Subject: categories: Re: cracks and pots

From: Eduardo Dubuc <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:26:38 -0300 (ART)

Well Robert, you are right in every particular fact and detail about
Einstein and about relativity, there is not question about this. But there
is not question either that is not Einstein or relativity that concern us
here.

I am right about the fact that introducing Einstein and differential
geometry into our present discussion on the interaction of string theory
and category theory was an infantile attempt to attack Motl's views. Worst
than that, it introduces a distraction to Marta's principal issues.

I can not be on the side of Motl, neither on the side of Baez, since I am
ignorant about string theory. I point out that the Motl-Baez interaction
gives rise to important issues that concern what it is good and what is
bad mathematics or physics. In particular, what is good and what is bad
category theory. Also, the meaning and profitable consequences of being in
a fashionable subject. These issues were clearly exposed in Marta's
postings, and we should be ready to talk about them publicly.

In March 16 we got very good and pertinent postings that make us see other
angles, think and learn: Baez's, Paul Taylor's, Dusko's and Vincent
Shmitt's postings.

Silences are also meaningful.

e.d.