approach
* Gregor Engels: Graph Transformation for Service Specification
* José Fiadeiro: A Coordination Language for SOA
* Jan Hendrik Hausmann: Semantics of Visual Modelling Techniques
* Reiko Heckel: Graph Transformation in a Nutshell
* Hans-Jörg Kreowski: Advanced Transformation Concepts
* Tom Mens: Model-based Software Evolution
* Mark Minas: Syntax of Visual Modelling Techniques
* Ugo Montanari: Synchronized Hyperedge Replacement: Synchronization
Styles for Global Computing
* Arend Rensink: Analysis of Graph Transformation-based Models
* Grzegorz Rozenberg: DNA Computing
* Andy Schürr: Model Transformations
* Gabriele Taentzer: Graph Transformation-based Tools

VENUE
=====

The School will be held at Beaumont Hall, University of Leicester,
United Kingdom.
Beaumont Hall is delightfully located within the University Botanic
Gardens, providing
* Lecture halls, seminar rooms, computer facilities with Internet access
for every participant
* Optimal working atmosphere and en-suite accommodation

More information is available at http://www.le.ac.uk/conferences.

APPLICATIONS, NOTIFICATIONS, FEES, ETC.
=======================================

Candidates should fill out the application form provided at
http://www.cs.le.ac.uk/events/segravis/applicationform.txt
and send it via email to Georgios Lajios ([email-masked])
before May 31, 2006.

Notifications of acceptance will be sent out during June.

The participation fee, including full board and accomodation for 3 nights,
will be 225 British Pounds (about 325 Euro), approximately.
Information on how to register, travel information, etc.
shall be given with the notification of acceptance.

More information on the objectives, lecture program, applications, etc.
can be found at http://www.cs.le.ac.uk/events/segravis/.

The Organizers
Reiko Heckel and Karsten Ehrig and Georgios Lajios