Subject: categories: FME 2001: Call for Papers

From: "Jose N. Oliveira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 18:56:56 +0100

FORMAL METHODS EUROPE

                                   FME 2001
            "Formal Methods for Increasing Software Productivity"

                   International Symposium and Tutorials

                           12-16 March 2001
                 Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Germany

              (http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/top/fme2001)

                           Call for Submissions
                           ********************

FME 2001 is the tenth in a series of symposia organised by Formal Methods
Europe, an independent association whose aim is to stimulate the use of,
and research on, formal methods for software development.  These symposia
have been notably successful in bringing together a community of users,
researchers, and developers of precise mathematical methods for software
development.

The theme of FME 2001 is Formal Methods for Increasing Software Productivity.
This theme recognizes that formal methods have the potential to do more for
industrial software development than enhance software quality--they can also
increase productivity at many different points in the software life-cycle.
The symposium committee is particularly interested in papers on the use of
formal methods to increase productivity, for example on:

 * Codifying domain knowledge
 * Re-using components
 * Automatically generating code and/or documentation
 * Improving the efficiency of software testing
 * Enhancing analysis techniques for validation and verification
 * Exploiting commonalities within product families
 * Improving the maintainability and modifiability of software
 * Empirical studies of effects on productivity

SCOPE

The scope of the symposium, as always in its distinguished history, also
includes all other aspects of the use of formal methods, for development
of software in all application areas.  The scope of the symposium covers
the entire range from fundamental theory of description and reasoning
to particulars of practice and experience.

In addition to presentations of submitted papers, the symposium will also
offer tutorials, workshops, invited speakers, and tool demonstrations.

PAPERS

The symposium committee solicits full-length papers in two broad categories:

1. Use of formal methods, including reports on industrial use, substantial
   case studies, comparisons among methods, education, and technology transfer.
2. Development of formal methods, including motivating factors, theoretical
   foundations, extensions, manual procedures, and tool support.

Authors are requested to mention the category (1 or 2) of their papers when
they submit.

Full papers should be submitted in Postscript or PDF format by E-mail to reach
[email-masked] by 25th August, 2000.

There are no fixed page limits on submissions but authors are warned that
papers exceeding twenty A4 pages will be regarded as long, and that the
content must justify the length.

TUTORIALS

Tutorials will be held on 12-13th March.  Each tutorial will last one-half or
one day.  Proposals for tutorials are welcome, and should be directed to
the programme chairs.

WORKSHOPS

Proposals for parallel workshops are welcome, and should be directed to
the programme chairs.

TOOL DEMONSTRATIONS

Tool demonstrations will take place during the symposium, with the
opportunity for presentations to be made about each tool. Proposals for
tool demonstrations are welcome and should be made to the organising chairs,
with whom provision of necessary computing facilities should be discussed.

PEOPLE

Organising Co-Chairs

   Stefan Jaehnichen
   Wolfgang Reisig

Organising Committee

   BWO Marketing Service
   Birgit Heene 
   Adrianna Foremniak
   Axel Martens

Programme Co-Chairs

   Jose Oliveira, Dept. Informatica, Universidade do Minho,
      Campus de Gualtar, 4700-320 Braga, Portugal
      Tel: +351 253 604 470
      E-mail: [email-masked]
      
   Pamela Zave, AT&T Laboratories, 180 Park Avenue, Florham Park,
      NJ 07932, USA
      Tel: +1 973 360 8676
      E-mail: [email-masked]

Programme Committee

   Eerke Boiten                 University of Kent at Canterbury
   Rick Butler                  NASA Langley Research Center
   Lars-Henrik Eriksson         Industrilogik L4i AB
   John Fitzgerald              Centre for Software Reliability, Newcastle, UK
   Peter Gorm Larsen            IFAD
   Yves Ledru                   Universite Joseph Fourier - Grenoble
   Dominique Mery               Universite Henri Poincare - Nancy
   Jayadev Misra                University of Texas at Austin
   Richard Moore                United Nations University IIST
   Friederike Nickl             F.A.S.T. GmbH
   Tobias Nipkow                Technische Universitaet Muenchen
   Jose Oliveira (co-chair)     Universidade do Minho
   Paritosh Pandya		TIFR Mumbai, India
   Nico Plat                    Cap Gemini
   Amir Pnueli			Weizmann Institute
   Augusto Sampaio              Universidade Federal de Pernambuco
   Steve Schneider              Royal Holloway, University of London
   Jim Woodcock			Oxford University
   Pamela Zave (co-chair)	AT&T Laboratories

IMPORTANT DATES

Deadline for submission of papers,
   tutorial proposals, and workshop
   proposals:                              25th August,   2000

Notification of acceptance/rejection:      17th November, 2000

Camera ready final version of papers due:   5th January,  2001