Subject: categories: New PhD positions at Chalmers

From: "K. V. S. Prasad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 16:35:24 +0100 (MET)

Please pass on to interested students. Apologies for multiple copies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

New PhD Positions    (DEADLINE 1 March 2000! See "How to apply" below.)

Department of Computing Science,
Chalmers University of Technology and Göteborgs University,
Sweden

The Department has about 60 researchers, half being faculty members
and half PhD students. Our focus is on programming logic and type
theory, functional programming, formal methods, distributed and
concurrent systems, security, algorithms, and computational
linguistics, but research is not restricted to these topics.  For more
information, see www.cs.chalmers.se/Cs/Research.

PhD positions are for 5 years. There is no tuition fee. A PhD position
is a regular job with social benefits; the salary amounts to 16200 SEK
per month in the first year (the exact amount depends on teaching
duties, usually 20% of your time), which offers a higher standard of
living than for most PhD students elsewhere.

Knowledge of Swedish is not a prerequisite for application. English is
our working language for research. Both Swedish and English are used
in undergraduate courses.  Half of our researchers are native Swedes;
the rest come from more than 20 different countries.

Applicants must have an undergraduate degree in Computing Science or
in a related subject with a strong Computing Science component. You
may also apply if you expect to have such a degree by September 2000.
The School especially welcomes female applicants.

How to apply
------------

First, immediately register your intention to apply using the
electronic application form on the WWW at

  http://www.md.chalmers.se/Jobs/PhD/phd-00-en.thtml

The full application should give

  1 name, age, gender, nationality, post and email address, tel/fax no.
  2 transcripts of grades from your undergraduate degree(s); 
  3 a statement of research interests;
  4 some letters of recommendation from your teachers or employers;
  5 copies of any scientific papers you have written.

Send it (paper mail) to

  Section for Mathematics and Computer Science
  Chalmers University of Technology
  412 96 Gothenburg
  Sweden

to arrive by 1 March 2000.  You will know the result of your
application by 1 June 2000.

Formal papers might take time. Meanwhile, e-mail will do perfectly
well for the information content of your application. Send it to

   [email-masked]

This will be of particular help should you be unable to send in
complete information to the Section by 1 March.

---------------------------------------------------------------
K. V. S. Prasad                 e-mail: [email-masked]
Dir of Graduate Studies         URL: www.cs.chalmers.se
Dept. of Computing Science      Tel: 46-31-772 1021
Chalmers University           
412 96 Gothenburg, Sweden       Fax: 46-31-16 56 55