Subject: categories: CfP: Applied Semantics, Special Issue of J of TCS

From: Hans-Wolfgang Loidl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:19:49 +0100

[ -- apologies for multiple copies of this CfP -- HWL ]

				   CALL FOR PAPERS

				    Special Issue on
				  APPLIED SEMANTICS
				       of the
		       Journal of Theoretical Computer Science

	       http://lionel.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/APPSEM05/journal_call.php

We  invite the  submission  of full  papers on  the  topic of  Applied Semantics,  as
described below,  for publication in  a special issue  of the Journal  of Theoretical
Computer Science (TCS).  Papers should  be revised versions of those papers submitted
to and presented at the  APPSEM05 Workshop, Frauenchiemsee, Germany, September 12-15.
However, we  will consider submissions of  papers not presented  there, provided they
fall into  the scope of  the call and  clearly work out  a novel contribution  to the
field that wasn't mature enough to be presented at the aforementioned workshop.

Programming languages  are the basic tools  with which all  applications of computers
are built.   It is important, therefore, that  they should be well  designed and well
implemented. Achieving these goals requires  both a good theoretical understanding of
programming language designs, and practical skills in the development of high quality
compilers. This special issue will cover all these areas and will focus on the formal
basis for programming languages.

The general areas covered by this special issue are as follows:

   1. Program structuring: object-oriented programming, modules,
   2. Proof assistants, functional programming, and dependent types,
   3. Program analysis, generation, and configuration,
   4. Specification and verification methods,
   5. Types and type inference in programming,
   6. Games, sequentiality, and abstract machines,
   7. Semantic methods for distributed computing,
   8. Resource models and web data,
   9. Continuous phenomena in Computer Science.
  10. Industrial applications.

This list is non-exclusive, but contributions that do not clearly fall into one of
these topics should carefully work out their relationship.

We particularly invite industrial contributions covering the areas above.  This could
mean development  of a novel language,  a novel compiler, program  analysis tools, or
indeed, just a semantic model for a new kind of application.  Again, this list is not
exclusive and we welcome  papers on any kind of industrial work  which is informed by
the science  of programming  languages, clearly states  the problem being  solved and
elaborates on the main techniques of the above research areas being used to solve it.

Programme committee:
. Gavin Bierman, Microsoft Research
. Olivier Danvy, University of Aarhus
. Peter Dybjer, Chalmers University of Technology
. Martin Hofmann, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (Chair)
. Neil Jones, University of Copenhagen
. Hans Wolfgang Loidl, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
. Peter O'Hearn, Queen Mary College, University of London
. Uday Reddy, University of Birmingham
. Didier Remy, INRIA Rocquencourt
. Ian Stark, University of Edinburgh
. Thomas Streicher, Technische Universität Darmstadt
. Peter Thiemann, Universität Freiburg

Format of submission (see links below): 
Papers should  be formatted according to  Elsevier's elsart document  style, used for
articles  in  the Journal  of  Theoretical  Computer  Science. Submission  should  be
electronically in .pdf format via the APPSEM Workshop page.  Papers should have 20-25
pages, including appendices. Papers exceeding the upper bound may be rejected without
refereeing.

Important dates:
. Paper submission:   8.1.2006
. Notification:	     27.2.2006
. Camera-ready copy: 27.3.2006

Links:
. APPSEM05 page and paper submissions: http://lionel.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/APPSEM05/
. TCS page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505625/description
. Document style (elsart.cls): http://authors.elsevier.com/latex