Subject: categories: GETCO 2001 : 2nd Call for papers

From: Philippe Gaucher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:27:21 +0200 (MET DST)

3rd workshop on 

                                        Geometric and
                                     Topological Methods
                                        in Concurrency
                                          GETCO 2001

                                          hosted by 

                              Concur 2001, and Aalborg University

Venue: Aalborg University, Denmark

Conference dates:
CONCUR: August 21-24, 2001
GETCO:    August 25, 2001

                                      2nd Call for papers

Scope of the workshop

The main mathematical disciplines that have been used in computer science
are discrete mathematics (especially, graph theory and ordered
structures), logics (mostly proof theory for all kinds of logics,
classical, intuitionistic, modal etc.) and category theory (cartesian
closed categories, topoi etc.). General Topology has also been used for
instance in denotational semantics, with relations to ordered structures
in particular.

Recently, ideas and notions from mainstream "geometric" topology and
algebraic topology have entered the scene in Concurrency Theory and
Distributed Systems Theory (some of them based on older ideas). They have
been applied in particular to problems dealing with coordination of
multi-processor and distributed systems (see the historical note ). Among
those are techniques borrowed from algebraic and geometric topology:
Simplicial techniques have led to new theoretical bounds for coordination
problems. Higher dimensional automata have been modelled as cubical
complexes with a partial order reflecting the time flows, and their
homotopy properties allow to reason about a system's global behaviour.

The first workshop on the subject Geometric and Topological Methods in
Concurrency Theory has been held in Aalborg, Denmark, in June 1999. GETCO
2000 was organised as a workshop affiliated with CONCUR 2000 at Penn State
University. The recent volumes 10 of Math. Struct. in Comp. Science and
39, issue 2, of Electr. Notes Theor. Comp. Science have been devoted to
this area.

The 3rd workshop in this series will be organised as a satellite to CONCUR
2001 at Aalborg University (Aug.21 - Aug.24). It aims at bringing together
researchers from both the mathematical (geometry, topology, algebraic
topology etc.) and computer scientific side (concurrency theorists,
semanticians, researchers in distributed systems etc.) with an active
interest in these or related developments.

Topics include (but are not limited to) Semantics, Concurrency Theory,
Model-checking, Abstract Interpretation, Fault-tolerant Protocols for
Distributed Systems, Geometrical/Topological models, Applications of
algebraic topology, Category theory etc.

Paper submission

The deadline for submission to the workshop is May 20, 2001 (midnight).
Submissions may be of two forms: 

       Short abstracts: up to 4 pages, in format A4, typeset 11 points 
       Full papers: up to 12 pages, in format A4, typeset 11 points (excluding
       bibliography and technical appendices) 

Both forms of submission should include a separate page with the following
informations: title, author(s), corresponding author, contact information and a
12-15 lines summary. Simultaneous submission to other conferences or journals is
only allowed for short abstracts. 

Electronic submission is strongly encouraged. The paper or abstract should
be sent by e-mail in the form of a postscript file to both the addresses
[email-masked] and [email-masked]. The accompanying
page should be sent in a separate email message. If surface mail has to be
used, then 3 copies of the paper/abstract should be sent to: Martin
Raussen, Dept. of Mathematical Sciences, Aalborg University, Fredrik
Bajersvej 7G, DK-9220 Aalborg Øst, Denmark.

Publication

Accepted papers will be made available in the BRICS Notes series.
Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science has kindly offered to
publish the proceedings of the workshop - full papers only - in a special
volume. The programme committee will decide upon necessary revisions and
acceptance of papers to this volume after the workshop.

Registration

The registration for GETCO'2001 is made through the registration for Concur'2001
with no extra-charge. 

Programme Committee:

       Patrick Cousot, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, France 
       Lisbeth Fajstrup, Aalborg University, Denmark 
       Eric Goubault, Commissariat a l'Energie Atomique, France 
       Jeremy Gunawardena, Hewlett-Packard BRIMS, England 
       Maurice Herlihy, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA 
       Martin Raussen, Aalborg University, Denmark 
       Vladimiro Sassone, Catania University, Italy 

Important Dates

       Call for Papers: March 13, 2001 
       Deadline for submission: May 20, 2001 
       Notification of acceptance: July 1, 2001 
       Final version due: July 29, 2001 
       CONCUR: August 21-August 24, 2001 
       GETCO: August 25, 2001 

Local Organization

       Lisbeth Fajstrup, Aalborg University, Denmark 
       Eric Goubault, Commissariat a l'Energie Atomique, France 
       Martin Raussen, Aalborg University, Denmark 

Contact Person

Martin Raussen 
Department of Mathematics 
Aalborg University 
Fredrik Bajersvej 7G 
DK-9220 Aalborg Øst 
Denmark 
Phone: (+45) 96 35 88 55 
Fax: (+45) 98 15 81 29 
Email: [email-masked] 

Url : http://concur01.cs.auc.dk/workshop/workshops.html
      http://www-irma.u-strasbg.fr/~gaucher/getco/