Subject: categories: PROBMIV'99: Call for Participation

From: Marta Z Kwiatkowska <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 17:19:47 +0100 (BST)

[Please circulate this to anyone interested.  Apologies for multiple 
copies.]

_________________________________________________________________________

                       CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

                             PROBMIV'99     

  2nd International Workshop on Probabilistic Methods in Verification

                  http://fmt.cs.utwente.nl/probmiv99/ 

                       a satellite to CONCUR'99
 
                       Eindhoven, 23rd Aug 1999 
           (to coincide with EXPRESS'99, another satellite)

>>>>>>>>>>>EARLY REGISTRATION FOR CONCUR ENDS 1st JULY<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
_________________________________________________________________________

SCOPE OF THE WORKSHOP 
  
  Probability inherently features in software and hardware systems,
  either as a means to derive efficient solutions (e.g. randomization),
  or as a result of unreliable or unpredictable behaviour (e.g.
  fault-tolerant systems, computer networks, etc).  *Probabilistic
  verification* encompasses a range of theoretical, algorithmic and
  programming methods that assist in establishing the correctness of
  probabilistic systems against specifications.  Typically this involves
  calculating the probability bounds for a temporal logic formula being
  satisfied, based on an appropriate probability space on computations,
  but also includes properties such as cost analysis and long-run
  average.  Additionally, probabilistic verification can provide
  guarantees the specifications hold with satisfactory probability in
  cases when conventional model checking is not feasible.

  The idea of this workshop is to bring together researchers that apply
  probabilistic methods across the whole spectrum of verification. The
  meeting aims to enable cross-fertilisation of ideas and techniques
  between areas that are usually not in regular contact through
  conferences, from semantics, probability theory, performance analysis
  and computational linear algebra, through randomized algorithms,
  probabilistic  logics, model checking, abstract interpretation, to
  practical experimental work, tools and applications.

  This is the second workshop of this kind.  The first meeting,
  PROBMIV'98 was held in 1998 as a satellite to LICS.  In 1999, the
  workshop takes place as a satellite to CONCUR.

_________________________________________________________________________
 
INVITED PAPERS

  Rance Cleaveland, SUNY at Stony Brook:
    Probabilistic Model Checking via the Modal Mu-Calculus

  Bengt Jonsson, University of Uppsala:
    On Model Checking Infinite-State Probabilistic Systems

  Kim Larsen, Aalborg University:
    Testing and Verification of Probabilistic Systems

  Oded Maler, Verimag:
    On the Representation of Probabilities over Structured Domains

_________________________________________________________________________
                                      
ACCEPTED CONTRIBUTIONS  
                                                                     
  Christel Baier, University of Mannheim, and 
  Holger Hermanns, University of Twente:
    A lazy synchronous calculus of fully probabilistic processes

  Luca de Alfaro, University of California at Berkeley:
    The Verification of Probabilistic Systems under Memoryless 
    Partial-Information Policies is Hard
 
  Josee Desharnais, McGill University:
    A logical characterization of probabilistic simulation

  Alessandra Di Pierro, University of Pisa, and 
  Herbert Wiklicky, Imperial College:       
    Ergodic Average in Constraint Programming
 
  Manfred Jaeger, Max-Planck-Institut at Saarbrucken:
    Fairness, Computable Fairness and Randomness

  Jeremy Sproston, University of Birmingham:
    Analysing subclasses of probabilistic hybrid automata

_________________________________________________________________________
 
STEERING AND PROGRAM COMMITTEE 
                                      
   Rajeev Alur, University of Pennsylvania 
   Christel Baier, University of Mannheim
   Luca de Alfaro, University of California at Berkeley   
   Michael Huth, Kansas State University
   Joost-Pieter Katoen, University of Twente 
   Marta Kwiatkowska, University of Birmingham (chair)
   Roberto Segala, University of Bologna    
   Prakash Panangaden, McGill University

_________________________________________________________________________

RELATED EVENTS

   PROBMIV'99 is organized as a satellite workshop of CONCUR'99, the 10th
   International Conference on Concurrency Theory, which will take place
   in Eindhoven on August 24-27, 1999.  PROBMIV'99 coincides with the
   EXPRESS'99 workshop on Expressiveness in Concurrency, another
   satellite of CONCUR'99.

REGISTRATION
   is via the registration form for CONCUR'99, available at URL
     http://www.win.tue.nl/concur99/  
   There is no registration charge for PROBMIV'99, but pre-registration
   is required.
   Note that early registration for CONCUR'99 ends on ***1st July***.

_________________________________________________________________________

LOCAL ORGANISATION
                                      
  Holger Hermanns, University of Twente
  Erik de Vink, Free University Amsterdam

_________________________________________________________________________

FURTHER INFORMATION

For more information please see URLs

PROBMIV'99      http://fmt.cs.utwente.nl/probmiv99/
CONCUR'99       http://www.win.tue.nl/concur99/
EXPRESS'99      http://www.docs.uu.se/~victor/Express/express99.shtml
PROBMIV'98      http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mzk/probmiv98.html

_________________________________________________________________________