Subject: categories: Graphical Database for Category Theory (GDCT 3.0)

From: Bob Rosebrugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:50:26 -0400 (AST)

Dear Colleagues,

This is to announce a new release of a Java application for storage and
display of finitely presented categories and functors among them.

GDCT is a tool for the creation, editing, display and storage of finitely
presented categories. Categories can be opened and saved from local files
as well as loaded from a user-specified server. Open categories can be
displayed graphically, and the graphical display can be manipulated (in 3
dimensions) and stored. Several tools for testing properties of objects
and arrows can be applied.

Functors between stored categories can also be created and stored. Open
functors can be displayed as diagrams and with a domain/codomain display.

This version of GDCT contains some enhancements:

- Moved to a desktop-style interface, where multiple categories and
functors can be opened in their own respective windows

- Implemented pullback, pushout, create product, create sum, and partial
order category tools.

A built-in help system describes how to use GDCT.

The application is available for download at
 http://mathcs.mta.ca/research/rosebrugh/gdct/
and is linked from
 http://www.mta.ca/~rrosebru/

Instructions for setting up GDCT are are on the Web pages:

- users may download a zipped archive providing the application;

- source code is available.

Graphical Database for Category Theory was developed by Jeremy Bradbury,
Ian Rutherford, M. Graves, J. Tweedle and R. Rosebrugh with support from
NSERC Canada.

We are interested in any response from users, and would also appreciate
receiving any reports of difficulties in function or usability.

Bob Rosebrugh