Subject: categories: Call for Papers: Linz2000

From: Larry Stout <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:05:24 -0600

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Papers:

                 Linz2000
Mathematical Aspects of Non-Classical Logics
          and Fuzzy Inference

To be held at Bildungszentrum St. Magdalena, Linz, Austria
June 13-18, 2000
Sponsored by: FLLL Fuzzy Logic Laboratorium Linz - Hagenberg

------SHORT DESCRIPTION OF SEMINAR PURPOSE/MISSION-------

Since their inception in 1979 the Linz Seminars on Fuzzy Sets have
emphasized the development of mathematical aspects of fuzzy sets by
bringing together researchers in fuzzy sets and established mathematicians
whose work outside the fuzzy setting can provide direction for further
research. The seminar is deliberately kept small and initimate so that
informal critical discussion remains central. There are no parallel
sessions and during the week there are several round tables to discuss
open problems and promising directions for further work. Linz2000 will be
the 21st seminar carrying on this tradition.

Linz2000 will deal with Mathematical Aspects of Non-classical Logics and
Fuzzy Inference. It is the hope of the organizers that the talks will
provide a mathematical setting for both the theory and the practice of
logical means of dealing with inference under uncertainty, limited
resources, modalities of place, time, and state of knowledge.

This Seminar will consider, but not be limited to, the following topics
in logic: 
1. Categorical Logic 
2. Logic of cognition 
3. Fuzzy Inference 
4. Modal Logics 
5. Many Valued Logics 
6. Logics taking into account time, place, vagueness, and limited
resources

The total number of participants is usually bounded above by 40 with broad
international representation and a mix of pure and applied interests.
Invited talks are usually allowed an hour and a half and contributed talks
45 minutes. There are no parallel sessions. The Seminar will feature ample
time for discussion of each presentation, a fundamental aspect of the Linz
tradition. The schedule allows for daily round tables for discussion of
open problems and issues raised by the day's talks.

If you are interested in giving a contributed talk, please submit an
abstract of no more than 650 words to the Program Chair, Lawrence Stout. 
The deadline for all submissions is 15 February 2000; and you should
be notified no later than 15 April, 2000 concerning acceptance of your
presentation into the Seminar.

It is preferred that your submission be made by e-mail, in which case
it is also preferred that this submission be a LaTeX 2e (or 2.09) file
in ASCII: please, no zipped files. The subject line for such an e-mail
should include the phrase 
        Linz2000 Seminar
and it should be addressed to
        [email-masked]

It would also be helpful if your submission included your snail-mail
address, fax number, and any additional e-mail addresses or phone numbers
that you deem helpful.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Lawrence N. Stout, Bloomington (IL, USA) - Chairman
Dan Butnariu, Haifa (Israel)
Didier Dubois, Toulouse (France)
Lluis Godo, Barcelona (Spain)
Siegfried Gottwald, Leipzig (Germany)
Ulrich Ho"hle, Wuppertal (Germany)
Erich Peter Klement, Linz (Austria)
Wesley Kotze';, Grahamstown (South Africa)
Radko Mesiar, Bratislava (Slovakia)
Daniele Mundici, Milano (Italy)
Endre Pap, Novi Sad (Yugoslavia)
Stephen E. Rodabaugh, Youngstown (OH, USA)
Marc Roubens, Li&egrave;ge (Belgium)
Aldo Ventre, Napoli (Italy)
Siegfried Weber, Mainz (Germany)

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Erich Peter Klement
Ulrich Ho"hle
Stephen E. Rodabaugh
Siegfried Weber

-- 
Lawrence Neff Stout
Professor of Mathematics
Illinois Wesleyan University
http://www.iwu.edu/~lstout