Subject: categories: job: Research studentships available at Birmingham

From: Marta Z Kwiatkowska <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:30:54 GMT

[Please forward to anyone interested. Apologies for multiple mailing.]

=========================================================================
                    
                        The University of Birmingham
                         School of Computer Science

                           Research studentships
                                     in
                Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence

=========================================================================

The School of Computer Science has research strengths in the areas of
Theoretical Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive
Science, and Software Engineering. 

The Theory of Computation group concentrates on the development of
logics and semantics for programming languages. The overall aim is to
provide intuitive conceptual tools for the everyday practice of
programming.  Within this framework, the activities range from abstract
mathematics to issues of implementation and software development.  For
an overview of past research activities of the group, including funded
research projects and publications, see the URL:
   http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/research.html  
 
Current academic and research members of the Theory group are: 

   Dr Martin Escardo
   Dr Carsten Fuhrman 
   Dr Mateja Jamnik
   Professor Achim Jung
   Dr Manfred Kerber
   Dr Marta Kwiatkowska
   Dr Gethin Norman
   Professor Uday Reddy
   Dr Eike Ritter
   Dr Mark Ryan 
   Dr Jeremy Sproston 
   Dr Hayo Thielecke  
   
There are also 11 PhD students associated with the group, of the total
of 40 in the School.  Possible topics for research include, but are not
restricted to:

   Verification and model checking
   Feature interactions in reactive systems
   Abstraction and decomposition in model checking
   Verification of probabilistic systems (theory and implementation)
   Verification of real-time systems (theory and implementation)
   Probabilistic and stochastic calculi    
   Semantics for concurrency
   Temporal and modal logics
   Domain theory
   Topological methods in computer science
   Exact real number computation                      
   Constructive mathematics
   Extensions to the relational database model (theory and implementation) 
   Parametricity and foundations of data abstraction
   Semantics and formal methods for OO programming   
   Continuations and control
   Semantics and reasoning for computational effects 
   Categorical models of programming languages
   Linear logic, type theory and corresponding categorical semantics 
   Linear abstract machines
   Agent-based mathematical reasoning
   Machine-assisted reasoning
   Diagrammatic reasoning
   Theorem proving and proof planning

Applicants must have or be about to gain at least an upper second class
honours degree or an overseas equivalent in Computer Science or a
related subject. 

Successful applicants will be offerred an opportunity to join The
Midlands Graduate School in the Foundations of Computing Science, a
recent initiative between the Universities of Birmingham, Leicester,
Nottingham and Warwick aiming to provide broader educational experience
for doctoral students.  For more information see URL:
   http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/MGS/

The School has a number of studentships and teaching assistantships.
The teaching assistantships are available to UK and EU applicants while
a range of studentships are available to all applicants.  Details are
given in:
    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~pjh/prospectus/funding/research.html

The School's research student prospectus and application form are
available from:
   http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/studentinfo/form_mailer.html

Informal enquiries can be directed to any member of the group (see URL

   http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/system/auto-gen/staff.html
   http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk
   
for contact information), or *in the first instance* to 

   Marta Kwiatkowska    Email [email-masked]
                        Tel   +44 121 414 7264
			FAX   +44 121 414 4281
			
=========================================================================