Subject: categories: jobs: Postdoc Positions in Amsterdam

From: [email-masked] (Maarten de Rijke)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:23:40 +0200 (MET DST)

[Apologies for multiple copies]

Two Postdoc Positions in the Computational and Applied Logic Group
------------------------------------------------------------------

Institute for Logic, Language and Computation
Universiteit van Amsterdam

The Computational and Applied Logic Group at the University of Amsterdam is
searching for highly motivated candidates with a PhD in computer science,
computational linguistics, or a related discipline, for two postdoc
positions, one in each of the following research areas:

 o computational logic (with an emphasis on implementation and evaluation
   of automated reasoning systems)

 o natural language processing (with an emphasis on logic-based approaches
   to information retrieval tasks such as question-answering, navigation, 
   and summarization)

Applicants should have a demonstrated capacity or potential to conduct
research in computational logic and/or natural language processing. 
Desirable criteria for both positions are: relevant industrial experience;
a record of project-based work; ability to supervise and inspire PhD
students.

These positions are funded by the Netherlands Organization for Scientific
Research and the University of Amsterdam, as part of the `Pionier' project
`Computing with Meaning.'  This is an interdisciplinary project aimed at
identifying and using meaningful information in natural language texts. 
The project will experiment with computational logic architectures that can
handle linguistic information structures at various levels of detail; this
involves new systems of flexible logics and algorithms, suitably combined. 
The project has a generous equipment and travel budget.  Please consult
http://www.science.uva.nl/~mdr/Projects/ComputingwithMeaning/ for more
information about the project.

Both positions are renewable for up to four years.  While both positions
are research positions, candidates are expected to play an active role in
supervising PhD students.  In addition, candidates may be asked to assist
with courses related to their research areas.  The salary will be between
5416 Guilders and 7128 Guilders, gross per month.  Knowledge of Dutch is
not a prerequisite, and candidates can be of any nationality.  The starting
date should be between September 1, 2001 and January 1, 2002.

Anyone interested in these positions is invited to contact Maarten de Rijke
at [email-masked].  Applicants should submit a full resume including a
list of publications, a statement of research interests, and the names and
email addresses of at least three references to the same address by July
15, 2001.

Research interests within the Computational and Applied Logic group range
from automated reasoning, constraint programming, satisfability checking,
and formal verification to digital libraries, information retrieval,
computational semantics, and knowledge engineering.  The group is strongly
internationally oriented, and currently consists of 15 people; it is
expected to grow substantially over the next year.  Further details on the
group can be found at http://www.science.uva.nl/~mdr/CALG/.

--
-- 
Maarten de Rijke  |  Computational and Applied Logic Group  |  ILLC
U of Amsterdam | Plantage Muidergracht 24 | 1018 TV Amsterdam  | NL
Phone: +31 20 525 6511 / +31 6 28 194 881   |  Fax: +31 20 525 5101
E-mail: [email-masked]  |  URL: http://www.science.uva.nl/~mdr/