Subject: categories: CFP: Computer Security Foundations Workshop

From: Andre Scedrov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 18:28:29 -0400 (EDT)

Call For Papers

           14th IEEE Computer Security Foundations Workshop

                        June 11-13, 2001

            Keltic Lodge, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada

Sponsored by the Technical Committee on Security and Privacy
of the IEEE Computer Society

This workshop series brings together researchers in computer science
to examine foundational issues in computer security. For background
information about the workshop, and an html version of this Call for
Papers, see the CSFW home page http://www.csl.sri.com/csfw/csfw14/

This year the workshop will be in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada.

We are interested both in new results in theories of computer security
and also in more exploratory presentations that examine open questions
and raise fundamental concerns about existing theories.  Both papers
and panel proposals are welcome.

Possible topics include, but are not limited to: 

access control       authentication        data and system integrity
database security    network security      distributed systems security
anonymity            intrusion detection   security for mobile computing
security protocols   security models       decidability issues
privacy              executable content    formal methods for security
information flow

The proceedings are published by the IEEE Computer Society and will be
available at the workshop.  Selected papers will be invited for
submission to the Journal of Computer Security.

Instructions for Participants 
-----------------------------

Submission is open to anyone.  Workshop attendance is limited to about
40 participants.  Submitted papers must not substantially overlap
papers that have been published or that are simultaneously submitted
to a journal or a conference with a proceedings.  Papers should be at
most 20 pages excluding the bibliography and well-marked appendices
(using 11-point font, single column format, and reasonable margins on
8.5"x11" paper), and at most 25 pages total.  The page limit will be
strictly adhered to.  Committee members are not required to read the
appendices, and so the paper should be intelligible without them.
Proposals for panels should be no longer than five pages in length and
should include possible panelists and an indication of which of those
panelists have confirmed participation.  

To submit a paper, send to [email-masked] a plain ASCII text
email containing the title and abstract of your paper, the authors'
names, email and postal addresses, phone and fax numbers, and
identification of the contact author.  To the same message, attach
your submission (as a MIME attachment) in PDF or portable postscript
format.  Do not send files formatted for word processing
packages (e.g., Microsoft Word or WordPerfect files).  

Submissions received after the submission deadline or failing to
conform to the guidelines above risk rejection without consideration
of their merits.  Where possible all further communications to authors
will be via email.  If for some reason you cannot conform to these
submission guidelines, please contact the program chair at 
[email-masked].

Important Dates
---------------

Submission deadline:          February 1, 2001 
Notification of acceptance:   March 16, 2001
Camera-ready papers:          April 5, 2001

Program Committee

Pierre Bieber, ONERA, France
Ed Clarke, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
Riccardo Focardi, University of Venice, Italy
Dieter Gollmann, Microsoft Research, UK
Li Gong, Sun Microsystems, USA
Carl Gunter, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Joshua Guttman, MITRE, USA
Gavin Lowe, Oxford University, UK
Teresa Lunt, Xerox PARC, USA
Fabio Martinelli, IAT-CNR, Italy
John McLean, Naval Research Laboratory, USA
Ravi Sandhu, George Mason University, USA
Andre Scedrov, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Steve Schneider (chair), Royal Holloway, University of London, UK
Rebecca Wright, AT&T Labs, USA

Workshop Location
-----------------

The workshop will be held at the Keltic Lodge in beautiful Cape
Breton, Nova Scotia.  Located on a narrow peninsula on the Atlantic
Ocean, the Lodge's comfortable rooms offer breathtaking views of the
rugged shore, vibrant in sunny days and majestic when shrouded in
mist.  Activities on the premises include tennis, swimming in the
heated pool, golf, and mountain biking.  The picturesque fishing
villages along the scenic Cabot Trail offer opportunities to get
acquainted with the local lifestyle and also to embark in such
activities as ocean swimming, whale watching, and sea kayaking.
Moose, bears and other wildlife are often seen while hiking and
camping in the surrounding Cape Breton Highlands National Park.  Cape
Breton also hosts the final home of Alexander Graham Bell and the
station from which Guglielmo Marconi transmitted the first recorded
East-bound radio signal across the Atlantic.

The Keltic Lodge is 4 hours by car from Halifax International Airport
along a magnificent drive.  There are direct flights between Halifax
and numerous European and American cities.  Sydney Regional Airport is
1 1/2 hours by car from the Keltic Lodge and has flights every 2 hours
to Halifax.  People attending LICS 2001 in Boston may also consider
the ferry between Portland, ME and Yarmouth, NS.  More travel
information can be found from the CSFW website.

For further information contact:

General Chair          

Iliano Cervesato
ITT Industries, Inc. - AES Division
2560 Huntington Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22303-1410
USA
+1-202-404-4909 
[email-masked]

Program Chair            

Steve Schneider
Department of Computer Science
Royal Holloway, University of London
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX
UK
+44 1784 443431
[email-masked]

Publications Chair

Jonathan Herzog
The MITRE Corporation 
202 Burlington Road
Bedford, MA 01730-1420
USA
+1-781-271-2907
[email-masked]