Subject: categories: FMCS2000

From: John MacDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 13:21:59 -0700 (PDT)

FMCS2000

Foundational Methods in Computer Science

JUNE 1st - 4th, 2000

The Department of Mathematics at the University of British Columbia, in
cooperation with the Pacific Institute of Mathematical Sciences, is
hosting the Foundational Methods in Computer Science workshop from
June 1 to June 4, 2000, on the University of British Columbia Campus
in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

The workshop is an informal meeting to bring together researchers in
mathematics and computer science with a focus on the applications of
category theory in computer science.

The reception in the evening of June 1, 2000, at Walter Gage Towers, is
followed by a day of tutorials aimed at students and newcomers to category
theory, followed by a day and a half of research talks. There will be a
few invited presentations, but the majority of the talks are solicited
from the participants. Student participation is particularly encouraged
at FMCS.

PARTICIPANT LIST (as of May 1, 2000)

Jeremy Bem, University of California, Berkeley

David Benson, Washington State University

Robin Cockett, University of Calgary

Adam Eppendahl, Queen Mary and Westfield College, London

Hongge Gao, Northeastern University

Michael Johnson, Macquarie University, Sydney

John MacDonald, University of British Columbia

Ernest Manes, University of Massachusetts at Amherst

Stefan Milius, York University

Philip Mulry, Colgate University

Cristina Pedicchio, University of Trieste

Vaughan Pratt, Stanford University

Robert Schneck, University of California, Berkeley

Robert Seely, McGill University

Peter Selinger, University of Michigan

Lebelo Serutla, National University of Lesotho

Tim Sheard, Oregon Graduate Institute

Manuela Sobral, University of Coimbra, Portugal

Art Stone, Vancouver

Walter Tholen, York University

Varmo Vene, Estonia

Richard Wood, Dalhousie University

Please note that not all of the individuals on the participant list have
been confirmed.

There still are a few places on the program for research presentations
of 20 to 30 minutes. Reduced accommodation and registration rates are
available to graduate student participants.

Further information about FMCS2000 may be obtained from the
conference website  at  http://www.pims.math.ca/science/2000/fmcs .

You may also obtain housing and registration forms by sending email
to [email-masked] with subject heading FMCS2000.

If you are planning to attend (or might attend) the conference and your name
is not on the above list, then please let me know. That way I can keep track
of how many people will be attending and also keep you updated.

John MacDonald
Local organizer, FMCS2000