Subject: categories: AMS SS J1 (Applied Categorical Structures) in Toronto

From: "Walter Tholen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:24:45 -0400

Dear Category Theorist:

This is the final announcement for the Special Session on "Applied
Categorical Structures" at the up-coming AMS Meeting in Toronto, Sept. 23&24.
The Session will be held in Room 2173 of the Medical Sciences Building on the
downtown campus  of the University of Toronto. It will start on Saturday at 9am
and finish on Sunday at 5pm.

For comprehensive and continually updated meeting and program information,
including accommodation in Toronto, see

http://www.ams.org/meetings/

For the the program of the Session, see also the end of this message. There has
been one change since Andre' Joyal is not able to attend, due to sudden
unavoidable circumstances.

There will be a WELCOME PARTY on Friday, September 22, starting at 7pm, for
participants of the Session. With funds provided by York University we are
pleased to be able to invite you and your spouse/friend to a complimentary
buffet dinner (open till 10pm) in the Thai restaurant

"Sawaddee" at 150 Avenue Road, Toronto, tel. (416) 921 9198.

The restaurant is located at the north-west corner of the intersection of
Avenue Road with Davenport, which is 7 (very short) blocks north of Bloor St.
It's about a 15-minute walk from the UofT-campus, and less than 5 minutes from
the Howard Johnson Inn which we mentioned in our previous message. The walk
from the Days Inn on Carlton St would be about 30 minutes; a reasonable
alternative to walking all the way or taking a short taxi ride would be walking
westbound from the hotel on Carlton and College to Bay Street and taking the
"Bay" bus no.6 north and to get off right at the intersection Avenue
Rd/Davenport (subway token or exact fare $2 required). If coming by car to the
restaurant, your best bet would be to search for spots on the streets in the
area north west of the restaurant, success not guaranteed.

In order for us to know the approximate number of participants, PLEASE LET US
KNOW BY FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, WHETHER YOU'LL BE COMING TO THE WELCOME PARTY, by
e-mailing [email-masked] (see form below).

We look forward to seeing you in Toronto.

Joan Wick Pelletier
Walter Tholen

*******************************************************************************

I shall be attending the "Welcome Party" on Friday, September 22:  YES/NO

I will be accompanied by my spouse/friend:  YES/NO

NAME:

********************** Send to  [email-masked] **********************

PROGRAMME

  Saturday, Sept. 23:

  9:00 Matt Brin  (see abstract below)              3:00 Stephen Awodey
  9:30 Myles Tierney                                3:30 Lars Birkedal
 10:00 Jack Duskin                                  4:00 David Benson
 10:30 Marco Grandis                                4:30 John MacDonald
 11:00 Enrico Vitale                                5:00 Richard Wood

  Sunday, Sept. 24:

  9:00 Marta Bunge                                  2:00 Joachim Lambek
  9:30 Michael Makkai                               2:30 James Madden
 10:00 Robin Cockett                                3:00 Gloria Tashjian
 10:30 M. M. Mawanda                                3:30 Robert Pare
 11:00 F. William Lawvere                           4:00 Jiri Rosicky
                                                    4:30 F. J. O. Souza

All talks are 25 minutes long. The titles follow. The full abstracts may be
seen at the web site cited above.

 Abstract #    Title     Authors                                   Date
                                                                   Received

 957-18-265    On the pivotal, symmetric case of involutory Hopf   13-jul-2000
               objects.
                         Fernando J. O. Souza*, [email-masked]

 957-18-235    Higher category theory.                             12-jul-2000
                         Andre Joyal*, [email-masked]

 957-06-218    Injective hulls of partially ordered monoids.       12-jul-2000
                         J. Lambek*

 957-18-214    Modelling a sketch in an object in a 2-category.    11-jul-2000
                         Michael Johnson, [email-masked]
                         Robert Rosebrugh, [email-masked]
                         R. J. Wood*, [email-masked]

 957-18-204    Open problems on finiteness and their counting      11-jul-2000
               measures.
                         Mbila-Mambu Mawanda*, [email-masked]

 957-18-199    Monoreflections in categories of ordered rings.     10-jul-2000
                         James J Madden*, [email-masked]

 957-18-198    Nerves of Bicategories: Morphisms and Simplicial    10-jul-2000
               Maps.
                         John W Duskin*, [email-masked]

 957-18-157    A summary report on the state of our knowledge of   05-jul-2000
               weak higher dimensional categories.
                         Michael Makkai*, [email-masked]

 957-18-140    Dominances and Spread Completions.                  04-jul-2000
                         Marta C Bunge*, [email-masked]

 957-18-132    Finitely productive classes of uniform spaces       03-jul-2000
               which generate cartesian-closed categories.
                         Gloria Tashjian*

 957-68-123    Certain spans of sketches model problems of         29-jun-2000
               complexity NP.
                         David B Benson*, [email-masked]

 957-18-107    Flat covers and factorizations.                     27-jun-2000
                         Jiri Rosicky*, [email-masked]

 957-18-90     Free Double Categories and the Word Problem for     25-jun-2000
               Groups.
                         Robert Par\'e*, [email-masked]
                         Robert MacG. Dawson, [email-masked]

 957-18-77     A higher dimensional homotopy sequence.             22-jun-2000
                         Marco Grandis, [email-masked]
                         Enrico Vitale*, [email-masked]

 957-18-76     Some absolute pullbacks and pushouts in             22-jun-2000
               $\boldsymbol{\Delta}$.
                         Myles Tierney*, [email-masked]

 957-18-61     Monads and Structure.                               16-jun-2000
                         John L. MacDonald*, [email-masked]

 957-18-59     Relating realizability using sheaves.               16-jun-2000
                         Steve Awodey*, [email-masked]
                         Andrej Bauer
                         Dana S Scott

 957-03-51     Relative and Modified Relative Realizability.       13-jun-2000
                         Lars Birkedal*, [email-masked]
                         Jaap van Oosten, [email-masked]

 957-18-39     Higher fundamental functors in some categories of   07-jun-2000
               presheaves.
                         Marco Grandis*, [email-masked]

 957-18-30     Game theory revisited: categorical proof theories   31-may-2000
               for games.
                         J. Robin B. Cockett*, [email-masked]

 957-18-19     Toposes and Continuum Microphysics.                 22-may-2000
                         F. William Lawvere*, [email-masked].

 NEW           The chameleon groups of Richard J. Thompson:        09-sep-2000
               categories with multiplication.
                         Matt Brin*, [email-masked].

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Matt Brin: The chameleon groups of Richard J. Thompson: categories with
> mutliplication
>
> Abstract:
>
> We show that any category with a functoral multiplication has
> asociated to it a handful of groups that are strongly related to
> infinte, finitely presented groups discovered by Richard Thompson.
> To add weight to the connection between the multiplication and the
> groups, we prove that if associativity and commutativity
> equivalences are given, then they are are coherent (in the sense of
> MacLane) if and only if two of the groups turn out to be isomorphic
> to two of the groups discovered by Thompson.  This is the beginning
> (low dimensional part) of the formalization of the already known
> relation between coherence questions and Thompson's groups.