Subject: categories: announcement

From: Chikoidze <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 0 11:47:59 +0500

To whom it may concern,

Dear Sir,

Please, be so kind as to include the Announcement of the Tbilisi Summer
School in your e-mail list.

I hope, you will find all necessary information in the Announcement itself.

Best regards,
George Chikoidze

Contact Person
of the Centre on Language, Logic, Speech
at the Tbilisi State University
Address: Dpt. of Language Modelling
         Inst. of Control Systems
         Georgian Academy of Sciences
         34, Gamsakhurdia Av.
         380060 Tbilisi
         Georgia
         Phone: + 995 32 38 21 36
         Fax: + 995 32 94 23 91
         E-mail: [email-masked]

                           ANNOUNCEMENT

                      Tbilisi Summer School
                 in Language, Logic, and Computation

                   29th August - 8 September 2000
                        Tbilisi, Georgia

The Georgian Centre for Language, Logic, and Speech, based at the Tbilisi
State University, will host Tbilisi Summer School, the main purpose of which
is to make the students and young scholars acquainted with the modern state
of affairs in the mentioned fields of science, and - at the same time - to
further contacts and scientific collaboration between Western and Eastern
Scholars.

LECTURERS

Jurij Apresjan, Moscow
Matthias Baaz, Vienna
Pascal Boldini, Paris
Marina Glavinskaja, Moscow
Michel Parigot, Paris
Carl Vogel,Dublin
Andrej Voronkov, Manchester

COURSES
- Foundations of linguistic semantics (Ju.Apresjan)
- On the generalisation of proofs and calculations (M.Baaz)
- Type theories for semantics and cognition (P.Boldini)
- Semantics of aspect (M.Glavinskaja)
- Proofs as programs (M.Parigot)
- Cognitive constraints on linguistic theory. (C.Vogel)
- Logical foundations of deductive databases. (A.Voronkov).

SCHEDULE

Tuesday, August 29

12.00 - 13.00                   Opening of the School
18.00 -                         Banquet

Wednesday, August 30

10.00 - 13.00                   M. Parigot. Proofs as programs
13.00 - 14.00                   Lunch
14.00 - 17.00                   Ju. Apresjan. Foundations of linguistic
                                semantics

Thursday, August 31

10.00 - 13.00                   M. Parigot. Proofs as programs.
13.00 - 14.00                   Lunch
14.00 - 17.00                   Ju. Apresjan. Foundations of linguistic
                                semantics.

Friday, September 1

10.00 - 13.00                   M. Glavinskaja. Semantics of aspect.
13.00 - 14.00                   Lunch
14.00 - 17.00                   C. Vogel. Cognitive constraints on
                                linguistic theory.

Saturday, September 2   Recreation (sight-seeing in Tbilisi and environs,
Sunday, September 3               excursion).

Monday, September 4

10.00 - 13.00                   M. Glavinskaja. Semantics of aspect.
13.00 - 14.00                   Lunch
14.00 - 16.00                   C. Vogel. Cognitive constraints on linguistic
                                theory.

Tuesday, September 5

10.00 - 14.00                   A. Voronkov. Logical foundations of deductive
                                databases.
14.00 - 15.00                   Lunch
15.00 - 17.00                   C. Vogel. Cognitive constraints on linguistic
                                theory.

Wednesday, September 6

10.00 - 12.00                   A. Voronkov. Logical foundations of deductive
                                databases.
12.00 - 14.00                   M. Baaz. On the generalization of proofs and
                                calculations.
14.00 - 15.00                   Lunch
15.00 - 17.00                   P. Boldini. Type theories for semantics and
                                cognition.

Thursday, September 7

10.00 - 12.00                   M. Baaz. On the generalisation of proofs and
                                calculations.
12.00 - 14.00                   P. Boldini. Type theories for semantics and
                                cognition.
14.00 - 15.00                   Lunch

Friday, September 8

10.00 - 12.00                   M. Baaz. On the generalization of proofs and
                                calculations.
12.00 - 14.00                   P. Boldini. Type theories for semantics and
                                cognition.
14.00 - 15.00                   Lunch
15.00 - 16.00                   Closing of the School.
18.00                           Banquet

STUDENTS
Besides local students, the School also welcomes students from abroad.
The Participation fee for these students will be $120 (wich includes
excursion, banquet, reprints, etc.).Foreign students will be comfortably
accommodated with Georgian families (with two meals) for $40 per day.

LOCATION AND SIGHTSEEING TOURS

    Georgia is the ancient country situated between Black and Caspian seas,
the Caucasus  and Turkey. It is the country of the Golden Fleece, the myth of
Argonauts, Jason and Medea, and Prometheus, chained to the Caucasus mountains.
Tbilisi - capital of Georgia - has more than 1 million in habitant. It is
situated some 100-150 km to the south of main Caucasus ridge, in the
beautiful valley of the river Mtkvari, surrounded by the green slopes of the
Caucasus spurs. The city has a long (1500 year old) history and abounds in
historical and cultural memorials. Georgia is famous for its high quality
wines, exquisite cuisine and cordial hospitality.

The main site of the Symposium, Tbilisi State University, is the chief
centre of education in the country, and has several outstanding scholars
in science, art and politics among its graduates.

During the School there will be an excursion over the famous Georgian
Military Road, which leads us through the  ancient capital of Georgia -
Mtskheta, with its abundant architectural and historical monuments - and
which brings us across the main ridge of the Caucasus by the Cross Pass.
The destination of the envisaged trip is the  mountain resort Kazbegi
with its Trinity Church situated on the top of high peak facing the second
mountain (after Elbrus), the peak of the Caucasus - Mkinvarcveri
(Glacier - mountain).

 TRAVEL INFORMATION

Tbilisi can only be reached  by air. If there are no direct trip between your
point of departure and Tbilisi, the most convenient connections are via
Istambul, Frankfurt or Moscow.

ORGANISING COMMITTEE:
T.Khurodze (Chair, Pro-rector of Tbilisi State University)
R.Asatiani (Institute of Oriental Studies)
N.Chanishvili (Tbilisi State University)
G.Chikoidze (Institute of Control Systems)
K.Pkhakadze (Institute of Applied Mathematics)
Kh.Rukhaja (Institute of Applied Mathematics).

For additional information, please, use the following address:

George Chikoidze
Dept. of Language Modelling
Inst. of Control Systems
Georgian Academy of Sciences
34, K. Gamsakhurdia
380060 Tbilisi
Georgia
Phone: +9 9532 382136
E- mail: [email-masked]