Subject: categories: Re: Limits

From: "Paul H Palmquist" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:46:00 -0700

Peter Freyd wrote:

> A good question. I have no answer, only a similar (and ancient)
> question: is there a setting in which adjoint operators on Hilbert
> spaces can be seen to be examples of adjoint functors between
> categories?

I once answered a similar question.
In 1974 or 1975, I published a paper "Adjoint functors induced by adjoint
linear transformations"  in the Proceedings of the AMS.
The idea is that a pair of adjoint linear transformations between two
linear topological vectorspaces, e.g., a special case is Hilbert spaces,
naturally map to an adjoint pair of functors between the categories which
are the lattices of closed subspaces, i.e., a galois connection.

Cheers,
Paul H. Palmquist

Paul Palmquist <[email-masked]>@compuserve.com> on
05/16/2001 08:35:30 AM

To:   Paul Palmquist <[email-masked]>
cc:

Subject:  categories: Re: Limits

-------------Forwarded Message-----------------

From:     Dusko Pavlovic, INTERNET:[email-masked]
To:  [unknown], INTERNET:[email-masked]

Date:     5/10/01  4:29 AM

RE:  categories: Re: Limits

Peter Freyd wrote:

> A good question. I have no answer, only a similar (and ancient)
> question: is there a setting in which adjoint operators on Hilbert
> spaces can be seen to be examples of adjoint functors between
> categories?

probably not, but the they seem to be instances of the same general
structure. (it is simple, pretty old, and i am sure many have noticed it,
but since no one mentioned it, here it goes.)

let U :   Cat     ---> CAT be the embedding of small categories in all,
and
let Y: Cat^op ---> CAT map each small category A to the presheaves
Psh(A).

now look at the (pseudo)comma category U/Y. each category A is
represented in it by the yoneda embedding A-->Psh(A). the morphisms
between A-->Psh(A) and B --> Psh(B) are exactly the pairs of adjoint
functors between A and B.

on the other hand, let I: Vec---> Vec be the identity functor,
and let * : Vec^op ---> Vec take a vector space V to its dual V*.

look at the comma category I/*. each hilbert space V is represented in it
by the obvious linear map  V-->V*. the morphisms between V-->V* and
W-->W* are exactly the adjoint pairs of operators between V and W.

playing around a bit, these two comma categories can be thought of as
Chu(CAT,Set) and Chu(Vec,R) respectively. so both sorts of adjunctions
are the instances of the chu morphisms. they are the chu morphisms on the
"representation" objects, in the form X --> R^X, where R is the dualizing
object.

-- dusko

PS infact, one could start from Chu(SET,Set), and define categories as
the profunctors A-->Set^A which form a monoid with respect to the
profunctor composition. you'd get only the object part of the adjoint
functors as the morphisms of this chu, but the arrow part follows from
the adjunction (i think).

now can we characterize hilbert spaces in a similar way within
Chu(Vec,R)? this seems to be a completely different kind of question. in
particular, it is possible to define "profunctors" with respect to R or
C, like we did with respect to Set, and we can compose them, but hilbert
spaces do not seem to be monoids with respect to this composition, at
least the way it occurs to me. if there is no such composition that they
are, then hilbert spaces are like R-enriched graphs, rather than
categories.

----------------------- Internet Header --------------------------------
Sender: [email-masked]
Received: from mailserv.mta.ca (mailserv.mta.ca [138.73.101.5])
     by sphmgaae.compuserve.com (8.9.3/8.9.3/SUN-1.9) with ESMTP id
HAA02263
     for <[email-masked]>; Thu, 10 May 2001 07:29:48 -0400 (EDT)
Received: (from Majordom@localhost)
     by mailserv.mta.ca (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f4AAwqm21469
     for categories-list; Thu, 10 May 2001 07:58:52 -0300 (ADT)
X-Authentication-Warning: mailserv.mta.ca: Majordom set sender to
[email-masked] using -f
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 19:18:32 -0700
From: Dusko Pavlovic <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.72 [en] (X11; U; SunOS 5.5.1 sun4u)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: [email-masked]
Subject: categories: Re: Limits
References: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk