Subject: categories: CT2006: deadlines and Mac Lane, Eilenberg special session

From: [email-masked] (Peter Selinger)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:33:53 -0400 (AST)

ANNOUNCEMENT OF SPECIAL SESSION IN HONOR OF
		 THE WORKS OF MAC LANE AND EILENBERG

				 and

		    REMINDER OF UPCOMING DEADLINES

	       International Category Theory Conference
			       CT 2006

			June 25 - July 1, 2006
		       White Point, Nova Scotia

	     http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/ct2006/

				* * *

SPECIAL SESSION ON THE WORKS OF MAC LANE AND EILENBERG
------------------------------------------------------

  A special commemorative session in honor of the two founders of
  category theory, Saunders Mac Lane and Samuel Eilenberg, will be
  held at CT 2006. Contributors who are interested in having their
  talk be part of this special session should indicate so when they
  submit their abstract.  Since the special session will be one-half
  day, only a limited number of talks can be accommodated.

UPCOMING DEADLINES:
-------------------

 February 27: Submission of Abstracts
 ------------

  Prospective speakers should submit an abstract of up to one page.
  Abstracts should be sufficiently detailed to allow the scientific
  committee to assess the merits of the work.  Submissions should be
  in plain text, Postscript, or PDF format, and must be sent to
  [email-masked] by FEBRUARY 27.  (Proposals for talks at the
  special session on Mac Lane and Eilenberg will be accepted until
  March 15).  Receipt of all submissions will be acknowledged by
  return email. Authors will be notified by March 30 of the acceptance
  of their talks.

 March 1: Early (=cheaper) Registration
 --------

  This is a reminder that participants have to register by MARCH 1 to
  take advantage of the cheaper rate of $120 (regular) or $75
  (reduced).  After March 1, the registration fees will increase to
  $150 (regular) and $100 (reduced). So please register now at:
  https://sigma.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/ct2006/registration.php

  In case someone needs to cancel their registration, it will be
  possible to do so (for a full refund of the registration fee) until
  April 20.

  We also recommend that you book your rooms at Whitepoint as soon as
  possible. See the CT 2006 website for details.

				* * *

 (The remainder of this announcement contains information repeated
 from previous announcements.)

 The International Category Theory Conference (CT) covers all areas of
 pure and applied category theory. Topics of interest include, but are
 not limited to: higher dimensional categories, categorical logic,
 applications of categories in algebra, topology, combinatorics, and
 other areas of mathematics, applications of category theory to
 computer science, physics and other mathematical sciences. Previous
 meetings in this series were held in Vancouver (2004), Como (2000),
 Coimbra (1999), Vancouver (1997), Halifax (1995), Tours (1994), Isle
 of Thorns (1992), Montreal (1991), and Como (1990).

 CT 2006 will be held at White Point Beach Resort
 (http://www.whitepoint.com/), a seaside resort in Nova Scotia
 (Canada), about 100 minutes' drive from Halifax. It will be an active
 research-oriented conference, in something of an "Oberwolfach style".
 All those interested in category theory and its applications are
 welcome.

INVITED SPEAKERS: (updated)

 Invited lectures will be given by:

 Kathryn Hess (EPF Lausanne)
 Steve Lack (University of Western Sydney)
 Tom Leinster (University of Glasgow)
 Steve Schanuel (SUNY Buffalo)
 Peter Selinger (Dalhousie University)

REGISTRATION:

 The registration fees for CT 2006 are as follows:

  If registering by March 1 (early registration):
  Regular      --  $120
  Reduced (*)  --   $75

  If registering after March 1 (late registration):
  Regular      --  $150
  Reduced (*)  --  $100

  (*) the reduced registration fee applies to students, postdocs, and
  researchers without grant.

 Please register at:
 https://sigma.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/ct2006/registration.php

ACCOMMODATIONS, ARRIVAL, DEPARTURE:

 Please book your rooms at White Point Beach Resort as soon as
 possible. We encourage all participants to book this by the end of
 January; keep in mind that it can be canceled later for a $5 fee.

 The normal arrival date is Sunday, June 25, and the normal departure
 date is Saturday, July 1. There will be an informal opening reception
 / buffet dinner on June 25 from 6:30-10:30pm. The normal check-in
 time is 2pm and check-out time is 11am. If you need to make special
 arrangements for early arrival or late departure, please make them by
 contacting White Point directly.

 The conference venue offers a choice of accommodation, both in
 comfortable finished cabins and in "hotel-style" rooms. All meals are
 included in the price of the rooms.

 Subject to availability, White Point Beach Resort has agreed to
 extend the conference rates to the weeks before and after the
 conference in case any guests wish to stay longer. If you would like
 to arrange this, please contact White Point directly.

 For reservations, please contact White Point Beach Resort:

        Tel: 1-800-565-5068 (U.S. and Canada)
        Tel: +1-902-354-2711 (international)
        Fax: +1-902-354-7278
        Email reservations: [email-masked]

AIRPORT TRANSPORTATION:

 We will arrange for shared transportation between Halifax
 International Airport and White Point Beach Resort on the days of
 arrival and departure, at no extra charge to conference participants
 and their guests. To take advantage of this, please let us know, at
 [email-masked], your arrival and departure times, airline, and
 flight numbers, as soon as you have this information.

 Please note that White Point Beach Resort is 100 minutes driving
 distance from the airport, and there is no convenient alternative
 transportation available except for renting a car.

IMPORTANT DEADLINES:

 Jan 25, 2006: early booking of rooms
 Feb 15, 2006: application for graduate student support
 Feb 27, 2006: submission of abstracts
 Mar 1, 2006: early registration
 Mar 15, 2006: proposals for special session talks
 Mar 30, 2006: notification of authors
 Apr 20, 2006: booking of rooms
 Apr 20, 2006: cancellation of registrations

SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE:

 Jiri Adamek
 John Baez
 Michael Barr
 Eugenia Cheng
 Maria Manuel Clementino
 Marcelo Fiore
 Peter Freyd
 Jonathon Funk
 Peter Johnstone
 Steve Lack
 Susan Niefield
 Phil Scott
 Ross Street
 Walter Tholen (chair)
 Enrico Vitale

ORGANIZERS:

 Robert Dawson ([email-masked])
 Dorette Pronk ([email-masked])
 Peter Selinger ([email-masked])

CONFERENCE EMAIL AND WEBSITE:

 [email-masked]
 http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/ct2006/