Subject: categories: CALCULEMUS-2000 CFP

From: Manfred Kerber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:49:05 +0100

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

                           CALCULEMUS-2000
                  Symposium on the Integration of
             Symbolic Computation and Mechanized Reasoning
                            6-7 August 2000
                          St Andrews, Scotland
                      (collocated with ISSAC 2000)

            http://www.calculemus.net/meetings/standrews00/

PROGRAMME

http://www.calculemus.net/meetings/standrews00/program.html

REGISTRATION

http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/issac2000/registration.shtml

SCOPE

Both deduction systems and computer algebra systems are receiving
growing attention from industry and academia. On the one hand,
mathematical software systems have been commercially very
successful. Their use is now wide-spread in industry, education, and
scientific contexts. On the other hand, the use of formal methods in
hardware and software development has made deduction systems
indispensable not least because of the complexity and sheer size of
the reasoning tasks involved.  As many application domains fall
outside the scope of existing deduction systems and computer algebra
systems, there is still need for improvement and in particular need
for the integration of computer algebra and deduction systems.

The symposium is intended for researchers and developers interested in
combining the reasoning capabilities of deduction systems and the
computational power of computer algebra systems.

TOPICS 

Topics of interest for the symposium include all aspects related to the
combination of deduction systems and computer algebra systems. We
explicitly encourage submissions of results from applications and case
studies where such integration results are particularly important.

FORMAT

The symposium will feature invited talks, contributed presentations
with ample time for discussion, and a panel session.

Consistent with the tradition of the symposium as a lively forum for
discussing controversial ideas, we expect and encourage contributed
talks to present work in progress, rather than polished final results.

CONFERENCE LOCATION

CALCULEMUS 2000 will be held at St Andrews University, Scotland's
oldest university.  Visitors to St Andrews will discover a city full
of charm and historical interest, and golfers will be delighted by the
many famous and challenging golf courses in the area.  Travel
information can be found as
http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/issac2000/travel.shtml

INVITED SPEAKERS

- Henk Barendregt, U. Nijmegen, Mathematics and Computer Science
- Arjeh Cohen, Eindhoven University of Technology, Dept. Math. 
- Gaston Gonnet, ETH Z"urich, Institute for Scientific Computation

IMPORTANT DATES

Symposium:                       6-7 August 2000
ISSAC:                           7-9 August 2000
13. OpenMath Workshop:            10 August 2000

ORGANIZATION and PROGRAMME CHAIRS

 Manfred Kerber,   U. Birmingham,   <[email-masked]>
 Michael Kohlhase, U. Saarbr"ucken, <[email-masked]>

LOCAL ORGANIZER

 Steve Linton,     St. Andrews U.   <[email-masked]>

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

 Alessandro Armando, U. Genova
 Michael Beeson, San Jose State U.
 Manuel Bronstein, INRIA Sophia Antipolis
 Bruno Buchberger, RISC, Linz
 Jaques Calmet, U. Karlsruhe
 Olga Caprotti, TU. Eindhoven
 Edmund Clarke, CMU
 Fausto Giunchiglia, IRST
 Therese Hardin, Paris VI
 John Harrison, Intel Corp.
 Tudor Jebelean, RISC, Linz
 Helene Kirchner, Nancy LORIA/INRIA
 Deepak Kapur, U. New Mexico, Albuquerque
 Steve Linton, St. Andrews U.
 Ursula Martin, St. Andrews U.
 Julian Richardson, U. Edinburgh
 J"org Siekmann, U. Saarbr"ucken
 Carolyn Talcott, Stanford U.
 Andrzej Trybulec, U. Bialystok