Subject: categories: Category theory for Mathematica -> HPF

From: Anton Antonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 16:21:32 +0200

Hi,
Recently I presented in the Hewlett Packard conference  HiPer'99  the
paper
    "Translating Mathematica expressions to High Performance Fortran"
with the following abstract:

This paper introduces some ideas for translating the functional language
Mathematica to the data-parallel language High Performance Fortran
(HPF). It first discusses why we have the ability to do that. Then it
gives some interpretations by Category Theory. Third the translating
approach is presented for different Mathematica expressions that could
be interpreted as specifications for parallel independence, reduction,
task parallelism and
subprogram's data mapping. Last is shown a simple executable program
generated by the translator.

You can find more about that on
http://www.imm.dtu.dk./~aaa/MathematicaToHPF.html   .

I am glad that Category theory exists! With it I was able to express
that Functional, Object-oriented and Parallel programing are the same
kind of management.

Regards
Anton