Subject: categories: Tech report: Models for Name-Passing Processes

From: Luca Cattani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 15:20:54 +0100

The following paper by Gian Luca Cattani and Peter Sewell

Models for Name-Passing Processes: Interleaving and Causal

is available as 

Technical Report 505 of Cambridge University Computer Laboratory

electronically from  

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/glc25/modnppictr.html

or

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/pes20/

or, in hard copy, by emailing "[email-masked]".

An abstract is attached below.

Luca

Abstract:

We study syntax-free models for name-passing processes. For
interleaving semantics, we identify the indexing structure 
required of an early labelled transition system to support the usual
pi-calculus operations, defining Indexed Labelled Transition 
Systems. For non-interleaving causal semantics we define Indexed
Labelled Asynchronus Transition Systems, smoothly generalizing both
our interleaving model and the standard Asynchronous Transition
Systems model for CCS-like calculi. In each case we relate a
denotational semantics to an operational view, for bisimulation and
causal bisimulation respectively. We establish completeness properties
of, and adjunctions between, categories of the two models. Alternative
indexing structures and possible applications are also
discussed. These are first steps towards a uniform understanding of
the semantics and operations of name-passing calculi.