Subject: categories: Research scholarships available at Birmingham

From: Marta Z Kwiatkowska <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:51:31 GMT

Please bring this to the attention of potential applicants.
Apologies for duplicate mailing.

Thanks

Marta
_____

=========================================================================
                    
                        The University of Birmingham
                         School of Computer Science

                           Research scholarships
                                     in
                Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence

=========================================================================

The School of Computer Science has research strengths in the areas of
Theoretical Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive
Science, and Software Engineering.

The Theory of Computation group concentrates on the development of
logics and semantics for programming languages. The overall aim is to
provide intuitive conceptual tools for the everyday practice of
programming.  Within this framework, the activities range from abstract
mathematics to issues of implementation and software development.  For
an overview of past research activities of the group, including funded
research projects and publications, see the URL:
   http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/research.html
 
Current academic and research members of the Theory group are: 

   Dr Christoph Benzmueller
   Mr Carsten Fuhrman
   Dr Mateja Jamnik
   Professor Achim Jung
   Dr Manfred Kerber
   Dr Marta Kwiatkowska
   Dr Gethin Norman
   Professor Uday Reddy
   Dr Eike Ritter
   Dr Mark Ryan
   Dr Andrea Schalk  
   Dr Hayo Thielecke (from September 2000).  
   
There are also 11 PhD students associated with the group, of the total
of 40 in the School.  Possible topics for research include, but are not
restricted to:

   Software verification and model checking
   Verification of probabilistic systems (theory and implementation)
   Verification of probabilistic real-time systems
   Probabilistic and stochastic calculi    
   Semantics for concurrency
   Temporal and modal logics
   Domain theory
   Extensions to the relational database model (theory and implementation)
   Parametricity and foundations of data abstraction
   Type systems for imperative and OO programming
   Semantics and formal methods for OO programming   
   Continuations and control
   Categorical models of programming languages
   Linear logic, type theory and corresponding categorical semantics
   Linear abstract machines
   Category theory and games models
   Agent based mathematical reasoning
   Machine-assisted reasoning
   Diagrammatic reasoning
   Theorem proving and proof planning
	
Applicants must have or be about to gain at least an upper second class
honours degree or an overseas equivalent in Computer Science or a
related degree title.

Successful applicants will be offerred an opportunity to join The
Midlands Graduate School in the Foundations of Computing Science, a
recent initiative between the Universities of Birmingham, Leicester,
Nottingham and Warwick aiming to provide broader educational experience
for doctoral students.  For more information see URL:
   http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/MGS/

The School has a number of EPSRC Studentships, School Studentships and
Teaching Assistantships available to UK and European Union applicants.
School Studentships and Teaching Assistantships cover tuition fees and
maintenance for UK and European Union students.  EPSRC studentships do
not pay maintenance costs for non-UK students.

Further details of these studentships and also of studentships for
international students are given in:
   http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~pjh/prospectus/funding/research.html

The School's research student prospectus and application form are
available from:
   http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/studentinfo/form_mailer.html

Informal enquiries can be directed to any member of the group (see URL

   http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/system/auto-gen/staff.html
   http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk
   
for contact information), or *in the first instance* to 

   Marta Kwiatkowska    Email [email-masked]
                        Tel   +44 121 414 7264
			FAX   +44 121 414 4281
			
=========================================================================