Subject: categories: Cats, Kets and Cloisters, Oxford University, July 17-23 (2006)

From: Bob Coecke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:30:22 +0100

This summer several workshops will take place July 17-23 (2006) at Oxford
University:

        * NEW MODELS OF QUANTUM INFORMATICS

        * AXIOMATICS FOR QUANTUM MECHANICS

        * TENSORS KNOTS AND BRAIDS IN LOGIC AND PHYSICS

        * QUANTUM PROGRAMING LANGUAGES (QPL IV)

The whole event will take place under the name ``CATS, KETS and
CLOISTERS'':

        * http://se10.comlab.ox.ac.uk:8080/FOCS/CKCinOXFORD_en.html

[SURVEYS/TUTORIALS:] Each workshop will include tutorial and/or survey
talks.  Preliminary informal contacts concerning have confirmed several
people willing to provide these survey/tutorial lectures, including Samson
Abramsky (Oxford), Richard Jozsa (Bristol) and Sam Lomonaco Jr (UMBC),
among others.  Topics under consideration include: measurement-based
quantum computation, topological quantum computation, simulations of
quantum computations, knots and braids in logic, quantum geometry and
topology, categorical algebra for quantum mechanics, and semantics for
quantum computing.

[CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS:] The call for QPL IV is available at:

        * http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/qpl2006/

We invite you to propose contributions for the three other workshops,
either by submitting a short description, short abstract, extended
abstract or full paper.  These contributions will then be considered by
the Program Committee:

              Jens Eisert (Imperial College, UK)
              Richard Jozsa (University of Bristol, UK)
              Samuel Lomonaco Jr. (UMBC, Maryland, US)
              Prakash Panangaden (McGill University, CA)
              Phil Scott (University of Ottawa, CA)
              Samson Abramsky (University of Oxford, UK)
              Bob Coecke (University of Oxford, UK)

Relevant proposals for surveys/tutorials are also still welcome.
Preference will be given to talks which are accessible beyond the
boundaries of the distinct workshops.  The three workshops should indeed
be conceived as ``themes'' within a bigger event.  Slots will be allocated
to speakers to some extend on a first-come-first-serve base, subject to a
quality check and ``sufficiently broad relevance'' check by the PC.
Please send your contributions to:

        * [email-masked]

[POSTER SESSION:] Students and other young researchers in particular are
encouraged to propose posters, which will be displayed in the workshop
area throughout the whole event, and to which a session will be dedicated.

[PRACTICALITIES:] The local organizing committee consists of:

              Samson Abramsky (Computing)
              Dan Browne (Physics)
              Bob Coecke (Computing)
              Hilary Priestley (Mathematics)

Oxford is a pleasant place to visit during the summer, with many things to
see (including London, only an hour by train), and a wealth of tourist
attractions and beautiful country-side conveniently accessible.

        * http://www.oxfordcity.co.uk/

Oxford has a wide variety of places to stay, including both junior and
senior College Accomodation, Hotels, Hostels, and Bed and Breakfasts
(B&Bs) and Guest Houses. We would in particular recommend the B&Bs and
Guest Houses since they tend to be much cheaper than hotels, and the
British breakfast keeps you going for the whole day. For detailed
information concerning accommodation in Oxford please consult:

        * http://se10.comlab.ox.ac.uk:8080/FOCS/Where_to_stay_en.html

For traveling to Oxford please consult:

        * http://se10.comlab.ox.ac.uk:8080/FOCS/Where_to_go_en.html