Subject: categories: Osher Doctorow

From: Peter Freyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 05:44:03 -0400 (EDT)

Bob: I've added a description of his dissertation, so use this if
  you haven't already sent the other out.

I thought it might be interesting to find out about Osher Doctorow.
Something called "Nupedia" lists him as one of its "very distinguished
and active scholars, and all-around interesting people" to be found
among its Editors and Peer Reviewers. Nupedia tells us:
                                            
  Osher Doctorow (PR) -- Ph.D. (1982 UCLA).  Consultant in mathematics
  and physics mostly since 1973, Doctorow Consultants, Culver City,
  California.  M.A.  Mathematics (USC 1969), M.A. Anthropology
  (University of London 1961). Over 150 papers presented and
  publications, about 40 of which abstracted at Instititute for Logic
  at University of Vienna on the internet, plus (in addition to the
  150 or so above) about 40 book reviews on math and physics mostly,
  at Amazon.com. Taught university mathematics five years; Staff
  Research Assistant (statistics) UCLA six years; Mathematician U.S.
  Defense Department 2-1/4 years in artificial satellites (Sustained
  Superior Performance Award in Mathematics 1984); Statistician at
  private research institute one year; High School/Middle school
  mathematics teacher two years.  Member Armed Forces Communications
  and Electronics Association (AFCEA), UCLA Alumni Association
  (lifetime). Married 30+ years to Dr. Marleen Josie Doctorow
  (psychologist), one son, Eric.

PsycINFO tells us:

  Author
    Doctorow, Osher.
  Institution
    U California, Los Angeles.
  Title
    Modeling cognitive growth by the linear system of linked differential
    equations (LSDE). 
  Source
    Dissertation Abstracts International. Vol 43(10-A), Apr 1983, 3267.
  Key Phrase Identifiers
    linear system of differential equations, model of cognitive growth in
    reading & mathematics & language arts, 3rd graders, 4-5 yr longitudinal
    study

Following the Nupedia lead we find that the "Abstract Service for
Mathematical Logic" of the Institute for Logic at the University of
Vienna lists abstracts for 45 journal publications for Doctorow,
Osher. The journals in question turn out to be:

  20 Doctorow Consultants Technical Report
   5 Philosophy of Education Proceedings
   3 [email-masked] (History of Philosophy of Science)
   3 Humanist Discussion Group, Center for Computing Group in Humanities,
   3 Submitted for publication
   2 MCRIT-L (Intl. Society on Multiple Criteria Decision Making)
   2 Sociology and Social Research Vol. 48 Number 2 pp. 233-234
   1 American Anthropologist, April 1963
   1 Operations Research Society of America (ORSA) Newsletter
   1 Orbis Scientiae Global Foundation Quanum Gravity Conference 17.12.1999
   1 Policy Sciences 14 (1981), 31-47
   1 Semigroups Archives
   1 Socioeconomic Planning Sicences, 15(3), 1981
   1 TCC 2000 Teaching in the Community Colleges Online Conference
  --
  45

Read the abstracts at

   www.logic.univie.ac.at/cgi-bin/abstract

(where you can also find 13 abstracts by Cyrus F. Nourani).