Subject: categories: Call for papers GETCO 2001

From: Philippe Gaucher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 19:27:14 +0100 (MET)

3rd workshop on

                                Geometric and
                             Topological Methods
                               in Concurrency
                                 GETCO 2001

                                 hosted by

             Concur 2001, , and Aalborg University

Venue: Aalborg University, Denmark

Conference dates:
CONCUR: August 21-24, 2001
GETCO:    August 25, 2001

                               Call for papers

Scope of the workshop

The main mathematical disciplines that have been used in computer science
are discrete mathematics (especially, graph theory and ordered structures),
logics (mostly proof theory for all kinds of logics, classical,
intuitionistic, modal etc.) and category theory (cartesian closed
categories, topoi etc.). General Topology has also been used for instance in
denotational semantics, with relations to ordered structures in particular.

Recently, ideas and notions from mainstream "geometric" topology and
algebraic topology have entered the scene in Concurrency Theory and
Distributed Systems Theory (some of them based on older ideas). They have
been applied in particular to problems dealing with coordination of
multi-processor and distributed systems (see the  historical note ). Among
those are techniques borrowed from algebraic and geometric topology:
Simplicial techniques have led to new theoretical bounds for coordination
problems. Higher dimensional automata have been modelled as cubical
complexes with a partial order reflecting the time flows, and their homotopy
properties allow to reason about a system's global behaviour.

The first workshop on the subject  Geometric and Topological Methods in
Concurrency Theory  has been held in Aalborg, Denmark, in June 1999. GETCO
2000 was organised as a workshop affiliated with CONCUR 2000 at Penn State
University.The recent volumes 10 of Math. Struct. in Comp. Science and 39,
issue 2, of Electr. Notes Theor. Comp. Science have been devoted to this
area.

The 3rd workshop in this series will be organised as a satellite to CONCUR
2001 at Aalborg University (Aug.21 - Aug.24). It aims at bringing together
researchers from both the mathematical (geometry, topology, algebraic
topology etc.) and computer scientific side (concurrency theorists,
semanticians, researchers in distributed systems etc.) with an active
interest in these or related developments.

Topics include (but are not limited to) Semantics, Concurrency Theory,
Model-checking, Abstract Interpretation, Fault-tolerant Protocols for
Distributed Systems, Geometrical/Topological models, Applications of
algebraic topology, Category theory etc.

Paper submission

The deadline for submission to the workshop is May 20, 2001 (midnight).
Submissions may be of two forms:

   * Short abstracts: up to 4 pages, in format A4, typeset 11 points
   * Full papers: up to 12 pages, in format A4, typeset 11 points (excluding
     bibliography and technical appendices)

Both forms of submission should include a separate page with the following
informations: title, author(s), corresponding author, contact information
and a 12-15 lines summary. Simultaneous submission to other conferences or
journals is only allowed for short abstracts.

Electronic submission is strongly encouraged. The paper or abstract should
be sent by e-mail in the form of a postscript file to both the addresses
[email-masked] and [email-masked]. The accompanying page
should be sent in a separate email message. If surface mail has to be used,
then 3 copies of the paper/abstract should be sent to: Martin Raussen, Dept.
of Mathematical Sciences, Aalborg University, Fredrik Bajersvej 7G, DK-9220
Aalborg Øst, Denmark.

Publication

Accepted papers will be made available in the BRICS Notes series.
For full publication -- only full papers -- first contacts have been taken
with Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science. Acceptance of papers
will be decided upon after the workshop.

Registration

The registration for GETCO'2001 is made through the registration for
Concur'2001 with no extra-charge.

Programme Committee (to be completed):

   * Patrick Cousot, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, France
   * Lisbeth Fajstrup, Aalborg University, Denmark
   * Eric Goubault, Commissariat à l'Energie Atomique, France
   * Jeremy Gunawardena, Hewlett-Packard BRIMS, England
   * Martin Raussen, Aalborg University, Denmark
   * Vladimiro Sassone, Catania University, Italy

Important Dates

   * Call for Papers: March 13, 2001
   * Deadline for submission: May 20, 2001
   * Notification of acceptance: July 1, 2001
   * Final version due: July 29, 2001
   * CONCUR: August 21-August 24, 2001
   * GETCO: August 25, 2001

Local Organization

   * Lisbeth Fajstrup, Aalborg University, Denmark
   * Eric Goubault, Commissariat à l'Energie Atomique, France
   * Martin Raussen, Aalborg University, Denmark

Contact 

http://www.math.auc.dk/~raussen/GETCO/getco.html

Martin Raussen
Department of Mathematics
Aalborg University
Fredrik Bajersvej 7G
DK-9220 Aalborg Øst
Denmark
Phone: (+45) 96 35 88 55
Fax: (+45) 98 15 81 29
Email: [email-masked]