Subject: categories: two research positions

From: Barry Jay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 12:24:54 +1100 (EST)

** apologies for multiple postings **

University of Technology, Sydney
School of Computing Sciences
________________________________________________________

Two Research Positions
________________________________________________________

We have recently been awarded a 3-year grant from the Australian
Research Council for our project 

	Shape-based programming: sharpening the tools

This project will develop a new programming language, FISh2 which
combines the expressive power of functorial polymorphism as developed
in Functorial ML with the efficient execution based on shape analysis,
as developed in FISh1. FISh2 will support both functional and
imperative programming styles across a wide range of data
types. 

A key application area is high-performance computing, where high
expressivity and performance are both key issues. A second goal is to
develop a specialised version of FISh, called GoldFISh, which supports
a shape-based cost model that is able to predict performance across a
wide range of parallel architectures. 

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
----------------------------

The postdoctoral research fellow will take a key role in the
implementation of FISh2. This will require broad understanding of
typed programming languages, the ability to convert high-level
language designs, often expressed in formal logical notation, into
implementations written in both functional and imperative styles. They
must be willing to learn the principles of shape theory.

A doctorate in a relevant branch of computer science or mathematics is
essential, as is the demonstrated ability in at least one of the areas
of compiler construction, semantics of programming languages or
parallel programming. Knowledge of some of type theory, term
rewriting, functional programming, skeletons or data distribution
strategies is desirable.

The applicant must have personal skills adequate to work in a small
team with both senior and junior colleagues, and written communication
skills appropriate for producing clearly documented code, user
documentation, material suitable for the web-site, and formal papers
for refereed publication.

The position is full-time for three years at a salary of Australian
$43,254 - $55,418 p.a. beginning early in 2000. 

Research Assistant Grade 2
--------------------------

The second assistant will develop most of the benchmarking programs
necessary to establish that FISh2 and GoldFISh have the properties we
claim for them. This will require the ability to learn novel, and
unstable programming languages without adequate documentation. They
must be able to give informal feedback on the usability of the
language. They must understand the basic principles of parallel
programming. They must use these languages to encode applications from
science and engineering, and perform tests to capture execution
properties. They must be willing to assist in other duties, such as
web-site maintenance, as required. They will be set weekly goals, and
expected to seek help actively when necessary.

A first degree in a relevant branch of computer science is essential,
as is some knowledge of functional programming, the use of types in
programming, and principles of program testing and
benchmarking. Experience in system development is desirable.

Both Positions
---------------

Address initial enquiries to 
Associate Professor Barry Jay, 
Phone: (612) 9514 1814 
E-mail: [email-masked]

Applications should address the selection criteria available from the
School of Computing Sciences web site on
http://www.socs.uts.edu.au/posvacant/ or from Recruitment on (612)
9514 1087 and list name, address, phone and fax numbers and email
addresses of three referees, and quote the appropriate Reference
Number above.

Applications should be forwarded by 15th February, 2000 to:
THE RECRUITMENT OFFICER,
UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, SYDNEY
PO BOX 123,  BROADWAY,  NSW 2007

Interviews will be conducted in early March, 2000.
Equal Employment Opportunity is University policy.

UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, SYDNEY
POSITION DESCRIPTION

Research Assistant, Grade 7-8

Incumbent:	Date:  18/11/99

Reports to:  C.B. Jay	Written by:  C.B. Jay

Faculty:  Maths and Computing Sciences

School:   Computing Sciences

Location:  City, Building 4, 5th floor

Approvals:	Position:

1: J Edwards: _____________	Head of School, Computing Sciences

2:   G McLelland: _______________	Acting Dean, Faculty of Maths &
Computing Sc

3:   ____________________	____________________________

________________________________________________________

ACCOUNTABILITY OBJECTIVE

The research assistant is responsible for supporting A/Prof C.B. Jay
and Dr G. Keller in achieving the goals of their ARC large grant
(2000-2002) "Shape-based programming: sharpening the tools". 

DIMENSIONS

$ value of grant:  $56,000 - 60,000 p.a. 

