Subject: categories: MPC 2006 2nd Call for Papers

From: Tarmo Uustalu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:39:26 +0200

NEWS:

- Invited speakers: 
  Robin Cockett, University of Calgary
  Olivier Danvy, Aarhus Universitet
  Oege de Moor, University of Oxford 

- The paper submission system is open.

- Two satellite workshops:
  Constructive Methods for Parallel Programming, CMPP
  Mathematically Structured Functional Programming, MSFP

                    SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

               8th International Conference on 
             Mathematics of Program Construction
                           MPC '06

             Kuressaare, Estonia,  3-5 July 2006

              http://cs.ioc.ee/mpc-amast06/mpc/

                   colocated with AMAST '06

Background

The biennial MPC conferences aim to promote the development of
mathematical principles and techniques that are demonstrably useful
and usable in the process of constructing computer programs. Topics of
interest range from algorithmics to support for program construction
in programming languages and systems.

The previous conferences were held in Twente, The Netherlands (1989),
Oxford, UK (1992), Kloster Irsee, Germany (1995), Marstrand, Sweden
(1998), Ponte de Lima, Portugal (2000), Dagstuhl, Germany (2002) and
Stirling, UK (2004, colocated with AMAST '04). The 2006 conference
will be held at Kuressaare, Estonia, colocated with AMAST '06.

Invited speakers

Robin Cockett, University of Calgary
Olivier Danvy, Aarhus Universitet
Oege de Moor, University of Oxford

Important dates

    * Submission of abstracts: 27 January 2006
    * Submission of full papers: 3 February 2006
    * Notification of authors: 17 March 2006
    * Camera-ready version: 14 April 2006

Topics

Papers are solicited on mathematical methods and tools put to use in
program construction. Topics of interest range from algorithmics to
support for program construction in programming languages and
systems. Some typical areas are type systems, program analysis and
transformation, programming language semantics, program logics.
Theoretical contributions are welcome provided their relevance for
program construction is clear. Reports on applications are welcome
provided their mathematical basis is evident.

Submission and publication

Submission is in two stages. Abstracts (plain text) must be submitted
by 27 January 2006. Full papers (pdf) adhering to the llncs style must
be submitted by 3 February 2006. There is no official page limit, but
authors should strive for brevity. The web-based submission system is
open. Papers must report previously unpublished work and not be
submitted concurrently to another conference with refereed
proceedings. PC members may submit. Accepted papers must be presented
at the conference by one of the authors.

The proceedings of MPC '06 will be published in the Lecture Notes in
Computer Science series of Springer-Verlag.

After the conference, the authors of the best papers will be invited
to submit revised versions to a special issue of the Science of
Computer Programming journal of Elsevier. 

Programme committee

Tarmo Uustalu, Institute of Cybernetics, Tallinn (chair)

Roland Backhouse, University of Nottingham
Eerke Boiten, University of Kent
Venanzio Capretta, University of Ottawa
Sharon Curtis, Oxford Brookes University
Jules Desharnais, Université de Laval
Jeremy Gibbons, University of Oxford
Lindsay Groves, Victoria University of Wellington
Ian Hayes, University of Queensland
William Harrison, University of Missouri
Johan Jeuring, Universiteit Utrecht
Dexter Kozen, Cornell University
Christian Lengauer, Universität Passau
Lambert Meertens, Kestrel Institute
Bernhard Möller, Universität Augsburg
Shin-Cheng Mu, University of Tokyo
José Oliveira, Universidade do Minho
Alberto Pardo, Universidad de la República
Ross Paterson, City University London
Ingrid Rewitzky, University of of Stellenbosch
Varmo Vene, University of Tartu

Satellite workshops

Two workshops will be held in conjunction with MPC 2006 as satellites
on 2 July 2006:

5th International Workshop on Constructive Methods for 
Parallel Programming, CMPP 2006

Workshop on Mathematically Structured Functional Programming, 
MSFP 2006

Venue

Kuressaare (pop. 16000) is the main town on Saaremaa, the
second-largest island of the Baltic Sea. Kuressaare is a charming
seaside resort on the shores of the Gulf of Riga highly popular with
Estonians as well as visitors to Estonia.

The scientific sessions of MPC/AMAST 2006 will take place at Saaremaa
Spa Hotel Meri, one among the several new spa hotels in the town. The
social events will involve a number of sites, including the
14th-century episcopal castle. Accommodation will be at Saaremaa Spa
Hotels Meri and Rüütli.

To get to Kuressaare and away, one must pass through Tallinn
(pop. 402000), Estonia's capital city. Tallinn is famous for its
picturesque medieval Old Town, inscribed on UNESCO's World Heritage
List.

Local organizers

MPC/AMAST 2006 is organized by Institute of Cybernetics, a research
institute of Tallinn University of Technology.

The local organizers are Tarmo Uustalu (chair), Monika Perkmann, Juhan
Ernits, Ando Saabas, Olha Shkaravska, Kristi Uustalu.

Contact email address: mpc06(at)cs.ioc.ee.