Subject: categories: Job: post doc researcher in type systems at LFCS, Edinburgh

From: David Aspinall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:26:54 +0100 (BST)

POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER IN TYPE SYSTEMS FOR PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES

Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science 
Division of Informatics
University of Edinburgh

Project Summary: 
================

The project has the following principal objectives: 

- To design new type systems encompassing algorithms and uses of data
structures which fall into desirable feasible complexity classes, but
which are prohibited by current such systems.

- To extract explicit resource bounds and certificates from typing
derivations.

- To investigate applications of the new type systems for compiler
technology.  To explore applications to non-functional programming,
e.g., OOP.

The full project description at
  http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/mxh/epsrc_project.ps 
provides background material and further details.

Candidates: 
===========

All candidates should hold or soon complete a PhD in a related area of
Computer Science, for instance type systems, programming language
semantics, complexity theory related to programming languages,
compilation of functional programs.

Further details and application procedure: 
==========================================

See http://www.personnel.ed.ac.uk/FURPARTS/Acrel/306739.htm
for further details and application procedure.  
Applications must be via the Personnel Department, 
9-16 Chambers Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1HT. UK   
Tel: +44 (0)131 650 2260  Fax: +44 (0)131 650 6509
Quote reference number: 306739

Closing date is 3 October 2000.  
We cannot guarantee to consider late applications.

Start date is as soon as possible after 1 October 2000.

Informal enquiries may be made to Dr Martin Hofmann by email to
[email-masked]