Subject: categories: CALL FOR REGISTRATION: ESSLLI 2001 (Helsinki, Finland)

From: Ahti Pietarinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:46:33 +0200 (EET)

- Apologies for multiple copies

- If you want to receive detailed information including the ESSLLI 2001
  poster please send us ([email-masked]) your complete address.

 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  CALL FOR REGISTRATION  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          13th European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information
                                   ESSLLI 2001

                             University of Helsinki
                                     FINLAND
                               August 13-24, 2001

                         http://www.helsinki.fi/esslli

		** Early registration deadline: 30 April 2001 **

GENERAL INFORMATION

The 13th European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information (ESSLLI'01)
will take place at the University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland, during two
weeks in August, from August 13 until 24.

The ESSLLI Summer Schools are organised under the auspices of FoLLI
(http://www.folli.uva.nl), the European Association for Logic, Language and
Information.

The main focus of the European Summer Schools is the interface between
linguistics, logic and computation. Foundational, introductory and advanced
courses, workshops and special events cover a wide variety of topics within
six areas of interest:

  * Logic
  * Language
  * Computation
  * Logic and Language
  * Logic and Computation
  * Language and Computation

The number of courses offered is over 50. Previous summer schools have been
highly successful, attracting around 500 students from Europe and elsewhere.
The school has developed into an important meeting place and forum for
discussion for students, researchers and IT professionals interested in
the interdisciplinary study of Logic, Language and Information. In addition
to courses, workshops and evening lectures there will be a Student Session
and a social program.

COURSE PROGRAM

The full scientific program can be found at our home page. Evening
Lectures are given by

 * Edward L. Keenan "Spinoza Lecture" (UCLA)
 * Yannis Moschovakis "Vienna Circle Lecture" (UCLA)
 * Keith Devlin (Saint Mary's College, California)
 * Jaakko Hintikka (Boston & Helsinki)
 * Bonnie Webber (Edinburgh)

WORKSHOPS

There are currently several Calls for Workshop Papers. Please visit our
home page for detailed information.

TRAVEL AND LOCAL INFORMATION

By plane to Helsinki airport and then a 30-minute nonstop coach or taxi
service to the main railway station. From the railway station 5-minute walk
to the university.

A gateway between East and West, the city of Helsinki (population 1M) is
the capital of Finland and one of the nine European Cities of Culture for
the millennium. It is located at the warm and sunny south coast of Finland,
within an easy reach from the main airports worldwide, or inside Europe by
car or regular train services, or using the ferry services operating within
the Baltic region.

The scientific program of ESSLLI'01 will be held in the University Main
Building, located on the University city campus at the very centre of
Helsinki. The accommodation will be arranged at the University Summer Hotel
close to the city campus. The accommodation includes sauna and breakfast.

REGISTRATION

ESSLLI 2001 is now open for registration. The registration fee for students
is just ECU 190, for scholars ECU 350, and for industrial affiliates ECU 600.
Please visit our home page for the on-line registration form and detailed
instructions.

** Early registration deadline: 30 April 2001 **

All participants will get a letter of invitation to facilitate the procedure
of getting a visa.

GRANTS

There will be a limited number of grants available, to partially support
travel, registration and accommodation for ESSLLI'01. Instructions for
grant applications are found at our home page.

** Deadline for grant applications: 31 May 2001 **

SPEACIAL EVENTS

During ESSLLI, special "Finnish for Foreigners" language courses will be
organised, as well as various excursions and other social events. Helsinki
Summer School (http://summerschool.helsinki.fi) will offer special deals for
ESSLLI participants who want to choose some of their courses and earn
credits.

SATELLITE EVENTS

The Association for the Mathematics of Language will stage its annual meeting
(MoL7) in conjunction with ESSLLI'01 in Helsinki, in the weekend preceding
ESSLLI in August 10-12, and the affiliated Formal Grammar Conference will be
held in conjunction with the Mathematics of Language Conference. ESSLLI
participants are entitled to reduced registration fees.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

    Marcus Kracht	 (Chair) <[email-masked]>
    Jouko Väänänen	 (Logic)
    Bonnie Webber	 (Language)
    Claude Kirchner	 (Computation)
    Michael Moortgat	 (Logic and Language)
    Steffen Hölldobler   (Computation and Logic)
    Claire Gardent	 (Language and Computation)

CONTACT ADDRESSES

Please visit ESSLLI'01 Home Page

	http://www.helsinki.fi/esslli

for updated information concerning the scientific program, registration fees
and procedures, grants, accommodation, satellite events, and other practical
information. For further enquiries concerning ESSLLI'01, please contact the
Organising Committee at <[email-masked]>, or write to

  ESSLLI 2001 Secretariat
  C/o Department of Philosophy
  P.O. Box 24
  00014 Helsinki University
  Finland

ESSLLI'01 is organised by the Department of Philosophy (coordinator), the
Department of Mathematics, the Department of General Linguistics, and the
Department of Computer Science at the University of Helsinki.

ORGANISING COMMITTEE

    Gabriel Sandu	(Chair, Philosophy)
    Jouko Väänänen	(Mathematics)
    Fred Karlsson	(General Linguistics)
    Ilkka Niiniluoto	(Philosophy)
    Martti Tienari	(Computer Science)
    Ahti Pietarinen	(Philosophy, secretariat) <[email-masked]>

================================================================================