Subject: categories: 2nd announcement: meeting at Stanford

From: Rick Jardine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:37:39 -0500

Second Announcement: Conference on Algebraic Topological Methods
                     in Computer Science

Department of Mathematics
Stanford University

July 30 - August 3, 2001

The application of algebraic topological methods in areas related to
Computer Science is an emerging field that is of interest to both pure
and applied mathematical scientists. The aim of this conference is to
describe recent advances, and define the fundamental open problems in
the field through a mixture of expository and technical
lectures. There will be twenty-one main lectures, on a variety of
topics in the area.  

This meeting has been funded by grants from Hewlett-Packard and the
National Science Foundation.

The following mathematical scientists have agreed to speak:

John Baez (Math, UC Riverside)
Marshall Bern (Xerox PARC)
Anders Bjorner (Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm)
Tamal Dey (CS, Ohio State)
Herbert Edelsbrunner (CS, Duke)
David Eppstein (CS, UC Irvine)
Michael Freedman (Microsoft)
Philippe Gaucher (CNRS, Strasbourg)
Eric Goubault (Commissariat a l'Energie Atomique, France)
Jean Goubault-Larrecq (ENS Cachan)
Marco Grandis (Dip. di Mat., Genova)
Jeremy Gunawardena (HP BRIMS)
John Harer (Math, Duke)
Joel Hass (Math, UC Davis)
Maurice Herlihy (CS, Brown)
Reinhard Laubenbacher (Math, NMSU)
Laszlo Lovasz (Microsoft)
Vaughan Pratt (CS, Stanford)
Christian Reidys (Los Alamos National Lab)
Bernd Sturmfels (Math, UC Berkeley)
Noson Yanofsky (CS, Brooklyn College)

The organizers for this meeting are:

Gunnar Carlsson, [email-masked]
Rick Jardine, [email-masked]

We ask that all participants register for the meeting.  The latest
information and all registration forms are available at the Stanford
Conference Web Site (http://math.stanford.edu/atmcs/index.htm).

A limited amount of time at the meeting will be devoted to short talks
by conference participants. If you would like to give a short
presentation, please send an abstract to [email-masked].

There will be a volume of proceedings for the conference, to appear in
the journal "Homology, Homotopy and Applications", with Gunnar
Carlsson as senior editor. Submissions for this volume should be set
in LATEX and should be sent to [email-masked], to arrive by
Friday, August 17. We are interested in expository papers on
particular areas of application of topology, as well as research
papers.

There will be housing for conference participants on the Stanford
campus, at the rate of about 50.00 US per night for single
accomodation: a reservation form is available at the Stanford
Conference Web Site. There are also several hotels in the area - see
the Stanford site for a list.

Limited financial support may be available for travel and housing:
please make your request when registering.