Subject: categories: Chair of Mathematics

From: Ross Street <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 18:28:55 +1000

Dear Category Theorists

A Chair of Mathematics at Macquarie University was advertised today 
(Saturday) in the Sydney Morning Herald.  I notice that it has not 
yet appeared on the appropriate Macquarie website:

http://www.pers.mq.edu.au/ads/index.html

But it should be there soon!  The reference number for the job is 19139.
The appointee "will be supported by a substantial start-up grant and 
a new lectureship in the Department."

I would be very happy to hear from anyone genuinely interested, or of 
good suggestions for possible candidates.

I would also like to point out that good opportunities now exist for 
postgraduate study in category theory at Macquarie.  Australian 
students can be funded by Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA) as 
usual.  However, new opportunities exist for international students 
to have their fees waived and obtain a living allowance comparable to 
the APA.  Of course, these Scholarships are awarded competitively.
See
http://www.mq.edu.au/postgrad/awards.htm

Our category group (CoACT) is eligible for RAACE awards:
http://www.mq.edu.au/postgrad/schl/RAACE.htm

I also believe there will be things called iMURS advertised soon 
which include the waiving of fees.
http://www.mq.edu.au/international/graduate/

I would be happy to hear from, or of, prospective postgraduate 
students interested in working towards a PhD in category theory at 
Macquarie.

Yours truly,
Ross