Subject: categories: Call for Participation: Workshop on Quantum Programming Languages

From: Peter Selinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 12:21:57 -0400 (EDT)

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

     2nd International Workshop on Quantum Programming Languages
                  (QPL2004)

           July 12-13, 2004, Turku, Finland
              Affiliated with LICS 2004

     http://quasar.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~selinger/qpl2004/

                * * *

  Registration for this workshop is now available, please see below
  for registration information and a list of talks.

OVERVIEW:

  The goal of this workshop is to bring together researchers working
  on mathematical formalisms and programming languages for quantum
  computing. In the last few years, there has been a growing interest
  in logical tools, languages, and semantical methods for analyzing
  quantum computation. These foundational approaches complement the
  more mainstream research in quantum computation which emphasizes
  algorithms and complexity theory.

  Possible topics include the syntax and semantics of quantum
  programming languages, new paradigms for quantum programming,
  specification of quantum algorithms, higher-order quantum
  computation, quantum data types, reversible computation, axiomatic
  approaches to quantum computation, concurrent and distributed
  quantum computation, compilation of quantum programs, semantical
  methods in quantum information theory, and categorical models for
  quantum computation.

  The first workshop in this series was held June 15-16, 2003, in
  Ottawa, Canada.

REGISTRATION:

  Registration and local arrangements will be handled through the
  LICS 2004 main conference (http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/als/lics/lics04/).
  There will be a small fee for attending the workshop, which will
  cover lunch, coffee, and the informal proceedings.

INVITED SPEAKER:

  * Richard Jozsa (Bristol): "On the structure of quantum algorithms
    and the role of classical mathematics"

CONTRIBUTED TALKS:

  * Samson Abramsky, Ross Duncan: "A categorical quantum logic"

  * Pablo Arrighi, Gilles Dowek: "Operational semantics for formal
    tensorial calculus"

  * Alexandru Baltag, Sonja Smets: "A dynamic logic for quantum
    programming"

  * Bob Coecke: "Quantum, concretely, abstractly"

  * Ellie D'Hondt, Prakash Panangaden: "Quantum weakest preconditions"

  * Simon Gay, Rajagopal Nagarajan: "Communicating quantum processes"

  * Philippe Jorrand, Marie Lalire: "A process algebraic approach to
    concurrent and distributed quantum computation: operational
    semantics"

  * Peter Selinger: "Towards a semantics for higher-order quantum
    computation"

  * K. M. Svore, A. W. Cross, A. V. Aho, I. L. Chuang, S. A. Edwards,
    I. L. Markov: "Toward a software architecture for quantum computing
    design tools"

  * Benoit Valiron: "Quantum typing"

  * Paolo Zuliani: "Non-deterministic quantum programming"

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:

  Samson Abramsky (Oxford)
  Prakash Panangaden (McGill)
  Peter Selinger (Ottawa)

CONTACT INFORMATION:

  Organizer: Peter Selinger
  Department of Mathematics and Statistics
  University of Ottawa, Canada
  Email: [email-masked]

CONFERENCE WEBSITE:

  http://quasar.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~selinger/qpl2004/

(revised May 29, 2004)