Subject: categories: Our Advertisement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:09:59 +1000

MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY

DIVISION OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION SCIENCES

Department of Mathematics

Chair of Mathematics
(Full-time (continuing))
Ref. 19139

Applications are invited for a Chair of  Mathematics.   The 
Department of Mathematics has an international reputation for 
research in analysis, category theory and number theory.   The 
teaching program covers the range from undergraduate service teaching 
for science and business/economics degree majors, to mathematics 
majors and honours, and postgraduate research in mathematics.  The 
multidisciplinary Division of Information and Communication Sciences 
brings together Mathematics, Physics, Computing and Electronics and 
offers exciting opportunities for the development of mathematics and 
its applications in information technology, physics, communications 
and business.

The appointee will be a distinguished academic who will strengthen 
teaching and research in mathematics and its applications, lead the 
Department in the development and implementation of educational and 
research objectives, expand cooperation with other Departments in the 
Division and elsewhere in the University, and develop teaching and 
research links with the industry and business community. The 
appointment will provide an opportunity for growth and  will be 
supported by a substantial start-up grant and a new lectureship in 
the  Department. The appointee will be expected to be Head of 
Department from time  to time.

Essential  criteria:   A PhD or equivalent in mathematics; an 
outstanding international research reputation and strong publication 
record; demonstrated ability to attract research funding; extensive 
experience in research supervision; an accomplished teaching record; 
effective communication and administrative skills; a capacity for 
academic leadership through innovation, motivation and strategic 
thinking.

Desirable criteria:   Ability to identify and develop productive 
partnerships with the external community, or successful experience in 
curriculum reform  and the development of flexible learning 
approaches in the delivery of the teaching program.

Enquiries:    Professor Jim Piper, Head of Division on phone +61 2 
9850 9500 or e-mail [email-masked] or Dr Rod Yager, Head of 
Department on  +61 2 9850 8934 or fax +61 2 9850 8114 or e-mail 
[email-masked]

Further information is also available at http://www.math.mq.edu.au

The position is available on a full-time (continuing) basis.

Salary range:  Level E (Professor) A$ 92,425 to A$96,861 per annum, 
plus superannuation.

The University reserves the right to invite applications for any 
position, to leave the Chair unfilled, to make more than one 
appointment, and to make enquiries of any person regarding the 
candidate's suitability for appointment.

Further information about the University, conditions of appointment 
and the method of application should be obtained from Ms Gaby Laudams 
on phone +61 2 98509725 or fax +61 2 9850 9748 or e-mail 
 [email-masked]

An application package MUST be obtained prior to sending your application.

Applicants should systematically address the selection criteria, and 
 include a full curriculum vitae, evidence of academic qualifications 
and experience, and copies of their best three publications, which 
should be highlighted in the application. Applicants should also 
state their visa status, and provide the names and addresses 
(including e-mail address, telephone and fax numbers) of three 
academic and professional referees. Applications quoting the 
reference number should be forwarded to the Recruitment Manager, 
Personnel Office, Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia by   30 
September 2001.  Applications will not be acknowledged unless 
specifically requested.

Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity and No Smoking in the Workplace are 
University Policies.
www.jobs.mq.edu.au