Subject: categories: CFP: Logic, Games and Philosophy: Foundational Perspectives

From: Peter McBurney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:14:13 +0100

* With apologies for multiple posting **

CALL FOR PAPERS

Logic, Games and Philosophy: Foundational Perspectives

Prague International Colloquium

www.flu.cas.cz/Logica/Aconf/col2004.html

Organised by
Department of Logic, Institute of Philosophy, Academy of Sciences of the
Czech Republic, and

Department of Philosophy, University of Helsinki

28 September â€“ 1 October 2004, Prague, Czech Republic

SYNOPSIS

Games, like logics, are tools for investigating the world, language, and
their relationship. Semantic, dialogic, evolutionary, interrogative,
argumentative, and pragmatic methods have been included into the toolkit.
Following the recent increase in investment on games and game-theoretic
methods in logic, language, computation and communication, we still need a
better understanding of the possibilities of forming converging
methodologies underlying these diverse contemporary currents. The purpose of
the Prague Conference on Logic, Games and Philosophy: Foundational
Perspectives is to explore the interfaces between logic and games with the
eye on philosophical, methodological and foundational issues.

Preference is given to papers that make a definite contribution to
philosophical, methodological and foundational issues underlying
game-theoretic approaches to logical, computational or linguistic research,
including relevant historical and philosophical issues on the Theory of
Games itself.

Relevant topics include, but are not limited to:

* Wittgenstein, C. S. Peirce
* Language Games
* Game-Theoretic Semantics
* Dialogue Games
* Interrogative Games/Philosophy of Science
* Evolutionary Games
* Diachronicity/Semantic-Pragmatic Change
* Game-Theoretic Methods in Logic, Language, Computation, Communication

Among the invited speakers of the colloquium are Mathieu Marion (QuÃ©bec Ã
MontrÃ©al), Shahid Rahman (Lille 3), Gabriel Sandu (Helsinki), Wim Veldman
(Nijmegen).

Potential contributors are asked to submit a two page (including references)
abstract; the deadline is 15 June 2004. Abstracts are to be submitted by
e-mail (preferably as PDF, PS or MS Word files) prepared for anonymous
reviewing. (To prevent problems caused by e-mail failures, the receipt of
every abstract will be confirmed within one week.) Notification of
acceptance will be distributed by 15 July 2004. Contributed papers are
scheduled for approx. 40 minutes (including discussion).

Please direct your abstracts to: [email-masked]

The proceedings of the Prague International Colloquium will be offered to
Kluwer Academic Publishers for inclusion in their series Logic, Epistemology
and the Unity of Science (the papers will be reviewed).

If you need more information, please contact us at:
[email-masked]

The conference website is
http://www.flu.cas.cz/Logica/Aconf/col2004.html

Program Committee:

Gabriel Sandu (Chair, Helsinki)
Johan van Benthem (Amsterdam, Stanford)
Mathieu Marion (QuÃ©bec Ã  MontrÃ©al)     	
Jaroslav Peregrin (Prague)	
Ahti-Veikko Pietarinen (Helsinki)
Shahid Rahman (Lille 3)
Tero Tulenheimo (Helsinki)
Wim Veldman (Nijmegen)

Organising Committee:

Ondrej Majer (Prague)
Ahti-Veikko Pietarinen (Helsinki)
Tero Tulenheimo (Helsinki)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------