Subject: categories: 4th workshop on Quantum Programming Languages

From: [email-masked] (Peter Selinger)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:42:40 -0400 (AST)

[Category theory is used heavily in the semantics of programming
languages, and it used in interesting ways in the semantics of quantum
programming languages. Therefore, this announcement might be of
interest to the categories community. -PS]

			   CALL FOR PAPERS

     4th International Workshop on Quantum Programming Languages
			      (QPL2006)

		       July 17-19, 2006, Oxford

	    http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/qpl2006/

				* * *

  The goal of this workshop is to bring together researchers working
  on mathematical foundations and programming languages for quantum
  computing. In the last few years, there has been a growing interest
  in logical tools, languages, and semantical methods for analyzing
  quantum computation. These foundational approaches complement the
  more mainstream research in quantum computation which emphasizes
  algorithms and complexity theory.

  Possible topics include the design and semantics of quantum
  programming languages, new paradigms for quantum programming,
  specification of quantum algorithms, higher-order quantum
  computation, quantum data types, reversible computation, axiomatic
  approaches to quantum computation, abstract models for quantum
  computation, properties of quantum computing resources and
  primitives, concurrent and distributed quantum computation,
  compilation of quantum programs, semantical methods in quantum
  information theory, and categorical models for quantum computation.

  Previous workshops in this series were held in Ottawa (2003), Turku
  (2004), and Chicago (2005).

  This year's workshop will be held in Oxford, as part of the
  week-long event "Cats, Kets and Cloisters", July 17-23, 2006,
  which will include four workshops on related topics (See
  http://se10.comlab.ox.ac.uk:8080/FOCS/CKCinOXFORD_en.html).

TUTORIALS:

  The first day of the workshop, July 17, will consist of tutorials,
  followed by two days of contributed research talks.

SUBMISSION PROCEDURE:

  Prospective speakers should submit a detailed abstract (or extended
  abstract) of 5-12 pages.  Submissions of works in progress are
  encouraged, but must be more substantial than a research proposal.
  Submissions must provide sufficient detail to allow the program
  committee to assess the merits of the work. Submissions should be
  in Postscript or PDF format, and should be sent to
  [email-masked] by May 10 (please put "workshop
  submission" in the subject line). Receipt of all submissions will
  be acknowledged by return email.

IMPORTANT DATES/DEADLINES:

  Submissions:				May 10, 2006
  Notification of acceptance:		May 31, 2006
  Corrected papers:			June 14, 2006
  Workshop:				July 17-19, 2006

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:

  Samson Abramsky (Oxford)
  Bob Coecke (Oxford)
  Simon Gay (Glasgow)
  Philippe Jorrand (Grenoble)
  Prakash Panangaden (McGill)
  Peter Selinger (Dalhousie)

CONTACT INFORMATION:

  Organizer: Peter Selinger
  Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
  Email: [email-masked]

  Local organizer: Bob Coecke
  Oxford Computing Laboratory
  Email: [email-masked]

(revised Mar 16, 2006)