Subject: categories: Position: Research (2) University of Potsdam, Germany

From: Torsten Schaub <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:10:13 +0100 (MET)

[Please forward the following to anybody who you think may be interested.
 Apologies if you have already seen this.]

=========================================================================

                      Two Research Positions Available
                                      
          Department of Informatics, University of Potsdam, Germany
                                      
   The Knowledge Representation and Reasoning Group at the University of
   Potsdam offers two research positions within the project ``Nonmonotonic
   inference systems for reasoning with conflictual rules''. Apart from
   the development and implementation of corresponding reasoning
   techniques, a particular emphasis lies on the integration of flexible
   conflict resolution mechanisms that are in turn applied to modeling
   conflictual knowledge bases found in linguistics.
   
   The project is part of the Research Group ``Conflictual rules'' (in
   German: Forschergruppe ``Konfligierende Regeln''), funded by the German
   Science Foundation (DFG). This research group offers an
   interdisciplinary context comprising adjacent research projects from
   Linguistics, Psychology, Physics, and Informatics.
   
   Applicants must hold a master's degree (Diplom, DEA, or equivalent) and
   should preferably have a PhD in Informatics/Computer Science or
   Mathematics, although a PhD project is also conceivable. A suitable
   candidate is expected to have good communication skills (though fluency
   in German is not required) and research experience in at least one
   area, relevant to logic-based knowledge representation and reasoning,
   eg. nonmonotonic reasoning, logic programming, automated deduction,
   argumentation systems, deductive databases, etc. However, highly
   motivated and academically strong applicants interested in getting into
   nonmonotonic reasoning/logic programming are also encouraged to apply.
   
   The positions are available immediately; they will be filled for a
   period of up to 24+12 months in the first instance, with a likely
   extension by three additional years. Salary is according to the German
   BAT scale (Bat-O IIa), depending on age and family status.
   
   Candidates should send a curriculum vitae, a list of publications,
   references, and a statement of research interests to:
   
       Prof. Torsten Schaub       phone (+49) 331 977 1163/1057
       Universität Potsdam        fax (+49) 331 977 1720
       Institut für Informatik    mail [email-masked]
       Am Neuen Palais 10         url http://www.cs.uni-potsdam.de/~torsten
       D-14469 Potsdam
                                      
   An hyperlinked version of this offer is available at
   http://www.cs.uni-potsdam.de/~torsten/jobs. If you need more
   information just give me a call or send me an email.
   
    Torsten Schaub
    2000-02-15
============================================================