Subject: categories: FMOODS 2000 Preliminary Call for Papers

From: Carolyn Talcott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:53:25 -0700 (PDT)

Preliminary Call for Papers

                     Fourth IFIP International conference 
				     on
	  Formal Methods for Open Object-based Distributed Systems

				FMOODS'2000

                Stanford California, USA, 4th-6th September, 2000

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Objectives

Object-based Distributed Computing is being established as the most
pertinent basis for the support of large, heterogeneous computing and
telecommunications systems. Indeed, several important international
organisations, such as ITU, ISO, OMG, TINA-C, etc. are defining similar
distributed object-based frameworks as a foundation for open distributed
computing.

The advent of Open Object-based Distributed Systems - OODS - brings new
challenges and opportunities for the use and development of formal methods.
New architectures and system models are emerging (e.g., the enterprise,
information, computational and engineering viewpoints of the ITU-T/ISO/IEC
ODP Reference Model) which require formal notational support. Usual design
issues such as specification, verification, refinement, and testing need to
take into account new dimensions introduced by distribution and openness,
such as quality of service and dependability constraints, dynamic binding
and reconfiguration, consistency between multiple models and viewpoints,
etc. OODS is a challenging research context and a source of motivation for
semantical models of object-based systems and notations, for the evolution
of standardised formal description techniques, for the application and
assessment of logic based approaches, for better understanding and
information modeling of business requirements, and for the further
development and use of Object Oriented methodologies and tools.

The objective of FMOODS is to provide an integrated forum for the
presentation of research in several related fields, and the exchange of
ideas and experiences in the topics concerned with the formal methods
support for Open Object-based Distributed Systems.

Topics

Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

   * formal models for object-based distributed computing
   * semantics of object-based distributed systems and programming languages
   * formal techniques in object-based and object-oriented specification,
     analysis and design
   * refinement and transformation of specifications
   * types, service types and subtyping
   * interoperability and composability of distributed services
   * object-based coordination languages
   * object-based mobile languages
   * efficient analysis techniques of specifications
   * multiple viewpoint modelling and consistency between different models
   * formal techniques in distributed systems verification and testing
   * specification, verification and testing of quality of service constraints
   * formal methods and object life cycle
   * beyond IDL: semantics based specification patterns
   * formal models for measuring the quality of object-oriented
     requirement or design specifications
   * formal aspects of distributed real-time multimedia systems
   * applications to telecommunications and related areas

Sponsors - IFIP

Conference Organizers

  Carolyn Talcott, General Chair
  Stanford University
  [email-masked]

  Sriram Sankar
  Metamata Inc.
  [email-masked]

  Scott Smith (Pc co-chair)
  Johns Hopkins University
  [email-masked]  

  Nalini Venkatasubramanian 
  University of California, Irvine
  [email-masked]

Evaluation and Publication of Submitted Papers

Submitted manuscripts will be evaluated and selected for presentation in the
conference. The proceedings of FMOODS 2000 will be published by Kluwer
who are the publishers of IFIP events. The proceedings will be made
available at the conference. 

Instructions to the Authors

Authors are invited to submit full original research papers, up to 16 pages
(including bibliography), 12 point, single spaced, including an informative
abstract, names and affiliations of all authors, and a list of keywords
facilitating the assignment of papers to referees.

Important Dates

  1st March 2000   Submission deadline 
 30th April 2000   Notification of acceptance
 23rd May   2000   Camera ready copy for participants proceedings due

Submission Procedure Information: to appear