Subject: categories: Apery and categories

From: Pierre Ageron <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:39:01 +0100 (CET)

Professor Roger Apéry (1916-1994) spent all of his career at the
University of Caen. He is best known for advocating  constructive
mathematics against bourkakism and for proving that zeta(3) is irrational.
What is less known is his enthusiasm about category theory, as  an
alternative to set theory (to some extent). According to his son, he became
a lover of CT at a seminar in Montréal in 1964. If any reader of this list
remembers talking with Apéry at that time or later, or knows of any idea he
expressed on CT, I would be grateful about any bit of information. Thank
you!

PIERRE AGERON

1) coordonnees bureau

adresse: Departement de mathematiques, Universite de Caen, 14032 Caen Cedex
(mon bureau se trouve desormais sur le Campus 2, bat. Sciences 3, piece 322)
telephone :  02 31 56 74 67
telecopie :  02 31 56 73 20
adresse electronique : [email-masked]
page personnelle : http://matin.math.unicaen.fr/~ageron/

2) coordonnees domicile
adresse : 28 rue de Formigny 14000 Caen
telephone : 02 31 84 39 67