Subject: categories: AMAST 2004: EXTENDED DEADLINE

From: Carron Shankland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:58:25 +0000

Dear all,

You still have time to write your AMAST paper.  We have extended the
deadline to 26th January.  The full call is attached; please distribute to
colleagues.

Thanks,
Carron Shankland
(on behalf of the AMAST organising committee)

---------------------------------------------
CALL FOR PAPERS
AMAST 2004: 10th International Conference on
Algebraic Methodology And Software Technology
http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/events/amast2004/
****** Paper Submissions: 26th January 2004 ******
---------------------------------------------

AMAST 2004
July 12th - 16th, 2004
Stirling, Scotland, UK.

SPEAKERS
--------
* Roland Backhouse (Nottingham)
* Don Batory (Texas)
* Michel Bidoit (CNRS)
* Muffy Calder (Glasgow)
* Bart Jacobs (Nijmegen)
* JJ Meyer (Utrecht)

The major goal of the AMAST Conferences is to promote research that may
lead to the setting of software technology on a firm, mathematical
basis. This goal is achieved by a large international cooperation with
contributions from both academia and industry. The virtues of a software
technology developed on a mathematical basis have been envisioned as
being capable of providing software that is (a) correct, and the
correctness can be proved mathematically, (b) safe, so that it can be
used in the implementation of critical systems, (c) portable, i.e.,
independent of computing platforms and language generations, and (d)
evolutionary, i.e., it is self-adaptable and evolves with the problem
domain.

CO-LOCATED EVENTS
-----------------
AMAST will be co-located with MPC (Mathematics of Program Construction) and
ARTS (AMAST Real Time workshop).

TOPICS
------
As in previous years, we will invite papers reporting original research
on setting software technology on a firm mathematical basis. We expect
two kinds of submissions for this conference: technical papers and
system demonstrations. Of particular interest is research on using
algebraic, logic, and other formalisms suitable as foundations for
software technology, as well as software technologies developed by means
of logic and algebraic methodologies. Topics of interest include, but
are not limited to, the following:

SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY:

    * systems software technology
    * application software technology
    * concurrent and reactive systems
    * formal methods in industrial software development
    * formal techniques for software requirements, design
    * evolutionary software/adaptive systems

PROGRAMMING METHODOLOGY:

    * logic programming, functional programming, object paradigms
    * constraint programming and concurrency
    * program verification and transformation
    * programming calculi
    * specification languages and tools
    * formal specification and development case studies

ALGEBRAIC AND LOGICAL FOUNDATIONS:

    * logic, category theory, relation algebra, computational algebra
    * algebraic foundations for languages and systems, coinduction
    * theorem proving and logical frameworks for reasoning
    * logics of programs

SYSTEMS AND TOOLS (for system demonstrations or ordinary papers):

    * software development environments
    * support for correct software development
    * system support for reuse
    * tools for prototyping
    * component based software development tools
    * validation and verification
    * computer algebra systems
    * theorem proving systems

PUBLICATION
-----------
As in the past, the proceedings of AMAST 2004 will be published by
Springer in the Lecture Notes in Computer Science series.

We invite prospective authors to submit electronically previously
unpublished papers of high quality. Submissions should not have been
published and should not be under consideration for publication
elsewhere.  Papers must be no longer than 15 pages (6 pages for
system demonstrations) and should be prepared using LaTeX and the
LNCS style that can be downloaded from
http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html.

Please send a fully self-contained PostScript file to
[email-masked]. If for any reason it is impossible to submit
a paper electronically, authors should send six copies of their
submission to the program chair at the address below. All papers
will be refereed by the programme committee, and will be judged based
on their significance, technical merit, and relevance to the
conference. Papers should be received by January 19, 2004.

Address for non-electronic submissions:
Charles Rattray
AMAST'2004 Program Chair
Department of Computing Science and Mathematics
University of Stirling
Stirling
FK9 4LA
UK

PRIZES
------
There will be a prize for the best paper overall, and for the best
student paper.  These prizes are sponsored by BCS-FACS (the British
Computing Society special interest group Formal Aspects of Computing
Science).  Each prize winner will receive a year's membership of
BCS-FACS and a year's subscription to the Formal Aspects of
Computing journal.

IMPORTANT DATES
---------------
* Paper submissions: January 26, 2004.
* Notification of paper acceptance: March 1, 2004
* Camera ready papers due: April 5, 2004
* AMAST'2004 Conference: July 12-16, 2004

LOCATION
--------
The conference will be held at the University of Stirling
http://www.stir.ac.uk/

CONTACT
-------
For further information, send email to [email-masked]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Carron Shankland         Email: [email-masked]
Computing Science & Mathematics     Tel: 01786-467444
University of Stirling          http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~ces
Stirling FK9 4LA
---------------------------------------------------------------------

--
The University of Stirling is a university established in Scotland by
charter at Stirling, FK9 4LA.  Privileged/Confidential Information may
be contained in this message.  If you are not the addressee indicated
in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such
person), you may not disclose, copy or deliver this message to anyone
and any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful.  In such case, you should destroy this
message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.  Please advise
immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet email
for messages of this kind.