Subject: categories: CT 2006: student support and registration

From: [email-masked] (Peter Selinger)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:29:58 -0400 (AST)

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

	       International Category Theory Conference
			       CT 2006

			June 25 - July 1, 2006
		       White Point, Nova Scotia

	     http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/ct2006/

				* * *

 IMPORTANT NEWS CONTAINED IN THIS ANNOUNCEMENT:
  * invited speakers
  * graduate student support (application deadline Feb 15!)
  * submission of abstracts (deadline Feb 27!)
  * registration is now open
  * arrival and departure information
  * airport information

 The International Category Theory Conference (CT) covers all areas of
 pure and applied category theory. Topics of interest include, but are
 not limited to: higher dimensional categories, categorical logic,
 applications of categories in algebra, topology, combinatorics, and
 other areas of mathematics, applications of category theory to
 computer science, physics and other mathematical sciences. Previous
 meetings in this series were held in Vancouver (2004), Como (2000),
 Coimbra (1999), Vancouver (1997), Halifax (1995), Tours (1994), Isle
 of Thorns (1992), Montreal (1991), and Como (1990).

 CT 2006 will be held at White Point Beach Resort
 (http://www.whitepoint.com/), a seaside resort in Nova Scotia
 (Canada), about 100 minutes' drive from Halifax. It will be an active
 research-oriented conference, in something of an "Oberwolfach style".
 All those interested in category theory and its applications are
 welcome.

INVITED SPEAKERS: ***NEW***

 The scientific committee has chosen five invited speakers, of whom
 the following four have already confirmed their participation:

 Kathryn Hess (EPF Lausanne)
 Steve Lack (University of Western Sydney)
 Tom Leinster (University of Glasgow)
 Peter Selinger (Dalhousie University)

GRADUATE STUDENT SUPPORT: ***NEW***

 Please encourage your graduate students to attend this conference. A
 limited amount of funding will be available to support the
 participation of graduate students. Students wishing to apply for
 this money should contact the organizers at [email-masked] by
 FEBRUARY 15, and include the following information:

   1. A one-page email letter stating your background as well as why
      you are interested in attending the conference.
   2. The letter should also describe any other sources of funding
      available to you to attend.
   3. An email letter of reference from your supervisor or an
      appropriate other person.

TO GIVE A TALK:

 Prospective speakers should submit an abstract of up to one page.
 Abstracts should be sufficiently detailed to allow the scientific
 committee to assess the merits of the work.  Submissions should be in
 plain text, Postscript, or PDF format, and must be sent to
 [email-masked] by FEBRUARY 27. Receipt of all submissions will
 be acknowledged by return email. Authors will be notified by March 30
 of the acceptance of their talks.

REGISTRATION: ***NEW***

 Registration is now open. The registration fees for CT 2006 are as
 follows:

  If registering by March 1 (early registration):
  Regular      --  $120
  Reduced (*)  --   $75

  If registering after March 1 (late registration):
  Regular      --  $150
  Reduced (*)  --  $100

  (*) the reduced registration fee applies to students, postdocs, and
  researchers without grant.

 There are two easy methods to register for CT 2006. The preferred
 method is to use our secure online registration form, which allows
 you to pay the registration fee by credit card:

  https://sigma.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/ct2006/registration.php

 An alternate paper registration form is also available on the same
 website, for those who wish to fax or mail their registration and
 payment.

 Please remember that, in addition to registering, you also need to
 reserve your accomodations with White Point Beach Resort. See the
 conference website for details.

ACCOMMODATIONS, ARRIVAL, DEPARTURE: ***IMPORTANT***

 Please book your rooms at White Point Beach Resort as soon as
 possible. We encourage all participants to book this by the end of
 January; keep in mind that it can be canceled later for a $5 fee.

 The normal arrival date is Sunday, June 25, and the normal departure
 date is Saturday, July 1. There will be an informal opening reception
 / buffet dinner on June 25 from 6:30-10:30pm. The normal check-in
 time is 2pm and check-out time is 11am. If you need to make special
 arrangements for early arrival or late departure, please make them by
 contacting White Point directly.

 The conference venue offers a choice of accommodation, both in
 comfortable finished cabins and in "hotel-style" rooms. All meals are
 included in the price of the rooms.

 Subject to availability, White Point Beach Resort has agreed to
 extend the conference rates to the weeks before and after the
 conference in case any guests wish to stay longer. If you would like
 to arrange this, please contact White Point directly.

 For reservations, please contact White Point Beach Resort:

        Tel: 1-800-565-5068 (U.S. and Canada)
        Tel: +1-902-354-2711 (international)
        Fax: +1-902-354-7278
        Email reservations: [email-masked]

AIRPORT TRANSPORTATION: ***NEW***

 We will arrange for shared transportation between Halifax
 International Airport and White Point Beach Resort on the days of
 arrival and departure, at no extra charge to conference participants
 and their guests. To take advantage of this, please let us know, at
 [email-masked], your arrival and departure times, airline, and
 flight numbers, as soon as you have this information.

 Please note that White Point Beach Resort is 100 minutes driving
 distance from the airport, and there is no convenient alternative
 transportation available except for renting a car.

IMPORTANT DEADLINES:

 Jan 25, 2006: early booking of rooms
 Feb 15, 2006: application for graduate student support
 Feb 27, 2006: submission of abstracts
 Mar 1, 2006: early registration
 Mar 30, 2006: notification of authors
 Apr 20, 2006: registration

SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE:

 Jiri Adamek
 John Baez
 Michael Barr
 Eugenia Cheng
 Maria Manuel Clementino
 Marcelo Fiore
 Peter Freyd
 Jonathon Funk
 Peter Johnstone
 Steve Lack
 Susan Niefield
 Phil Scott
 Ross Street
 Walter Tholen (chair)
 Enrico Vitale

ORGANIZERS:

 Robert Dawson ([email-masked])
 Dorette Pronk ([email-masked])
 Peter Selinger ([email-masked])

CONFERENCE EMAIL AND WEBSITE:

 [email-masked]
 http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/ct2006/