Subject: categories: GT-VMT'01 Call for papers

From: "Luciano Baresi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 20:17:58 -0800

Call for Papers

Second International Workshop on Graph Transformation
and Visual Modeling Techniques
<http://www.elet.polimi.it/GT-VMT>

Crete, Greece,
July 12 and 13, 2001

A Satellite Event of ICALP'2001
<http://www.cti.gr/engl_v/news/sc_conf/icalp.html>

SCOPE AND OBJECTIVES OF THE WORKSHOP

The growing success of visual modeling techniques in the design and
development of complex applications is justified by many reasons.  For
example, the use of visual representations simplifies the
communication both among developers and between developers and their
customers; furthermore, visual techniques provide a high-level, yet
precise language which allows to express and reason about concepts at
their natural level of abstraction; finally, the availability of
modern computational resources (like graphical workstations) provides
easier access to tools supporting such techniques.
However, despite the wide-spread usage of visual modeling techniques,
compared to textual languages there is a lack of well-understood (and
integrated) methodologies for defining their semantics.  For example,
there exists no equivalent approach to operational semantics in the
SOS style, nor is there a general method for defining denotational
semantics.  The same applies to concepts like type systems, deductive
proof methods, etc. for visual modeling techniques.
On the other hand there are a number of individual approaches which
exploit formalisms like Graph Transformation Systems, Process Algebra,
Abstract State Machines, etc. to solve certain aspects of the overall
problem.
The workshop aims at bringing together scientists and researchers
interested in discussing formal methodologies for the definition of
syntax and semantics of visual modeling techniques. In particular
contributions exploring the use of the theory of Graph Grammars and
Graph Transformation Systems to this aim are welcome, as well as
approaches based on other formalisms.
Preferably, the contributions should be methodological in nature,
rather than focusing on particular technical aspects.

CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS

Authors are invited to submit extended abstracts of up to 5 (five) A4
pages.  The contributions should report about ongoing research in the
area of graph transformation and visual modeling techniques,
especially on the syntax and semantics of visual languages according
to the scope and objectives of the workshop. Contributions exploring
the use of Graph Grammars and Graph Transformation Systems are
particularly welcome, as well as papers which cover several aspects or
integrate different formalisms for the definition of visual modeling
techniques. Position papers and contributions making methodological
statements are strongly encouraged. Submissions should be sent
preferably in postscript format to the address [email-masked]
(Luciano Baresi) before the submission deadline. In the case
electronic submission is not possible, three copies should be sent to
the address:

Luciano Baresi
DEI - Politecnico di Milano
Piazza L. da Vinci, 32. I-20133 - MILANO (Italy)

IMPORTANT DATES

Deadline for submissions:                       March 5, 2001
Notification of acceptance:                     April 5, 2001
Final version of accepted extended abstracts:   May 2, 2001

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Luciano Baresi                (Politecnico di Milano, Italy) [co-chair]
Andrea Corradini              (University of Pisa, Italy)
Gregor Engels                 (University of Paderborn, Germany)
Robert France                 (Colorado State University, USA)
Reiko Heckel                  (University of Paderborn, Germany)
Hans-Joerg Kreowski           (University of Bremen, Germany)
Francesco Parisi Presicce     (Universit=E0 di Roma, Italy)
Mauro Pezze'                  (Universita' di Milano, Bicocca, Italy)[co-chair]
Gregor Rozenberg              (Universiteit Leiden ,Netherlands)
Gabriele Taentzer             (TU Berlin, Germany) [co-chair]

PROCEEDINGS

The abstracts of the contributions accepted for presentation will be
published in a volume collecting the contributions to all satellite
workshops of ICALP 2001. The volume will be published by Carleton
Scientific, and it will be distributed to all ICALP participants.  On
the basis of the number and quality of the submissions, the Program
Committee will consider the possibility of inviting submissions for a
special issue of an international journal dedicated to the workshop.

INVITED SPEAKERS
Hartmut Ehrig           (TU Berlin, Germany)
Mary Jean Harrold       (Georgia Institute of Technology, USA)
Andy Schorr             (University of the German Federal Armed Forces,Germany)
Alex Wolf               (University of Colorado at Boulder, USA)

FURTHER INFORMATION

Please contact:

Luciano Baresi
DEI - Politecnico di Milano
Piazza L. da Vinci, 32. I-20133 - MILANO (Italy)
Fax: +39 02 2399 3411
E-mail: [email-masked]

Mauro Pezze'
DISCO - Universita' di Milano Bicocca
Via Bicocca degli Arcimboldi 8 - I-20126 MILANO (Italy)
Fax: +39 02 6448 7839
E-mail: [email-masked]

Gabriele Taentzer
Technical University of Berlin
Computer Science Department (FB 13)
Sekr. FR 6-1
Franklinstr. 28/29, D-10587 Berlin (Germany)
Fax: +49 30 314 23516
Email: [email-masked]