Subject: categories: Probability Theory

From: Steve Stevenson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:35:18 -0400 (EDT)

Good morning:

I'm looking for papers/books on category-theoretic approaches to
probability. On the AMS site, there are only two listed: one in 1980
and one in 1976. Are there more recent?

best,
steve

---

From: "Amilcar Sernadas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 09:29:06 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Stevenson <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 1:35 PM
Subject: categories: Probability Theory

> and one in 1976. Are there more recent?

These papers and PhD thesis should be interesting (by decreasing order of
abstraction/generality):

C. Hermida and P. Mateus. Internal paracategories. Preprint, Section of
Computer Science, Department of Mathematics, Instituto Superior Técnico,
1049-001 Lisboa, Portugal, 2000. Submitted for publication.
Get a preprint:
http://www.cs.math.ist.utl.pt/ftp/pub/MateusP/00-CM-paracat.ps

L. Schröder and P. Mateus. Universal aspects of probabilistic automata.
Preprint, Section of Computer Science, Department of Mathematics, Instituto
Superior Técnico, 1049-001 Lisboa, Portugal, 1999. Submitted for
publication.
Get a preprint:
http://www.cs.math.ist.utl.pt/ftp/pub/MateusP/99-SM-precat2.ps

P. Mateus. Interconnection of Probabilistic Systems. PhD thesis, IST,
Universidade Técnica de Lisboa, 2000. Supervised by A. Sernadas and C.
Sernadas.
Get a preprint:
http://www.cs.math.ist.utl.pt/ftp/pub/MateusP/00-M-PhDthesis.ps

P. Mateus, A. Sernadas, and C. Sernadas. Precategories for combining
probabilistic automata. Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science,
29, 1999. Early version presented at FIREworks Meeting, Magdeburg, May
15-16, 1998. Presented at CTCS'99, Edinburgh, September 10-12, 1999.
http://www.elsevier.nl/cas/tree/store/tcs/free/entcs/store/tcs29/tcs29016.ps

P. Mateus, M. Cabral Morais, C. Nunes, A. Pacheco, A. Sernadas, and C.
Sernadas. Randomly timed automata. Preprint, Section of Computer Science,
Department of Mathematics, Instituto Superior Técnico, 1049-001 Lisboa,
Portugal, March 2000. Submitted for publication.
Get a preprint:
http://www.cs.math.ist.utl.pt/ftp/pub/SernadasA/00-MMNPSS-rta.ps

P. Mateus, A. Sernadas, and C. Sernadas. Realization of probabilistic
automata: Categorical approach. In Didier Bert and Christine Choppy,
editors, Recent Trends in Algebraic Development Techniques - Selected
Papers, volume 1827 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 237--251.
Springer-Verlag, 2000.
Get a preprint:
http://www.cs.math.ist.utl.pt/ftp/pub/SernadasA/99-MSS-probreal.ps

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Amilcar Sernadas
Departamento de Matematica
Instituto Superior Tecnico
Av. Rovisco Pais, 1049-001 Lisboa, PORTUGAL
tel: 351-21-8417150
fax: 351-21-8417598
e-mail: [email-masked]
www: http://www.cs.math.ist.utl.pt/cs/acs.html
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++