Subject: categories: MPC2000: call for participation

From: Jose Bernardo Barros <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 08:42:20 +0100 (WET)

[Apologies for any duplicates you may receive]

                         CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

                                MPC 2000

                     5th International Conference on

                   MATHEMATICS OF PROGRAM CONSTRUCTION
                   -----------------------------------
                     http://www.di.uminho.pt/mpc2000
            
                             3--5 July, 2000

                         Ponte de Lima, Portugal

Welcome to the Fifth International Conference on MATHEMATICS OF PROGRAM
CONSTRUCTION which will take place in Ponte de Lima, a little historical town
in the province of Minho, North of Portugal, in the first week of July 2000.

Detailed information including the conference's on-line registration form
is available from the above website.

                           INVITED SPEAKERS

Cliff Jones (Newcastle, UK)           Jan Rutten  (CWI, The Netherlands)
Mark Jones  (Oregon, USA)

                         CONFERENCE PROGRAMME

Monday July 3 2000

     8.50 - 9.00
          Welcome

     Session 1. Chair: Roland Backhouse (University of Nottingham)

     9.00 - 10.00
          Invited talk: Integrating Programming, Properties, and Validation 
          Mark Jones (Oregon Graduate Institute, USA)

     10.00 - 10.30
          Break

     Session 2. Chair: Johan Jeuring (Utrecht University)

     10.30 - 11.15
          Polytypic values possess polykinded types 
          Ralf Hinze (Institute für Informatik III, Universität Bonn)

     11.15 - 12.00
          The Zip Calculus 
          Mark Tullsen (Department of Computer Science, Yale University)

     12.00 - 14.00
          Lunch

     Session 3. Chair: Lindsay Groves (Victoria University of Wellington)

     14.00 - 14.45
          Separation and Reduction 
          Ernie Cohen (Telecordia Technologies)

     14.45 - 15.30
          Using Deadline Commands to Reason about Non-Terminating Loops
          
          Ian Hayes (Dept. of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering,
          The University of Queensland, Brisbane)

     15.30 - 16.00
          Break

     Session 4. Chair: Christian Lengauer (Universität Passau)

     16.00 - 16.45
          Quantum Programming 
          J. Sanders and P. Zuliani (PRG, Oxford University Computing
          Laboratory, Oxford)

     16.45-17.30
          «Hot topic » Session. Coordination: Richard Bird (Oxford
          University Computing Laboratory)

     18.00-19.30
          Reception at the Old Prision Tower

Tuesday July 4 2000

     Session 5. Chair: Lambert Meertens (Kestrel Institute, USA)

     9.00 - 10.00
          Invited talk: Regular Expressions Revisited: a Coinductive
          Approach to Streams, Automata, and Power Series 
          Jan Rutten (CWI, The Netherlands)

     10.00 - 10.30
          Break

     Session 6. Chair: Bernhard Möller (Universität Augsburg)

     10.30 - 11.15
          Pointer aliasing in Hoare Logic 
          Richard Bornat (Department of Computer Science, Queen Mary and
          Westfield College,University of London)

     11.15 - 12.00
          On Guarded Commands with Fair Choice 
          Emil Sekerinski (Department of Computing and Software, McMaster
          University, Hamilton, Ontario)

     12.00 - 14.00
          Lunch

     15.00-19.00
          Sight-seeing Tour

     19.30-
          Banquet at the Monastery of Refóios do Lima

Wednesday July 5 2000

     Session 7. Chair: J.N. Oliveira (Universidade do Minho)

     9.00 - 10.00
          Invited talk: Formal Methods and Dependability 
          Cliff Jones (University of Newcastle, UK)

     10.00 - 10.30
          Break

     Session 8. Chair: Oege de Moor (Oxford University Computing Laboratory)

     10.30 - 11.15
          Liberating Data Refinement 
          Eerke Boiten and John Derrick (Computing Laboratory, University
          of Kent, Canterbury)

     11.15 - 12.00
          Theorems about composition 
          Michel Charpentier (Computer Science Department, University of New
          Hampshire, Durham) and K. Mani Chandy (Computer Science
          Department, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena)

     12.00 - 14.00
          Lunch

     Session 9. Chair: Jeremy Gibbons (Oxford University Computing
     Laboratory)

     14.00 - 14.45
          The Universal Resolving Algorithm: Inverse Computation in a
          Functional Language 
          Sergei Abramov (Program Systems Institute, Russian Academy of
          Sciences) and Robert Glueck (Department of Information and
          Computer Science, Waseda University, Tokyo)

     14.45 - 15.30
          Metacomputation-based Compiler Architecture 
          William L. Harrison (Department of Computer Science, Indiana
          University, Bloomington) and Samuel N. Kamin (Department of
          Computer Science, University of Illinois, Urbana)

     15.30 - 16.00
          Break

     Session 10. Chair: Eugenio Moggi (DISI, Univ. di Genova)

     16.00 - 16.45
          A Meta Language for Programming with Bound Names Modulo Renaming
          (Preliminary Report) 
          Andrew M. Pitts (Cambridge University Computer Laboratory,
          Cambridge) and Murdoch J. Gabbay (Department of Pure Mathematics
          and Mathematical Statistics, Cambridge University)

     16.45-17.30
          «Hot topic » Session. Coordination: Richard Bird (Oxford
          University Computing Laboratory)

     17.30-
          Closing session

                           CO-LOCATED WORKSHOPS

Four workshops are taking place in the same week co-located with the
conference: CMPP 2000 - 2nd International Workshop on Constructive Methods
for Parallel Programming; WGP 2000 - 2nd International Workshop on Generic
Programming; DTP 2000 - International Workshop on Subtyping and Dependent
Types in Programming; and WAGA 2000 - 3rd International Workshop on
Attribute Grammars and their Applications.

                             REGISTRATION

Registration is available on-line from the conference website. For any
questions concerning the venue, accommodation, registration etc please get in
touch with Ms. Carla Oliveira ([email-masked]) or any member of the
Organizing Committee. 

                         ORGANIZING COMMITTEE 

P.R. Henriques ([email-masked]), L.S. Barbosa ([email-masked]), J.B. Barros
([email-masked])

                          PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

Roland Backhouse (cochair, UK)        Richard Bird (UK)
Eerke Boiten (UK)                     Dave Carrington (Australia)
Jules Desharnais (Canada)             Jose Fiadeiro (Portugal)
Jeremy Gibbons (UK)                   Lindsay Groves (New Zealand)
Zhenjiang Hu (Japan)		      John Hughes (Sweden)
Johan Jeuring (The Netherlands)       Burghard von Karger (Germany)
Dick Kieburtz (USA)                   Carlos Kloos (Spain)
K. Rustan M. Leino (USA)              Christian Lengauer (Germany)
Lambert Meertens (The Netherlands)    Sigurd Meldal (Norway)
Eugenio Moggi (Italy)                 Bernhard Moeller (Germany)
Oege de Moor (UK)                     Dave Naumann (USA)
Jose Oliveira (cochair, Portugal)     Kaisa Sere (Finland)
Mark Utting (New Zealand)             Phil Wadler (USA)

                        FURTHER INFORMATION

Please refer to the web page for further details.

           http://www.di.uminho.pt/mpc2000

Alternatively, email:  [email-masked]

or contact a member of the Organizing Committee.