Subject: categories: An International Symposium Celebrating the 100th Birthday of Kurt =

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:59:42 -0400

G=F6del
From: [email-masked]
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk

Horizons of Truth

Logics, Foundations of Mathematics, and the Quest for Understanding the
Nature of Knowledge. G=F6del Centenary 2006

An International Symposium Celebrating the 100th Birthday of Kurt G=F6del

27.-29. April 2006 Festsaal of the University of Vienna

     Organized by the Kurt G=F6del Society

The Symposium will take place April 27- 29 in the Celebration Hall of the
University of Vienna, famous for its architectural beauty and Gustav
Klimt murals. More than 20 lectures by eminent scientists in the fields
of logics, mathematics, philosophy, physics, cosmology, and theology will
provide new insights into the life and work of Kurt G=F6del and their
implications for future generations.

A young researcher's competition will allow 10 young researchers to
present their projects to an eminent audience, the awards being presented
at Belvedere Palace on Friday, April 28, Kurt G=F6del's 100th birthday. The
first prize in the amount 20 000 EUR will be awarded to the best project,
followed by two additional prizes of 5000 EUR each.

A poster session, containing presentations of selected posters will be
held in the Small Celebration Hall, and the Senate Hall of the University
of Vienna. The poster volume will be published by the Kurt G=F6del Society
after the Symposium and sent to all authors.

An exhibition on G=F6del life and work will be held in the old library of
the University of Vienna throughout the Symposium.

Honorary Chair: Gaisi Takeuti, University of Tsukuba, President of the
Kurt G=F6del Society

Invited Speakers:

John D. Barrow, University of Cambridge
Gregory J. Chaitin, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, New York
Paul Cohen, Stanford University
Jack Copeland, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
George Ellis, University of Cape Town
Solomon Feferman, Stanford University
Harvey Friedman, Ohio State University
Ivor Grattan-Guinness, Middlesex University
Petr Hajek, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
Juliette Kennedy, University of Helsinki
Ulrich Kohlenbach, Darmstadt University of Technology
Georg Kreisel, Royal Society
Angus John Macintyre, Royal Society
Piergiorgio Odifreddi, University of Turin
Christos H. Papdimitiriou, University of California, Berkeley
Roger Penrose, University of Oxford
Hilary Putnam, Harvard University
Wolfgang Rindler, University of Texas, Dallas
Dana Scott, Carnegie Mellon University
Avi Wigderson, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton
Hugh Woodin, University of California, Berkeley

Invited Presentation: Andrei Voronkov, University of Manchester and
Microsoft

Web and registration:
<http://www.logic.at/goedel2006/>http://www.logic.at/goedel2006/