Subject: categories: jobs: 4 LECTURERS IN COMPUTER SCIENCE

From: Susan Bates <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 16:41:41 +0100

UNIVERSITY OF DURHAM

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

4 Lecturer Posts

Up to 4 appointments will be made at the level of Lecturer.  It is
expected that applicants will range from young researchers who have just
completed their PhDs through to established academics with
internationally-leading research profiles.  Common to all appointments
will be a high quality research portfolio or demonstrable potential of
such.  All positions are tenable from 1st September 2004 or from a
mutually acceptable date thereafter.

Further particulars can be obtained from the University's jobs pages at:

https://jobs.dur.ac.uk/home.asp

The Department of Computer Science has recently appointed 8 new members
of academic staff, 7 of whom are due to arrive in Durham in summer 2004
and 1 at a later date (see http://www.durham.ac.uk/computer.science for
more details).  This second phase of our recruitment will take the
number of full-time permanent academic staff up to 20, with the
intention being to increase this number to 25 by 2006.

The appointments will be split across the 2 research groups, which are
Theoretical Computer Science, and Software Engineering and Distributed
Systems. 2 Lectureships will support the new Professor of Computer
Science, Professor Hajo Broersma, and 2 Lectureships will support the
Software Engineering and Distributed Systems research group.

As regards the 2 Lectureships in Theoretical Computer Science,
applications are welcomed from candidates with research interests
ranging across the subject, but applications are particularly encouraged
from candidates with research interests in: algorithmic graph theory;
computational complexity; graph theory and combinatorics; communications
networks; and probabilistic and randomised algorithms.

As regards the 2 Lectureships in Software Engineering and Distributed
Computing, applications are welcomed from candidates whose research
interests lie within the broad area covered by these subjects. However,
applicants with research interests in visualisation and distributed
architectures as they relate to e-Science or in inter-disciplinary
applications are particular welcome.

Applicants unsure as to whether their research expertise falls under
that described above are encouraged to informally contact Professor Iain
Stewart who can provide advice and guidance.

As mentioned earlier, the first phase of our reorganisation commenced
with the advertisement of positions in October 2003.  Given that about 7
months have elapsed since then and previous applicants personal details
may have changed considerably in that time, previous applicants for the
positions advertised in October 2003 are encouraged to re-apply if they
feel that their situation merits it.  Again, any previous applicants who
are undecided should contact Professor Iain Stewart for advice and guidance.

Further details on the University of Durham can be found via the
web-pages at http://www.durham.ac.uk, and on the Department of Computer
Science via the web-pages at http://www.durham.ac.uk/computer.science.

Informal enquiries about any of the positions may be made to Professor
Iain Stewart: telephone +44 (0)191 3341720; e-mail
[email-masked].