Subject: categories: AMS SS J1 (Applied Categorical Structures) in Toronto

From: "Walter Tholen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:05:03 -0400

Below you will find the final schedule for the Special Session on "Applied
Categorical Structures" at the up-coming AMS Meeting in Toronto, Sept. 23&24.
There will be a Welcome Party on Friday evening (Sept. 22) - details to be
communicated in early September. Note specifically that the program on Sunday
afternoon continues until 5 pm rather than until 4pm as previously announced.

For comprehensive and continually updated meeting and program information,
including accommodation in Toronto, see

http://www.ams.org/meetings/

Hotel accomodation in Toronto during the month of September can be very tight.
In fact, the deadlines for making bookings in the two AMS-recommended hotels in
Toronto are approaching rapidly. These are:

"Courtyard by Marriott", 475 Yonge St., (416) 924-0611, $182 (Can.) for single
or double by
August 1;
"Days Inn", 30 Carlton St., (416) 977-6655 or (800) 325-2525, $139 (Can.) for
single or double by August 23.

As an alternative to the Days Inn (same price or lower, 15 min walk to
conference site) you may want to try the following smaller downtown hotel,
which we have used for vistors in the past:
Howard Johnson Inn, 89 Avenue Road, (416) 964-1220 or (800) 446 4656.

We look forward to seeing you in Toronto.

Joan Wick Pelletier
Walter Tholen

  Saturday, Sept. 23:

  9:00 Andre Joyal                                  3:00 Stephen Awodey
  9:30 Myles Tierney                                3:30 Lars Birkedal
 10:00 Jack Duskin                                  4:00 David Benson
 10:30 Marco Grandis                                4:30 John MacDonald
 11:00 Enrico Vitale                                5:00 Richard Wood

  Sunday, Sept. 24:

  9:00 Marta Bunge                                  2:00 Joachim Lambek
  9:30 Michael Makkai                               2:30 James Madden
 10:00 Robin Cockett                                3:00 Gloria Tashjian
 10:30 M. M. Mawanda                                3:30 Robert Pare
 11:00 F. William Lawvere                           4:00 Jiri Rosicky
                                                    4:30 F. J. O. Souza

All talks are 25 minutes long. The titles follow. The full abstracts may be
seen at the web site cited above.

 Abstract #    Title     Authors                                   Date
                                                                   Received

 957-18-265    On the pivotal, symmetric case of involutory Hopf   13-jul-2000
               objects.
                         Fernando J. O. Souza*, [email-masked]

 957-18-235    Higher category theory.                             12-jul-2000
                         Andre Joyal*, [email-masked]

 957-06-218    Injective hulls of partially ordered monoids.       12-jul-2000
                         J. Lambek*

 957-18-214    Modelling a sketch in an object in a 2-category.    11-jul-2000
                         Michael Johnson, [email-masked]
                         Robert Rosebrugh, [email-masked]
                         R. J. Wood*, [email-masked]

 957-18-204    Open problems on finiteness and their counting      11-jul-2000
               measures.
                         Mbila-Mambu Mawanda*, [email-masked]

 957-18-199    Monoreflections in categories of ordered rings.     10-jul-2000
                         James J Madden*, [email-masked]

 957-18-198    Nerves of Bicategories: Morphisms and Simplicial    10-jul-2000
               Maps.
                         John W Duskin*, [email-masked]

 957-18-157    A summary report on the state of our knowledge of   05-jul-2000
               weak higher dimensional categories.
                         Michael Makkai*, [email-masked]

 957-18-140    Dominances and Spread Completions.                  04-jul-2000
                         Marta C Bunge*, [email-masked]

 957-18-132    Finitely productive classes of uniform spaces       03-jul-2000
               which generate cartesian-closed categories.
                         Gloria Tashjian*

 957-68-123    Certain spans of sketches model problems of         29-jun-2000
               complexity NP.
                         David B Benson*, [email-masked]

 957-18-107    Flat covers and factorizations.                     27-jun-2000
                         Jiri Rosicky*, [email-masked]

 957-18-90     Free Double Categories and the Word Problem for     25-jun-2000
               Groups.
                         Robert Par\'e*, [email-masked]
                         Robert MacG. Dawson, [email-masked]

 957-18-77     A higher dimensional homotopy sequence.             22-jun-2000
                         Marco Grandis, [email-masked]
                         Enrico Vitale*, [email-masked]

 957-18-76     Some absolute pullbacks and pushouts in             22-jun-2000
               $\boldsymbol{\Delta}$.
                         Myles Tierney*, [email-masked]

 957-18-61     Monads and Structure.                               16-jun-2000
                         John L. MacDonald*, [email-masked]

 957-18-59     Relating realizability using sheaves.               16-jun-2000
                         Steve Awodey*, [email-masked]
                         Andrej Bauer
                         Dana S Scott

 957-03-51     Relative and Modified Relative Realizability.       13-jun-2000
                         Lars Birkedal*, [email-masked]
                         Jaap van Oosten, [email-masked]

 957-18-39     Higher fundamental functors in some categories of   07-jun-2000
               presheaves.
                         Marco Grandis*, [email-masked]

 957-18-30     Game theory revisited: categorical proof theories   31-may-2000
               for games.
                         J. Robin B. Cockett*, [email-masked]

 957-18-19     Toposes and Continuum Microphysics.                 22-may-2000
                         F. William Lawvere*, [email-masked].