Subject: categories: CFP ESSLLI02 (Trento, Italy)

From: Claire Gardent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:40:22 +0200 (MET DST)

[An HTML version of the Call for Proposals is available via the
 FoLLI  page  <http://www.folli.uva.nl/Esslli/2002/cfp.txt>.
 Usual apologies apply if you receive multiple copies of this message.]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

  Fourteenth European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information
                              ESSLLI-2002
                   August 4-17, 2002, Trento, Italy

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

                 CALL FOR COURSE and WORKSHOP PROPOSALS
                 --------------------------------------

The main focus of the European Summer Schools in Logic, Language and
Information is on the interface between linguistics, logic and
computation. Foundational, introductory and advanced courses together
with workshops cover a wide variety of topics within the three areas
of interest: Language and Computation, Language and Logic, and Logic
and Computation.

Previous summer schools have been highly successful, attracting up to
500 students from Europe and elsewhere. The school has developed into
an important meeting place and forum for discussion for students and
researchers interested in the interdisciplinary study of Logic,
Language and Information. ESSLLI-2002 is organised under the auspices
of the European Association for Logic, Language and Information
(FoLLI).

The ESSLLI-2002 Programme Committee invites proposals for foundational,
introductory, and advanced courses, and for workshops for the 14th annual
Summer School on a wide range of topics in the following fields:

    LANGUAGE & COMPUTATION    LANGUAGE & LOGIC    LOGIC & COMPUTATION

In addition to courses and workshops there will be a Student Session.  A Call
for Papers for the Student Session will be distributed separately.

PROPOSAL SUBMISSION: Proposals should be submitted through a web form located
at  <http://www.folli.uva.nl/Esslli/2002/submission.html>

All proposals should be submitted no later than July 22, 2001.
Authors of proposals will be notified of the committee's decision no
later than September 17, 2001. Proposers should follow the guidelines
below while preparing their submissions; proposals that deviate can
not be considered.

GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION: Anyone interested in lecturing or organising a
workshop during ESSLLI-2002, please read the following information carefully.

ALL COURSES: Courses are taught by 1 or max. 2 lecturers. They typically
consist of five sessions (a one-week course) or ten sessions (a two-week
course). Each session lasts 90 minutes.

Timetable for Course Proposal Submission:

   Jul 22, 2001: Proposal Submission Deadline
   Sep 17, 2001: Notification
   Nov 15, 2001: Deadline for receipt of title, abstract, lecturer(s)
                 information, course description and prerequisites
   Jun  1, 2002: Deadline for receipt of camera-ready course material

FOUNDATIONAL COURSES: These are really elementary courses not assuming any
background knowledge. They are intended for people to get acquainted with the
problems and techniques of areas new to them. Ideally, they should allow
researchers from other fields to acquire the key competences of neighbouring
disciplines, thus encouraging the development of a truly interdisciplinary
research community. Foundational courses may presuppose some experience with
scientific methods in general, so as to be able to concentrate on the issues
that are germane to the area of the course.

INTRODUCTORY COURSES: Introductory courses are central to the
activities of the Summer School. They are intended to equip students
and young researchers with a good understanding of a field's basic
methods and techniques.  Introductory courses in, for instance,
Language and Computation, can build on some knowledge of the component
fields; e.g., an introductory course in computational linguistics
should address an audience which is familiar with the basics of
linguistics and computation.

Proposals for introductory courses should indicate the level of
the course as compared to standard texts in the area.

ADVANCED COURSES: Advanced courses should be pitched at an audience of
advanced Masters or PhD students. Proposals for advanced courses
should specify the prerequisites in some detail.

WORKSHOPS: The aim of the workshops is to provide a forum for advanced
Ph.D. students and other researchers to present and discuss their
work. A workshop has a theme. At most one organiser is paid. The
organisers should be specialists in the theme of the workshop and give
a general introduction in the first session. They are also
responsible for the programme of the workshop, i.e., for finding
speakers.

