Subject: categories: FMOODS'2000 cfp

From: Carolyn Talcott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 14:55:25 -0800 (PST)

The usual apologies for multiple copies
==============================================================================

                               Call for Papers

                                 FMOODS 2000

              IFIP TC6/WG6.1 Fourth International Conference on

          Formal Methods for Open Object-Based Distributed Systems

              Stanford University , Stanford, California, USA
                             September 6-8, 2000

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electronic Information

   * The conference home page is found at http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fmds2000
   * Conference-related email should be addressed to
     [email-masked]
   * Information on the FMOODS series of conferences can be found at
     http://www.cs.ukc.ac.uk/research/netdist/fmoods

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Dates

 1st March 2000 Submission deadline
 30th April 2000Notification of acceptance
 23rd May 2000  Camera ready copy for participants proceedings due

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-located with SPIN'2000, 7th International SPIN Workshop on
Model Checking of Software, to be held at Stanford the previous week
August 30-31, September 1. See:
http://ase.arc.nasa.gov/spin2000

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Objectives

Object-based Distributed Computing is being established as the most
pertinent basis for the support of large, heterogeneous computing and
telecommunications systems. Indeed, several important international
organisations, such as ITU, ISO, OMG, TINA-C, etc. are defining similar
distributed object-based frameworks as a foundation for open distributed
computing.

The advent of Open Object-based Distributed Systems - OODS - brings new
challenges and opportunities for the use and development of formal methods.
New architectures and system models are emerging (e.g., the enterprise,
information, computational and engineering viewpoints of the ITU-T/ISO/IEC
ODP Reference Model) which require formal notational support. Usual design
issues such as specification, verification, refinement, and testing need to
take into account new dimensions introduced by distribution and openness,
such as quality of service and dependability constraints, dynamic binding
and reconfiguration, consistency between multiple models and viewpoints,
etc. OODS is a challenging research context and a source of motivation for
semantical models of object-based systems and notations, for the evolution
of standardised formal description techniques, for the application and
assessment of logic based approaches, for better understanding and
information modeling of business requirements, and for the further
development and use of Object Oriented methodologies and tools.

The objective of FMOODS is to provide an integrated forum for the
presentation of research in several related fields, and the exchange of
ideas and experiences in the topics concerned with the formal methods
support for Open Object-based Distributed Systems.

Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

   * formal models for object-based distributed computing
   * semantics of object-based distributed systems and programming languages
   * formal techniques in object-based and object-oriented specification,
     analysis and design
   * refinement and transformation of specifications
   * types, service types and subtyping
   * interoperability and composability of distributed services
   * object-based coordination languages
   * object-based mobile languages
   * efficient analysis techniques of specifications
   * multiple viewpoint modelling and consistency between different models
   * formal techniques in distributed systems verification and testing
   * specification, verification and testing of quality of service
     constraints
   * formal methods and object life cycle
   * beyond IDL: semantics based specification patterns
   * formal models for measuring the quality of object-oriented requirement
     or design specifications
   * formal aspects of distributed real-time multimedia systems
   * applications to telecommunications and related areas

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Invited Speakers:

  Jose Meseguer, SRI International

  and others to be announced

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conference Organizers

 Carolyn Talcott(Chair)              Scott Smith(PC Chair)
 Tel: + 650 723-0936                 Tel: + 410 516-5299
 Fax: + 650 725-7411                 Fax: + 410 516-6134
 Stanford University                 The Johns Hopkins University
 Stanford, CA, USA                   Balimore, MD, USA
 [email-masked]                 [email-masked]

 Nalini Venkatasubramanian           Sriram Sankar
 Tel: + 949 824-5898                 Tel: + 510 796-0915
 Fax: + 949 824-4056                 Fax:+ 510 796-0916
 University of California at Irvine  Metamata Inc.
 Irvine, CA, USA                     Fremont, CA, USA
 [email-masked]                  [email-masked]

Program Committee

   * Gul Agha (U. of Illinois, USA)
   * Patrick Bellot (ENST, Paris, France)
   * Lynne Blair (U. Lancaster, UK)
   * Howard Bowman (UKC, Kent, UK)
   * Paolo Ciancarini (U. Bologna, Italy)
   * John Derrick (UKC, Kent, UK)
   * Michel Diaz (LAAS-CNRS, Toulouse, France)
   * Alessandro Fantechi (U. Firenze, Italy)
   * Kathleen Fisher (ATT Research Labs, USA)
   * Kokichi Futatsugi (Jaist, Ishikawa, Japan)
   * Joseph Goguen (UC San Diego, USA)
   * Roberto Gorrieri (U. Bologna, Italy)
   * Guy Leduc (U. of Liege, Belgium)
   * Luigi Logrippo (U of Ottawa, Canada)
   * David Luckham (Stanford University, USA)
   * Jan de Meer (GMD Fokus, Berlin, Germany)
   * Elie Najm (ENST, Paris, France)
   * Dusko Pavlovic (Kestrel Institute, USA)
   * Omar Rafiq (U. of Pau, France)
   * Arend Rensink (U. Twente, Netherlands)
   * Sriram Sankar (Metamata Inc., USA)
   * Gerd Schuermann (GMD Fokus, Berlin, Germany)
   * Scott Smith (Johns Hopkins University, USA)
   * Jean-Bernard Stefani (FT/CNET, Issy-les-Moulineaux, France)
   * Carolyn Talcott (Stanford University, USA)
   * Nalini Venkatasubramanian (UC Irvine, USA)

Sponsors - IFIP

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evaluation and Publication of Submitted Papers

Submitted manuscripts will be evaluated and selected for presentation in the
conference. The proceedings of FMOODS '00 will be published by Kluwer, the
publishers of IFIP events. The proceedings will be made available at the
conference.

Instructions to the Authors

Authors are invited to submit full original research papers, up to 16 pages
(including bibliography), 12 point, single spaced, including an informative
abstract, names and affiliations of all authors, and a list of keywords
facilitating the assignment of papers to referees.

Submission

Paper submissions will be electronic via the web. Papers must be submitted
as postscript documents that are interpretable by Ghostscript. Details on
the submission process are to be found at http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fmds2000.
The package for electronic submission of papers will be available
approximately one month before the submission deadline.

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------