Subject: categories: Tony-San

From: Peter Freyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:27:34 -0400 (EDT)

On 4 January I posted:

    The Queen's New Years Honours list announced a knighthood for
    C.A.R. Hoare (the first person to find an application for
    2-categories).

Today:

    The Chronicle of Higher Education
   
                                           Monday, June 26, 2000

Computer Scientist, Biologist, Philosopher Win Kyoto Prizes

   Japan's Inamori Foundation on Friday named a computer scientist, a
   biologist, and a philosopher as this year's winners of the Kyoto
   Prizes, which are awarded annually to honor individuals who contribute
   to the scientific, cultural, or spiritual betterment of society.
   
   The winners will receive a special certificate and 50-million yen
   (approximately $477,000) at a ceremony in Kyoto on November 10.
   
   The winners and their achievements cited by the foundation, are:
   
     * Sir Charles Antony Richard Hoare, a professor emeritus of computer
       science at the University of Oxford, in Britain, for "pioneering
       and fundamental contributions to software science."
     * Walter Jacob Gehring, a professor of developmental biology at the
       University of Basel, in Switzerland, for his "discovery of
       conserved developmental mechanisms."
     * Paul Ricoeur, a professor emeritus of philosophy at the University
       of Paris, in France, and at the University of Chicago, for "an
       imposing construct of hermeneutic phenomenology that embraces a
       new concept of ethics."