Subject: categories: WS-FM 2006 Call For Papers

From: Mario Bravetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:19:57 +0100

3rd International Workshop on
                     Web Services and Formal Methods
                              (WS-FM 2006)
                 8-9 September 2006, Vienna, Austria
                       http://cs.unibo.it/ws-fm06

             Official event of "The Process Modelling Group"
                 http://www.process-modelling-group.org

                        Co-located with BPM 2006
      4th International Conference on Business Process Management
                       http://bpm2006.tuwien.ac.at

SCOPE

  Web Services technology aims at providing standard mechanisms for
  describing the interface and the services available on the web, as well
  as protocols for locating such services and invoking them (e.g. WSDL,
  UDDI, SOAP). Innovations are mainly devoted to the definition of
  standards that support the specification of complex services out of
  simpler ones (the so called Web Service orchestration and
  choreography). Several proposals have been already set up: BPML, XLANG
  and BizTalk, WSFL, WS-BPEL, WS-CDL, etc...

  Formal methods, which provide formal machinery for representing and
  analysing the behavior of communicating concurrent/distributed systems,
  are playing a fundamental role in the development of such
  innovations. First of all they are exploited to understand the basic
  mechanisms (in terms of semantics) which characterize different
  orchestration and choreography languages and to focus on the essence
  of new features that are needed. Secondly they provide a formal
  basis for reasoning about Web Service semantics (behaviour and
  equivalence): e.g. for realizing registry services where retrieval
  is based on the meaning and behaviour of a service and not just a
  Web Service name. Thirdly, the studies on formal coordination paradigms
  can be exploited for developing mechanisms for complex run-time Web
  Service coordination. Finally, given the importance of critical
  application areas for Web Services like E-commerce, the development of
  the Web Service technology can certainly take advantage from formal
  analisys of security properties and performance in concurrency theory.

  The aim of the workshop is to bring together researchers working on Web
  Services and Formal Methods in order to facilitate fruitful
  collaboration in this direction of research. This, potentially, could
  also have a great impact on the current standardization phase of Web
  Service technologies.

LIST OF TOPICS

  The topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

    - Protocols and standards for WS (SOAP, WSDL, UDDI, etc... )
    - Languages and description methodologies for
      Coreography/Orchestration/Workflow
      (BPML, XLANG and BizTalk, WSFL, WS-BPEL, WS-CDL, YAWL, etc... )
    - Coordination techniques for WS
      (transactions, agreement, coordination services, etc...)
    - Semantics-based dynamic WS discovery services
      (based on Semantic Web/Ontology techniques or other semantic
      theories)
    - Security, Performance Evaluation and Quality of Service of WS
    - Semi-structured data and XML related technologies

SUBMISSIONS

  Submissions must be original and should not have been published
  previously or be under consideration for publication while being
  evaluated for this workshop.

  We encourage also the submission of tool papers, describing tools
  based on formal methods, to be exploited in the context of Web Services
  applications.

  Papers are to be prepared in LNCS format and must not exceed
  15 pages. Accepted papers will be published in the workshop proceedings
  as a volume of Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS).

  As done for previous editions of the workshop, we intend to publish a
  journal special issue inviting full versions of papers selected among
  those presented at the workshop.

IMPORTANT DATES

  April 21, 2006: Submission deadline
  June 6, 2006: Notification of acceptance
  June 20, 2006: Camera ready
  September 8-9, 2006: Workshop dates

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Co-Chairs

  Mario Bravetti 	University of Bologna, Italy
  Gianluigi Zavattaro	University of Bologna, Italy

Board of "The Process Modelling Group"

  Wil van der Aalst	   Eindhoven Univ.of Technology, The Netherlands
  Rob van Glabbeek 	   NICTA, Sydney, Australia
  Keith Harrison-Broninski  Role Modellers Ltd.
  Robin Milner 		   Cambridge University, UK
  Roger Whitehead	   Office Futures

Other PC members

  Marco Aiello  		University of Trento, Italy
  Farhad Arbab		CWI, The Netherlands
  Matteo Baldoni		University of Torino, Italy
  Jean-Pierre Banatre 	University of Rennes1 and INRIA, France
  Boualem Benatallah  	University of New South Wales, Australia
  Karthik Bhargavan 	Microsoft research Cambridge, UK
  Roberto Bruni  	University of Pisa, Italy
  Michael Butler  	University of Southampton, UK
  Fabio Casati 		HP Labs, USA
  Rocco De Nicola  	University of Florence, Italy
  Marlon Dumas		Queensland University of Technology, Australia
  Schahram Dustdar  	Wien University of Technology, Austria
  Gianluigi Ferrari  	University of Pisa, Italy
  Jose Luiz Fiadeiro  	University of Leicester, UK
  Stefania Gnesi 	CNR Pisa, Italy
  Reiko Heckel  		University of Leicester, UK
  Kohei Honda		Queen Mary, University of London, UK
  Nickolas Kavantzas  	Oracle Co., USA
  Leila Kloul 		Université de Versailles, France
  Cosimo Laneve		University of Bologna, Italy
  Mark Little  		JBoss Inc
  Natalia López 		University Complutense of Madrid, Spain
  Roberto Lucchi 	University of Bologna, Italy
  Jeff Magee  		Imperial College London, UK
  Fabio Martinelli  	CNR Pisa, Italy
  Manuel Mazzara		University of Bolzano, Italy
  Ugo Montanari		University of Pisa, Italy
  Shin Nakajima  	National Institute of Informatics and JST, Japan
  Manuel Nunez  		University Complutense of Madrid, Spain
  Fernando Pelayo 	University of Castilla-La Mancha, Albacete,Spain
  Marco Pistore 		University of Trento, Italy
  Wolfgang Reisig  	Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
  Vladimiro Sassone 	University of Southampton, UK
  Marjan Sirjani         Tehran University, Iran
  Friedrich Vogt 	Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg, Germany
  Martin Wirsing		Ludwig-Maximilians University Munchen, Germany