Each workshop organiser will be responsible for producing a Call for
Papers for the workshop by November 15, 2001. The call must make it
clear that the workshop is open to all members of the LLI community.
It should also note that all workshop contributors must register for
the Summer School.

A workshop consists of five sessions (a one-week workshop) or ten
sessions (a two-week workshop).  Sessions are normally 90 minutes.

Timetable for Workshop Proposal Submissions

   Jul 22, 2001: Proposal Submission Deadline
   Sep 15, 2001: Notification
   Nov 15, 2001: Deadline for receipt of Call for Papers
   Dec  1, 2001: Send out Call for Papers
   Mar 15, 2002: Deadline for Papers (suggested)
   May  1, 2002: Notification of Workshop Contributors (suggested)
   May 15, 2002: Deadline for Provisional Workshop Programme
   Jun  1, 2002: Deadline for receipt of camera-ready copy of Workshop
                 notes
   Jun  1, 2002: Deadline for Final Workshop Programme

FORMAT FOR PROPOSALS: 
The web-based form for submitting course and workshop proposals is accessible
at <http://www.folli.uva.nl/Esslli/2002/submission.html>. You will be required
to submit the following information:

   * Name (name(s) of proposed lecturer(s)/organiser)

   * Address (contact addresses of proposed lecturer(s)/organiser;
     where possible, please include phone and fax numbers)

   * Title (title of proposed course/workshop)

   * Type (is this a workshop, a foundational course, an introductory
     course, or an advanced course?)

   * Section (does your proposal fit in Language & Computation,
     Language & Logic or Logic & Computation? name only one)

   * Description (describe the proposed contents in at most 150 words)

   * External funding (will you be able to find external funding to
     help fund your travel and accommodation expenses? if so, how?)

   * Further particulars (any further information that is required by
     the above guidelines should be included here)

FINANCIAL ASPECTS: Prospective lecturers and workshop organisers
should be aware that all teaching and organising at the summer schools
is done on a voluntary basis in order to keep the participants fees as
low as possible. Lecturers and organisers are not paid for their
contribution, but are reimbursed for travel and accommodation.  Please
note the following: In case a course is to be taught by two lecturers,
a lump sum is paid to cover travel and accommodation expenses.  The
splitting of the sum is up to the lecturers. However, please note
that the organisers highly appreciate it if, whenever possible,
lecturers and workshop organisers find alternative funding to cover
travel and accommodation expenses.

Workshop speakers are required to register for the Summer School;
however, workshop speakers will be able to register at a reduced rate
to be determined by the Organising Committee.

Finally, it should be stressed that while proposals from all over the
world are welcomed, the Summer School can in general guarantee only to
reimburse travel costs for travel from destinations within Europe to
Trento.  Exceptions will be made depending on the financial situation.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:

    Claire Gardent (chair)
    Attn: ESSLLI-2002
    LORIA
    BP 239 Campus Scientifique
    54506 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy (France)
    Tel: +33-3-83-59-2039
    Fax: +33-3-83-27-5652
    Email: [email-masked]

    Local co-chair:
      Paolo Bouquet ([email-masked])

    Language & Computation:
      Hinrich Schuetze ([email-masked])
      Gerry Altmann ([email-masked])

    Language & Logic:
      Fabio Pianesi ([email-masked])
      Steve Pulman ([email-masked])

    Logic & Computation:
      Simon Parsons ([email-masked] )
      Frank Wolter ([email-masked])

ORGANISING COMMITTEE:
    Luciano Serafini (chair)
    Email: [email-masked]

FURTHER INFORMATION: To obtain further information, visit the web site
for ESSLLI-2002 <http://www.folli.uva.nl/Esslli/2002/esslli-2002.html>.
For this year's summer school, please see the web site for ESSLLI-2001
<http://www.helsinki.fi/esslli>.