

<[email-masked]> Envelope-to: [email-masked]
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 07:47:32 -0300 Received: from
Majordom by mailserv.mta.ca with local (Exim 4.10)
    id 1BgLYe-0005gZ-00
    for [email-masked]; Fri, 02 Jul 2004 07:46:16 -0300
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 06:36:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Barr <[email-masked]>
X-X-Sender: [email-masked]
To:  <[email-masked]>
Subject: categories: Re: Grothendieck bio?
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk
Status: RO
X-Status:
X-Keywords:
X-UID: 1

I do not think that anyone has written a biography of AG, but he has
written an autobiography, called Recoltes et semailles (Reapings and
Sowings--the order is intentionally backwards).  It is not publicly
available (not published) but someone has, I understand, done a Russian
translation that is.  There is also a (very) partial English translation
that is an ongoing project that requires money to proceed.  Thus if you
want to read it, you have to send cash to the translator, Roy Lisker.  See
his web page, http://www.fermentmagazine.org/, for more details.  I cannot
vouch for the quality of the translation, but I disagree with him on how
to translate the title. I think he called it Harvests and Sowings, which
clanks on my ear.  He says his French is better than mine, which I won't
argue, but my wife agrees with me and she is a professional French to
English translator.  Besides we are not arguing over the meaning, but the
best sounding English.  Be that as it may, it is the best you can do
unless you can read it in Russian (which I assume from your name you can).
Sorry, I don't know a source for that.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Galchin Vasili wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    Does anybody know of a Grothendieck biography? For
> me many times it is helpful to read a bio to the
> historical development of a person's work.
>
> Thanks in advance, Bill Halchin
>
>