Period of grant:   3 years

No. of staff:     1

NATURE AND SCOPE

The University's mission is to produce the highest quality education for
the professions at both undergraduate and postgraduate level and to carry
out research and consultancy of relevance to industry and business.

The University is spread over four campuses in the Sydney metropolitan
area.  Approximately 22,000 students are enrolled in the University's ten
faculties, which offer a broad spectrum of undergraduate, postgraduate and
continuing professional education programs.  The administrative and
academic support functions of the University are undertaken by five
divisions.

The University employs approximately 1100 support staff and 1150 academic
permanent and fixed term staff,  plus approximately 800 casual academic
staff.

The University also has interest in two companies - Insearch Limited and
the Sydney Education Broadcasting Limited  and has several associated
research and technology centres.

The School of Computing Sciences sits within the Faculty of Maths and
Computing Sciences.  It has a well established research history and is very
active in a range of research areas with a number of research support staff
and doctoral students.  This research position would support activities in
the Information Systems section of the School.  This area researches and
teaches the informational, human and organisational aspects of computing.
The area is well situated in terms of its interest and expertise in the
areas of the management of information systems change and the use of
qualitative research methods in information systems research.

ACCOUNTABILITY RELATIONSHIP

The research assistant will report to A/Prof C.B. Jay.

MAJOR TASKS:

 - A major role in constructing compilers for the programming
	languages FISh2 and GoldFISh, their testing and optimisation.
 - documentation of their work in a form suitable for external
	distribution
 - support for the FISh web-site
 - participate in project meetings and 
	actively engage with other project members. 

CONSTRAINTS

The incumbent in consultation with the Principal Researcher determines
research strategies and priorities. 

CHALLENGES

The incumbent must be able to produce high quality implementations of
designs which incorporate cutting edge ideas that are not completely
fixed. 

 RELATIONSHIPS

The Research Assistant Level 7-8 will liaise on most days with other
research team members to ensure the progress of the research, to
discuss results obtained, improvements to techniques and future work.

The incumbent will be expected to liaise with external users of our
prototypes.

PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES

Produces working implementations as required. 

Contributes to the production of publishable research papers.

UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, SYDNEY
POSITION DESCRIPTION

Research Assistant, Grade 2

Incumbent:	Date:  18/11/99

Reports to:  C.B. Jay	Written by:  C.B. Jay

Faculty:  Maths and Computing Sciences

School:   Computing Sciences

Location:  City, Building 4, 5th floor

Approvals:	Position:

1: J Edwards: _____________	Head of School, Computing Sciences

2:   G McLelland: _______________	Acting Dean, Faculty of Maths &
Computing Sc

3:   ____________________	____________________________

________________________________________________________

ACCOUNTABILITY OBJECTIVE

The research assistant is responsible for supporting A/Prof C.B. Jay
and Dr G. Keller in achieving the goals of their ARC large grant
(2000-2002) "Shape-based programming: sharpening the tools". 

DIMENSIONS

$ value of grant:  $57,000

Period of grant:   1 years

No. of staff:     1

NATURE AND SCOPE

ACCOUNTABILITY RELATIONSHIP

The research assistant will report to A/Prof C.B. Jay.

MAJOR TASKS:

 - Development and execution of benchmark programs for our new
programming languages FISh2 and GoldFISh. 
 - documentation of their work in a form suitable for external
	distribution
 - support for the FISh web-site
 - participate in project meetings and 
	actively engage with other project members. 

CONSTRAINTS

The incumbent in consultation with the Principal Researcher determines
research strategies and priorities. 

CHALLENGES

The incumbent must be able to master novel programming techniques
which have never been used in large programs before. 

 RELATIONSHIPS

The Research Assistant Level 5-6 will liaise on most days with other
research team members to ensure the progress of the research, to
discuss results obtained, improvements to techniques and future work.

The incumbent will be expected to liaise with external users of our
prototypes.

PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES

Produces working programs, and test results as required. 

Contributes to the production of publishable research papers.

Maintains the FISh web-site.