Subject: categories: Generalized Subfunctors

From: "Robert W. McGrail" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 15:51:03 -0400

Dear Categorists,

I wish to label the following notion of (for lack of a better term)
"generalized subfunctor" of a functor H: J ---> C in a manner that is
consistent with the categorical community.  What I call a "generalized
subfunctor" of F is a category D, a pair of functors F: C --->D and G: J
---> D, and a monic natural transformation m: G ---> FoH.  My motivation
is to formulate the notion of "generically creating a generalized
subfunctor" to such a functor H.

Is there some standard alternative to the overloaded term
"generalized"?  By the way, I am somewhat interested in the case where H
sends certain J-spans to product diagrams in C, so sketch-theoretic
ideas are certainly welcome.

--
Best Regards,
  Bob McGrail

****************************************************

By virtue knowledge

****************************************************
Bard College
Division of Natural Science and Mathematics
P.O. Box 5000
Annandale-on-Hudson, NY 12504
(914)758-7265

[email-masked]
http://inside.bard.edu/~mcgrail