Subject: categories: Workshop on Issues in the Theory of Security (WITS '00)

From: Riccardo Focardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:59:59 +0100 (MET)

====================================================
                Apologies for multiple copies
        ====================================================

                          Call for Papers
                          ===============

                            Workshop on
               Issues in the Theory of Security (WITS '00)

                 University of Geneva, Switzerland
                           7,8 July 2000

           http://www.dsi.unive.it/IFIPWG1_7/wits2000.html
 
                     Co-located with ICALP '00,
                 the 27th International Colloquium
              on Automata, Languages, and Programming
                        (9 to 15 July 2000)
                   http://cuiwww.unige.ch/~icalp/

IMPORTANT DATES/DEADLINES:
   Submission of papers:              15  April 2000
   Notification of acceptance:        31  May   2000
   Workshop:                          7,8 July  2000

OVERALL TOPIC AND FORMAT OF WORKSHOP:
   The IFIP WG 1.7 on "Theoretical Foundations of Security Analysis and
   Design" has been recently established to investigate the theoretical
   foundations of security, discovering and promoting new areas of
   application of theoretical techniques in computer security and supporting
   the systematic use of formal techniques in the development of security
   related applications.  The members of WG will hold their annual workshop
   as an open event to which all researchers working on the theory of
   computer security are invited.
   The program will encourage discussions by all attendees, both during and
   after scheduled presentations on participants' ongoing work.  Extended
   abstracts of work presented at the Workshop will be collected and
   distributed to the participants; no proceedings are foreseen for this
   year's workshop.

POSSIBLE TOPICS FOR SUBMITTED PAPERS:
   Researchers are invited to submit abstracts of original work on topics in
   the spirit of the workshop.  Possible topics for submitted papers
   include, but are not limited to:
   - formal definition and verification of the various aspects of security:
     confidentiality, integrity, authentication and availability;
   - new theoretically-based techniques for the formal analysis and design
     of cryptographic protocols and their manifold applications (e.g.,
     electronic commerce);
   - information flow modelling and its application to the theory of
     confidentiality policies, composition of systems, and covert channel
     analysis;
   - formal techniques for the analysis and verification of mobile code;
   - formal analysis and design for prevention of denial of service.

ORGANISING COMMITTEE:
   Pierpaolo Degano (chair)    (Universita` di Pisa, I)
   Riccardo Focardi            (Universita` di Venezia, I)
   Cathy Meadows               (Naval Research Laboratory, USA)
   Paul Syverson               (Naval Research Laboratory, USA)
   Joshua Guttman              (Mitre, USA)

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:
   Authors are invited to submit an extended abstract, 1-2 pages long,
   through the web.
   Instructions for electronic submissions can be found at the Workshop home
   page.
   Alternatively, they may e_mail a .ps file, or may mail a single copy of
   their paper to the program chair; in the last case, please allow ample
   time for delivery.
   Submissions should have the author's full name, address, fax number,
   e-mail address.
 
VENUE:
   The workshop is co-located with the ICALP '00 conference, which will be
   held at the University of Geneva.  Accommodations at a special ICALP rate
   have been reserved in a couple of hotels and very inexpensive rooms will
   be available at the Student Housing.  Lunch will be served daily on
   campus and there will be morning and afternoon refreshment breaks. For
   more details see the ICALP '00 web address given above.

CONTACT INFORMATION:
   Web:                    http://www.dsi.unive.it/IFIPWG1_7/wits2000.html
   Program chair:          Pierpaolo Degano
     e-mail:               [email-masked]
     telephone:            +39 050 887257
     fax:                  +39 050 887226
     postal:               Dipartimento di Informatica
                           Universita' degli Studi di Pisa
                           Corso Italia, 40
                           I-56125 PISA, Italia