Subject: categories: WRS'2001 - First call for papers

From: Salvador Lucas Alba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:59:43 +0100

[Apologies for multiple copies of this announcement]

**************************************************************
***************  first  call for papers and participation
****************
**************************************************************

International Workshop on Reduction Strategies in Rewriting and
                     Programming (WRS 2001)

                      http://www.logic.at/wrs01/

                 held in conjunction with RTA 2001
               Utrecht, The Netherlands, May 26, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACKGROUND AND AIMS

Reduction strategies in rewriting and programming have attracted an
increasing attention within the last years. New types of reduction
strategies have been invented and investigated, and new results on
rewriting / computation under particular strategies have
been obtained. Research in this field ranges from primarily
theoretical
questions about reduction strategies to very practical application and

implementation issues. The need for a deeper understanding of
reduction
strategies in rewriting and programming, both in theory and practice,
is obvious, since they bridge the gap between unrestricted general
rewriting (computation) and (more deterministic) rewriting with
particular strategies (programming). Moreover, reduction strategies
provide a natural way to go from operational principles (e.g., graph
and term rewriting, narrowing, lambda-calculus) and semantics (e.g.,
normalization, computation of values, infinitary normalization,
head-normalization) to implementations of programming
languages.

Therefore any progress in this area is likely to be of interest not
only to the rewriting community, but also to neighbouring fields like
functional programming, functional-logic programming, and termination
proofs of algorithms.

The workshop wants to provide a forum for the presentation and
discussion of new ideas and results, recent developments, new research

directions, as well as of surveys on existing knowledge in this
area. Furthermore we aim at fostering interaction and exchange between

researchers and students actively working on such topics.
The workshop will be held in conjunction with RTA 2001 in Utrecht (The

Netherlands) on May 26, 2001. It will feature 2 invited talks, a panel

discussion, and contributed presentations selected from the
submissions, with ample time for discussion.

The workshop is (co-)organized by U Utrecht, TU Valencia and TU Wien.

TOPICS OF INTEREST

Topics of interest include, but are not restricted to,
- theoretical foundations for the definition and semantic description
  of reduction strategies
- strategies in different frameworks (term rewriting, graph rewriting,

  infinitary rewriting, lambda calculi, higher order rewriting,
  conditional rewriting, rewriting with built-ins, narrowing,
  constraint solving, etc.) and their application in (equational,
  functional, functional-logic) programming (languages)
- properties of reduction strategies / computations under
  strategies (e.g., completeness, computability, decidability,
  complexity, optimality, (hyper-)normalization, cofinality,
  fairness, perpetuality, context-freeness, neededness, lazyness,
  eagerness, strictness)
- interrelations, combinations and applications of
  reduction under different strategies (e.g., equivalence
  conditions for fundamental properties like termination and
  confluence, applications in modularity analysis, connections
  between strategies of different frameworks, etc.)
- program analysis and other semantics-based optimization techniques
  dealing with reduction strategies
- rewrite systems / tools / implementations with flexible /
  programmable strategies as essential concept / ingredient
- specification of reduction strategies in (real) languages
- data structures and implementation techniques for reduction
  strategies.

SUBMISSIONS

We solicit papers on all aspects of reduction strategies in
rewriting and programming. Submissions should describe unpublished
work, except for survey papers which are explicitly welcome,
too. Submissions should not exceed 10 pages (however, survey papers
may be longer) and be sent in postscript format to the PC co-chairs
([email-masked]) by March 1, 2001. Selection of papers by the PC
will be based on originality, significance, and correctness.
Accepted papers will be included in the workshop proceedings that will

be available at the workshop, and electronically on the web.
Depending on the number and quality of submissions, formal publication
of the proceedings is envisaged.

Researchers just interested in attending the workshop may send a
corresponding email to [email-masked] by March 1, 2001, preferably
together with a brief position paper (up to two pages in postscript)
describing their interest and/or work in the area. However, we will
also consider late requests for attendance.

INVITED TALKS

  Richard Kennaway (UEA Norwich, UK):
    (to be confirmed)
  Eelco Visser (U Utrecht, The Netherlands):
    A Survey of Strategies in Program Transformation Systems

PANEL DISCUSSION on ``Hot Topics in Reduction Strategies'' with

  Michael Hanus                  U Kiel (Germany)
  Tetsuo Ida                     U Tsukuba (Japan)
  Paul Klint (to be confirmed)   CWI & U Amsterdam (The Netherlands)

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

  Maria Alpuente                 TU Valencia (Spain)
  Rachid Echahed                 IMAG Grenoble (France)
  Bernhard Gramlich (co-chair)   TU Wien (Austria)
  Salvador Lucas (co-chair)      TU Valencia (Spain)
  Vincent van Oostrom            U Utrecht (The Netherlands)
  Rinus Plasmeijer               KU Nijmegen (The Netherlands)
  Manfred Schmidt-Schauss        U Frankfurt a.M. (Germany)
  Yoshihito Toyama               U Tohoku (Japan)

LOCAL ORGANIZATION

  Vincent van Oostrom            U Utrecht (The Netherlands)

IMPORTANT DATES

  Submission    March 1, 2001
  Notification  March 31, 2001
  Final version April 30, 2001
  Workshop      May 26, 2001

FURTHER INFORMATION

  workshop website               http://www.logic.at/wrs01/
  workshop email address         [email-masked]

**************************************************************************