Subject: categories: Lectureships in Computer Science

From: "Roy L. Crole" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 18:53:31 +0100 (BST)

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to announce three Lectureships in Computer Science, which
may be of interest to CATEGORIES and TYPES readers. 

Leicester has a research group working in Categories and Semantics
which includes Simon Ambler, Neil Ghani, Vincent Schmitt, Nobuko
Yoshida and myself.  Current research areas include Operational
Semantics, Mechanized Reasoning, Categorical Models of Programming
Languages including Concurrency, Categorical Term Rewriting, and
Enriched Category Theory.

These areas are directly or indirectly connected with the theory and
practice of categories and types.

Roy Crole.

--------------------- %< ----------------------------------------

UNIVERSITY OF LEICESTER

DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS & COMPUTER SCIENCE

Lecturer A in Computer Science (3 posts)
Available from 1 September 2000

Ref: A5365/GD

Applications are invited for three open-ended Lectureships in Computer
Science in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at the
University of Leicester.  There is no restriction regarding the area
of research and applicants with expertise in any area of Computer
Science are welcomed.  All three lectureships are tenable from 1
September 2000 or as soon as possible thereafter.

The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science is divided into
three groups: Computer Science, Pure Mathematics and Applied
Mathematics.  The Computer Science Group is firmly research oriented
and these lectureships are intended to strengthen the Group with
regard to both teaching and research.

The successful applicants will be ambitious, able to develop their own
research within a multi-faceted environment, and have a strong
research record and potential.  The new lecturers will be required to
teach at undergraduate and postgraduate level, and to perform
administrative duties as directed by the Head of Department.  This is
a superb opportunity for persons of energy, drive and ambition to
assume rewarding roles and to establish themselves in a young, dynamic
and rapidly developing department.  Initial salary, dependent upon
qualifications and experience, will be on the Lecturer Grade A scale
UKpounds 17,238 to UK pounds 22,579 p.a.

Candidates who are interested in the lectureships are invited, if they
so wish, to contact

   Professor Iain Stewart,
   Head of Department
   telephone (+44) (0)116 252 3885,
   e-mail [email-masked]

or

   Professor Rick Thomas,
   Deputy Head of Department
   telephone (+44) (0)116 252 3411,
   email [email-masked],

who will be pleased to discuss the Lectureships further.

Information about all aspects of the Department is available from its
World Wide Web pages [http://www.mcs.le.ac.uk].

Further particulars and application forms are available, by quoting
the reference A5365/GD, from

  Personnel Office,
  University of Leicester,
  University Road,
  Leicester LE1 7RH,
  U.K

  telephone (+44) (0)116 252 2439
  email [email-masked],

or via http://www.le.ac.uk/personnel/jobs

The closing date for applications is 16 June 2000.