Subject: categories: 2nd CFP: Category Theory and Computer Science (CTCS'04), Graduate Student Summer School and CMCIM Workshop

From: Thomas Hildebrandt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:47:25 +0100

10th CONFERENCE ON
               CATEGORY THEORY AND COMPUTER SCIENCE (CTCS'04)
                            AUGUST 12-14, 2004

                                   AND

                    FIRST GRADUATE STUDENT SUMMER SCHOOL
                             AUGUST 9-11, 2004

                                   AND

        (new!) 3rd WORKSHOP ON CATEGORICAL METHODS FOR CONCURRENCY,
                    INTERACTION AND MOBILITY (CMCIM 2004)
                              AUGUST 11, 2004

                    IT University of Copenhagen (ITU)
                           Copenhagen, Denmark

                          SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

                                  and

                          CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT DATES

    April 9th, 2004: CTCS Submission deadline
    June 1st, 2004:  CTCS Notification of authors of accepted papers
    July 1st, 2004:  CTCS Registration deadline, and Revised papers due

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

CTCS'04 is the 10th Conference on Category Theory and Computer
Science. The purpose of the conference series is the advancement of
the foundations of computing using the tools of category theory.  The
emphasis is upon applications of category theory, but it is recognized
that the area is highly interdisciplinary.

Typical topics of interest include, but are not limited to,
category-theoretic aspects of the following:

coalgebras and computing
concurrent and distributed systems
constructive mathematics
declarative programming and term rewriting
domain theory and topology
foundations of computer security
linear logic
modal and temporal logics
models of computation
program logics, data refinement, and specification
programming language semantics
type theory

Previous meetings have been held in Guildford (Surrey), Edinburgh (twice),
Manchester, Paris, Amsterdam, Cambridge, S. Margherita Ligure (Genova), and
Ottawa.

The proceedings of the conference will be published as a special issue
of ENTCS (Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science).

Invited Speakers:
    Francois Bergeron
    Martin Hyland
    Robin Milner
    Andrew Pitts
    Thomas Streicher

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE:

Lars Birkedal, Chair (IT University of Copenhagen)
Marcelo Fiore (University of Cambridge)
Masahito Hasegawa (Kyoto University)
Bart Jacobs (University of Nijmegen)
Ugo Montanari (University of Pisa)
Valeria de Paiva (Palo Alto Research Center)
Dusko Pavlovic (Kestrel Institute)
John Power (University of Edinburgh)
Edmund Robinson (Queen Mary, University of London)
Peter Selinger (University of Ottawa)

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

E. Moggi, Chair, (Genova)
S. Abramsky (Oxford)
P. Dybjer (Chalmers)
B. Jay (Sydney)
A. Pitts (Cambridge)

LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

C. Butz
T. Hildebrandt
A.L. Moerk

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS

Papers should be submitted, preferably in electronic form, to
[email-masked]. Papers are limited to 15 pages, and must
be submitted in dvi, postscript, or pdf format, possibly gzipped
and/or uuencoded, or sent as a standard email attachment. All
submissions must be received by April 9th, 2004. If you cannot submit
your paper electronically, please contact the program chair at
[email-masked].

SUMMER SCHOOL

Inspired by the success of the graduate student preconference of CTCS'02 in
Ottawa, the CTCS of this year will have a similar event: A summer school
from August 9-11. The goal is to prepare students - both graduate and
undergraduate, with basic knowledge of category theory - for CTCS, through
mini-courses in the basic areas underlying some of the fields of the
conference. The school will offer the following  mini-courses (5 lectures):

      * Stone Duality, Coalgebras, and Modal Logic (Lecturer: Alexander
Kurz)
      * Game Semantics (Lecturer: Guy McCusker)
      * Operational Semantics (Lecturer: Pawel Sobocinski)
      * Categorical Models for Concurrency (Lecturer: Thomas Hildebrandt)

CMCIM WORKSHOP (new)

In between the summer school and the CTCS conference, August 11th,
there will be a half-day workshop on Categorical Methods in
Concurrency, Interaction and Mobility. The workshop has previously
been held in connection with CONCUR 2002 and CONCUR 2003.

We invite submissions of extended abstracts (less than 5 pages),
presenting recent results, challenges or work in progress. There will
be no formal proceedings of the workshop, informal proceedings will be
distributed at the workshop. Thus, accepted material may be published
elsewhere at a later date.

Workshop participation is free, but requires registration before 1st
of July, by sending an email to [email-masked], containing
`CMCIM2004-registration' in the subject, and your full name and
affiliation in the body.

Submissions should be sent before 21th of June, as PostScript files
to: [email-masked], containing `CMCIM-submission' in the subject, and in
the body the full names of the author(s), title, and a text-only
abstract.

Workshop Organizers:

    Thomas Hildebrandt
    Alexander Kurz

STUDENT GRANTS (new)

A limited number of grants is available for funding the stay of
international
students at a nearby youth hostel during the summer school and conference.

CONFERENCE, SUMMER SCHOOL and WORKSHOP HOMEPAGE

Updated information is available from
http://www.itu.dk/research/theory/ctcs2004/
(Information about student grants and suggested accommodation will
appear soon....)

SPONSORSHIP

The conference and summer school are APPSEM-II events,
sponsored by the FIRST graduate school (www.first.dk) and the Theory
Department at the IT University of Copenhagen
(www.itu.dk/English/research/theory/