Subject: categories: New PhD Positions in Computing Science, Gothenburg, Sweden

From: Reiner Haehnle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 17:07:30 +0100 (MET)

Please pass on to interested students. Apologies for multiple copies.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

New PhD Positions  (DEADLINE 1 March 2001! See "How to apply" below.)

		   Department of Computing Science,
     Chalmers University of Technology & University of Gothenburg
				Sweden

The Department has about 70 researchers, half being faculty members
and half PhD students. Our focus is on programming logic, type theory,
functional programming, formal methods, distributed and concurrent
systems, security, algorithms, bioinformatics, human computer
interaction, and computational linguistics, but research is not
restricted to these topics.  For more information, see
http://www.cs.chalmers.se/Cs/Research.

PhD positions are for 5 years. There is no tuition fee. A PhD position
is a regular job with social benefits; the salary amounts currently to
about 16700 SEK per month in the first year (the exact amount depends
on teaching duties, usually 20% of your time).

Knowledge of Swedish is not a prerequisite for application. English is
our working language for research. Both Swedish and English are used
in undergraduate courses.  Half of our researchers and PhD students
are native Swedes; the rest come from more than 20 different
countries.

Applicants must have a very good undergraduate degree in Computing
Science or in a related subject with a strong Computing Science
component. They must also have a strong interest in doing research.

You may also apply if you have not yet completed your degree, but
expect to do so by September 2001. You are also invited to apply for
our new International Master's Programme in Dependable Computer
Systems, which can help you to obtain the necessary qualification (see
http://www.cs.chalmers.se/Cs/Education/dcs/)

The School especially welcomes female applicants.

How to apply
------------

First, immediately register your intention to apply using the
electronic application form on the WWW via

  http://www.md.chalmers.se/Jobs/PhD/phd-01-en.thtml

The full application should contain

  1 A letter of application, listing specific research interests
  2 A curriculum vitae
  3 Attested copies of degrees and other certificates
  4 Copies of relevant work, for example dissertations or
    articles, that you have authored or co-authored
  5 A description of:
    a previous teaching experience, documented, if any
    b previous PhD studies, also in other subjects.
      State financial support for these, if any
    c previous work experience
  6 Letters of recommendation from your teachers or employers

If you have financial support of your own (industry job, grant, etc.),
please state this fact clearly. It will increase your chances to be
accepted considerably, because you need not compete for the limited
number of fully financed positions.

Send your application (paper mail) to

  Section for Mathematics and Computer Science
  Chalmers University of Technology
  412 96 Gothenburg
  Sweden

to arrive by 1 March 2000.  You will know the result of your
application by 1 May 2000.