Subject: categories: Grothendieck bio?

From: Galchin Vasili <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:43:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

   Does anybody know of a Grothendieck biography? For
me many times it is helpful to read a bio to the
historical development of a person's work.

Thanks in advance, Bill Halchin

---

From: Robert Seely <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:58:33 -0400 (EDT)

Don't know of any "standard biography", though you could check out some
links on-line (the Triples home page lists the following:

http://www.fermentmagazine.org/rands/recoltes1.html
http://www.grothendieck-circle.org/
http://modular.fas.harvard.edu/sga/
http://www.math.jussieu.fr/~maltsin/groth/Derivateurs.html

(though the last two are reprints of papers etc)).  In addition, a French
publication "Bourbaki" (pub by Pour La Science - the French edition of
Scientific American) mentions him as part of that group - and has a rather
nice photo of him and his child.

Good luck!

-= rags =-

--
<[email-masked]>
<www.math.mcgill.ca/rags>