Subject: categories: Re: Sad news

From: Ross Street <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 08:28:10 +1000

Dear Jim

Yes, I would like you to convey my sympathy to Muriel and the rest of 
Bob Gordon's family at the memorial service.  I did not know Bob had 
a serious illness so this comes as a very sad surprise.

My relationship with Bob was a very happy and enjoyable one. John 
Power introduced me to him and we started what turned out to be a 
huge project which would never have reached completion without Bob's 
original contribution, attention to detail, and organization of the 
typing.  It was his idea to submit it to Memoirs.  I am proud to have 
my name on that paper.

My family and I often recall the fantastic hospitality of the Gordon 
family when we visited Pennsylvania. We stayed in their house, were 
guests of honour at a great party, and our children liked each other.

Another happy time was the MSRI conference in San Francisco.  Bob and 
I stayed in his ex-brother-in-law's beautiful apartment overlooking 
Fisherman's Wharf and the Bay.  Bob rented a car and drove a group of 
us around the Napa Valley and surrounds.

Bob was always very generous and too often down played his own 
ability.  We were happy when Bob came to Australia.  He seemed to 
like Sydney.  Brian Day enjoyed talking with Bob on all kinds of 
topics (not just mathematics).  Brian also sends his condolences.

I know that Bob had many health problems to suffer during his life 
and I was amazed how he rose above them to concentrate on 
mathematics.  I know also that he had not made contact for quite some 
time but I expected to hear eventually what mathematics he had been 
thinking about.  But that is not to be.

Ross