Subject: categories: Call for Papers: CATS 2001

From: CATS 01 Conference <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 17:36:05 +1000 (EST)

Call for Papers

        CATS 2001  -  Computing: The Australasian Theory Symposium

Computing: The Australasian Theory Symposium (CATS) is the premier
theoretical computer science conference in Australasia.  It is held
annually as part of Australasian Computer Science Week (ACSW).  CATS
2001 will be the seventh in the series.  The symposium will consist of
invited speakers and research paper presentations.

DATE AND LOCATION

CATS 2001 will be held over two days during Australasian Computer
Science Week.  ACSW 2001 will take place at Bond University, Gold
Coast, Queensland, Australia, from 29th January to 2nd February 2001.

SCOPE

CATS covers all aspects of theoretical computer science.  Some
representative, but not exclusive, topics include the following:
- logic, reasoning and verification
- formal specification techniques and program semantics
- formal development methods, program refinement, synthesis and
  transformation
- concurrent, parallel and distributed system theory
- theory of algorithms and data structures
- complexity and computability
- automata, number and category theory
- tools for automated reasoning, and program analysis and development

KEYNOTE ADDRESSES

Prof Mathai Joseph, Tata Research Development and Design Centre, Pune,
  India
Prof Carroll Morgan, Software Engineering Research Group, Department of
  Computer Science and Engineering, University of New South Wales

CALL FOR PAPERS

Research paper submissions to CATS 2001 should be prepared according
to the formatting requirements below and sent to the Programme Chair,
to arrive no later than August 4, 2000.  Submissions must be original
work, not published or submitted elsewhere.  All submissions will be
refereed.

PROCEEDINGS

The proceedings of CATS 2001 will be published by Elsevier Science in
their series Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science.  ENTCS
is an electronic series associated with the journal Theoretical
Computer Science, and published by Elsevier Science B. V.
(Institutions subscribing to TCS can access full papers in ENTCS
on-line.)  ENTCS offers rapid, worldwide dissemination of research
results, an absence of page limits, and long-term accessibility
through the electronic archives that Elsevier maintains.  (The
proceedings of last year's CATS 2000 conference appeared as ENTCS
Volume 31.)  A hardcopy preliminary proceedings will be provided to
conference attendees.

Authors of selected papers from the CATS 2001 proceedings will be
invited to submit extended versions of their papers to a Special Issue
of the journal Theoretical Computer Science.

FORMATTING REQUIREMENTS

To ensure a uniform format for papers, all submissions to CATS 2001
must be prepared in LaTeX using the ENTCS macros.  Papers in other
formats cannot be accepted.  Further information is available via the
ENTCS home page: http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/entcs/.  (Follow the
links for "Instructions for Submissions" and "Technical
Requirements".)  Complete papers should be e-mailed as PostScript
files, preferably as MIME attachments.

Although there is no strict page limit on submissions to CATS 2001,
authors are strongly encouraged to be as concise as possible.  Papers
between 10 and 15 pages are considered ideal.  If necessary,
definitions and proofs not essential to understanding the paper should
be relegated to appendices to appear only in the electronic version.

CALL FOR POSTERS

A poster session will be arranged to give CATS attendees the
opportunity to give informal presentations of their work.  Expressions
of interest, briefly outlining the poster's topic, should be e-mailed
to the Programme Chair by November 10, 2000.

IMPORTANT DATES

Friday 4 August 2000: Deadline for submissions
Friday 6 October 2000: Notification of acceptance
Friday 27 October 2000: Final versions of accepted papers due
Friday 10 November 2000: Deadline for author registrations
Monday 29 January to Friday 2 February 2001: Australasian Computer
  Science Week, incorporating CATS 2001

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

Mariangiola Dezani-Ciancaglini, Universita di Torino, Italy
Rod Downey, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Colin Fidge (Chair), The University of Queensland, Australia
Lance Fortnow, NEC Research Institute, USA
Joseph Goguen, University of California at San Diego, USA
Andrew Martin, Oxford University, United Kingdom
Ian Mason, University of New England, Australia
Janos Pach, New York University, USA
Igor Shparlinski, Macquarie University, Australia
Mark Utting, University of Waikato, New Zealand
Emo Welzl, ETH Zurich, Switzerland

ACSW GENERAL CHAIR

Gopal Gupta, Bond University

UPDATES AND NEWS

Up to date information about the CATS 2001 conference can be found at
its web site: http://www.csee.uq.edu.au/~cats01/

ENQUIRIES AND SUBMISSIONS

Dr Colin Fidge (CATS 2001 Programme Chair)
Software Verification Research Centre
The University of Queensland
Queensland 4072
Australia
Fax: +61 7 3365 1533
Email: [email-masked]