Subject: categories: AMAST CFP (February deadline)

From: Michael Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 04:31:24 +1100 (EST)

The 2006 edition of AMAST (Algebraic Methodology and Software Technology)
has been scheduled to follow CT'06 so that travelling category theorists
with an interest in computer science have time to proceed from Nova Scotia
to Estonia.

AMAST in the past has had some excelent category theoretic papers, and
if you're interested in submitting, the call for papers is below.

Best (and festive!) wishes, Mike.

--------------------------

                          CALL FOR PAPERS

                 11th International Conference on
      Algebraic Methodology and Software Technology, AMAST '06

                       colocated with MPC '06

                Kuressaare, Estonia,  5-8 July 2006

                http://cs.ioc.ee/mpc-amast06/amast/

Background

The major goal of the AMAST conferences is to promote research that
may lead to the setting of software technology on a firm, mathematical
basis. This goal is advanced by a large international cooperation with
contributions from both academia and industry. The virtues of a
software technology developed on a mathematical basis have been
envisioned as being capable of providing software that is (a) correct,
and the correctness can be proved mathematically, (b) safe, so that it
can be used in the implementation of critical systems, (c) portable,
i.e., independent of computing platforms and language generations, and
(d) evolutionary, i.e., it is self-adaptable and evolves with the
problem domain.

The previous conferences were held in Iowa City, Iowa, USA (1989, 1991
and 2000), Twente, The Netherlands (1993), Montreal, Canada (1995),
Munich, Germany (1996), Sydney, Australia (1997), Manaus, Amazonia,
Brazil (1998), Reunion Island, France (2002) and Stirling, UK (2004,
colocated with MPC' 04). The 2006 conference will be held at
Kuressaare, Estonia, colocated with MPC '06.

The conference series has become widely known for disseminating
academic and industrial achievements within the broad AMAST areas
of interest. Through these meetings AMAST has attracted an international
following among researchers and practitioners interested in software
technology, programming methodology and their algebraic and logical
foundations.

Important dates

    * Submission of abstracts: 27 January 2006
    * Submission of full papers: 3 February 2006
    * Notification of authors: 17 March 2006
    * Camera-ready version: 14 April 2006

Topics

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:

SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY:

    * systems software technology
    * application software technology
    * concurrent and reactive systems
    * formal methods in industrial software development
    * formal techniques for software requirements, design
    * evolutionary software/adaptive systems

PROGRAMMING METHODOLOGY:

    * logic programming, functional programming, object paradigms
    * constraint programming and concurrency
    * program verification and transformation
    * programming calculi
    * specification languages and tools
    * formal specification and development case studies

ALGEBRAIC AND LOGICAL FOUNDATIONS:

    * logic, category theory, relation algebra, computational algebra
    * algebraic foundations for languages and systems, coinduction
    * theorem proving and logical frameworks for reasoning
    * logics of programs
    * algebra and coalgebra

SYSTEMS AND TOOLS (for system demonstrations or ordinary papers):

    * software development environments
    * support for correct software development
    * system support for reuse
    * tools for prototyping
    * component based software development tools
    * validation and verification
    * computer algebra systems
    * theorem proving systems

Submission

Two kinds of submissions are solicited for this conference: technical
papers and system demonstrations.  Papers may report academic or
industrial progress, and papers which deal with both are especially
well-regarded.

Submission is in two stages. Abstracts (plain text) must be submitted
by 27 January 2006. Full papers (pdf) adhering to the llncs style and
not longer than 15 pages (6 pages for system demonstrations) must be
submitted by 3 February 2006. The web-based submission system will
open in early January 2006. Papers must report previously unpublished
work and not be submitted concurrently to another conference with
refereed proceedings. Accepted papers must be presented at the
conference by one of the authors.

All papers will be refereed by the programme committee, and will be
judged based on their significance, technical merit, and relevance
to the conference.

Publication

As in the past the proceedings of AMAST '06 will be published in the
Lecture Notes in Computer Science series of Springer-Verlag.

In the past the best papers from AMAST have been published in a
special issue of the journal Theoretical Computer Science and it
is expected that this practice will be continued for AMAST '06.

Programme Committee Chairs

Michael Johnson, Macquarie University (co-chair)
Varmo Vene, University of Tartu (co-chair)

AMAST steering committee

Egidio Astesiano, Universita degli Studi di Genova
Robert Berwick, MIT
Zohar Manna, Stanford University
Michael Mislove, Tulane University
Anton Nijholt, University of Twente
Maurice Nivat, Universite Paris 7
Charles Rattray, University of Stirling
Teodor Rus, University of Iowa
Giuseppe Scollo, Universita degli Studi di Verona
Michael Sintzoff, Universite Catholique de Louvain
Jeannette Wing, Carnegie Mellon University
Martin Wirsing, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Muenchen
Michael Johnson, Macquarie University (chair)

Venue

Kuressaare (pop. 16000) is the main town on Saaremaa, the
second-largest island of the Baltic Sea. Kuressaare is a charming
seaside resort on the shores of the Gulf of Riga highly popular with
Estonians as well as visitors to Estonia.

The scientific sessions of MPC/AMAST 2006 will take place at Saaremaa
Spa Hotel Meri, one among the several new spa hotels in the town. The
social events will involve a number of sites, including the
14th-century episcopal castle. Accommodation will be at Saaremaa Spa
Hotels Meri and Ruutli.

To get to Kuressaare and away, one must pass through Tallinn
(pop. 402000), Estonia's capital city. Tallinn is famous for its
picturesque medieval Old Town, inscribed on UNESCO's World Heritage
List.

Local organizers

MPC/AMAST 2006 is organized by Institute of Cybernetics, a research
institute of Tallinn Univ. of Technology.

The local organizers are Tarmo Uustalu (chair), Monika Perkmann, Juhan
Ernits, Ando Saabas, Olha Shkaravska, Kristi Uustalu.

Contact email addresses: mike(at)ics.mq.edu.au, varmo(at)cs.ut.ee.