Subject: categories: FMCS2000

From: John MacDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 09:58:25 -0700 (PDT)

FMCS2000

Foundational Methods in Computer Science

JUNE 1st - 4th, 2000

The Department of Mathematics at the University of British Columbia, in
cooperation with the Pacific Institute of Mathematical Sciences, is
hosting the Foundational Methods in Computer Science workshop from
June 1 to June 4, 2000, on the University of British Columbia Campus
in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

The workshop is an informal meeting to bring together researchers in
mathematics and computer science with a focus on the applications of
category theory in computer science.

The reception in the evening of June 1, 2000, at Walter Gage Towers, is
followed by a day of tutorials aimed at students and newcomers to category
theory, followed by a day and a half of research talks. There will be a
few invited presentations, but the majority of the talks are solicited
from the participants. Student participation is particularly encouraged
at FMCS.

PARTICIPANT LIST (as of May 26, 2000)

Jeremy Bem, University of California, Berkeley  

David Benson, Washington State University 

Robin Cockett, University of Calgary 

Bridget Gilbride, University of British Columbia

Eraldo Giuli, University of L'Aquila, Italy 

Dana Harrington, University of Calgary 

John MacDonald, University of British Columbia 

Ernest Manes, University of Massachusetts at Amherst 

Stefan Milius, York University 

Philip Mulry, Colgate University 

James Otto, Illinois 

Cristina Pedicchio, University of Trieste 

Vaughan Pratt, Stanford University 

Robert Seely, McGill University 

Peter Selinger, University of Michigan 

Lebelo Serutla, National University of Lesotho 

Robert Schneck, University of California, Berkeley 

Manuela Sobral, University of Coimbra, Portugal 

Art Stone, Vancouver 

Walter Tholen, York University 

Varmo Vene, Estonia 

Min Zeng, University of Calgary 

AGENDA

Thursday, June 1, 2000

after 3:00p.m.   Gage residence rooms available for check-in

      6:00p.m.   Welcome Reception - Mary Murrin Lounge -Gage Residence

Friday, June 2, 2000

                 Tutorial Sessions - Room 216 - 1933 West Mall

 9:00-10:30a.m.  Ernie Manes - Monads of Sets: The Threefold Way

10:30-11:00a.m.  Break

11:00-12:30p.m.  Robin Cockett - Partial Map Categories, Partial
                 Map Classification and Restriction Categories

12:30-2:00p.m.   Lunch

 2:00-3:30p.m.   Peter Selinger - Categorical Models of Communication

 3:30-4:00p.m.   Break

 4:00-4:30p.m.   John MacDonald - Kleisli structures

 4:30-5:30p.m.   David Benson - Accessible Categories and Sketches

Saturday, June 3, 2000

 9:00-10:30a.m.  Vaughan Pratt - Modeling Higher Dimensional
                 Automata with Chu Spaces

10:30-11:00a.m.  Break

11:00-11:45a.m.  Robert Seely - The Logic of Finite Sums and Products

11:45-12:30p.m.  Walter Tholen - Exponentiability

12:30-2:00p.m.   Lunch

 2:00-2:30p.m.   Stefan Milius - TBA

 2:30-3:00p.m.   Varmo Vene - Mendler-style Recursion Schemes for
                 Inductive Types

 3:00-3:30p.m.   Lebelo Serutla - Automated Handling of Grammatically
                 Incorrect Sentences in MT

 3:30-4:00p.m.   Break
 
 4:00-4:30p.m.   Jeremy Bem -"Utopias", or Categories whose Codomain Fibration
                 is Small: Another Foundation for Mathematics?

 4:30-5:30p.m.   Philip Mulry - TBA

      6:30p.m.   Banquet - Ponderosa Bldg.

Sunday, June 4, 2000

 9:00- 9:30a.m.  Eraldo Giuli - Zariski Closure and Algebraic Objects

 9:30-10:00a.m.  Manuela Sobral - Reiterman-Tholen Maps for Finite
                 Topological Spaces

10:00-10:30a.m.  Robin Cockett - TBA

10:30-11:00a.m.  Break

11:00-11:30a.m.  Dana Harrington - TBA

11:30-12:00      James Otto - Abstract and Concrete Computation Categories

12:00-12:30p.m.  Ernie Manes - Submonads Determined by Shape

Further information about FMCS2000 may be obtained from the
conference website  at  http://www.pims.math.ca/science/2000/fmcs .

You may also obtain housing and registration forms by sending email
to [email-masked] with subject heading FMCS2000.

Those faculty, teachers and students from the local area with some
graduate level training in mathematics or computer science or with an 
interest in logic and foundations are encouraged to attend some or all 
of the talks. If you think you may attend any of the talks, then
please send email to [email-masked] so that we can estimate the 
number of those attending.