Subject: categories: PROBMIV'99: Final Call for Papers

From: Marta Z Kwiatkowska <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:59:39 +0100 (BST)

[Please circulate this to anyone interested.  Apologies for multiple 
copies.]

_________________________________________________________________________

                         2nd CALL FOR PAPERS

                             PROBMIV'99     

  2nd International Workshop on Probabilistic Methods in Verification

                  http://fmt.cs.utwente.nl/probmiv99/ 

                       a satellite to CONCUR'99
 
                       Eindhoven, 23rd Aug 1999 
           (to coincide with EXPRESS'99, another satellite)
_________________________________________________________________________

SCOPE OF THE WORKSHOP 
  
Probability inherently features in software and hardware systems,
either as a means to derive efficient solutions (e.g. randomization),
or as a result of unreliable or unpredictable behaviour (e.g.
fault-tolerant systems, computer networks, etc).  *Probabilistic
verification* encompasses a range of theoretical, algorithmic and
programming methods that assist in establishing the correctness of
probabilistic systems against specifications.  Typically this involves
calculating the probability bounds for a temporal logic formula being
satisfied, based on an appropriate probability space on computations,
but also includes properties such as cost analysis and long-run
average.  Additionally, probabilistic verification can provide
guarantees the specifications hold with satisfactory probability in
cases when conventional model checking is not feasible.

The idea of this workshop is to bring together researchers that apply
probabilistic methods across the whole spectrum of verification. The
meeting aims to enable cross-fertilisation of ideas and techniques
between areas that are usually not in regular contact through
conferences, from semantics, probability theory, performance analysis
and computational linear algebra, through randomized algorithms,
probabilistic  logics, model checking, abstract interpretation, to
practical experimental work, tools and applications.

This is the second workshop of this kind.  The first meeting,
PROBMIV'98 was held in 1998 as a satellite to LICS.  In 1999, the
workshop takes place as a satellite to CONCUR.

_________________________________________________________________________

INVITED SPEAKERS 

   Rance Cleaveland, SUNY at Stony Brook
   Bengt Jonsson, University of Uppsala
   Kim G. Larsen, Aalborg University
   Oded Maler, Verimag

_________________________________________________________________________

STEERING AND PROGRAM COMMITTEE 
                                      
   Rajeev Alur, University of Pennsylvania 
   Christel Baier, University of Mannheim
   Luca de Alfaro, University of California at Berkeley   
   Michael Huth, Kansas State University
   Joost-Pieter Katoen, University of Twente 
   Marta Kwiatkowska, University of Birmingham (chair)
   Roberto Segala, University of Bologna    
   Prakash Panangaden, McGill University

_________________________________________________________________________

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
  
We are seeking papers on the following example (non-exclusive) topics:
 * Modelling and verification of probabilistic and stochastic systems,
   including real-time and hybrid systems 
 * Formal models and verification techniques for randomized algorithms 
 * Semantics of probabilistic and stochastic processes 
 * Probabilistic  logics 
 * Design of verification support tools 
 * Tool demonstrations 
 * Case studies 

Submissions may be of two forms: short abstracts of up to 4 pages or
full papers of 10-15 pages (previously unpublished).  Simultaneous
submission to other conferences or journals is *only* allowed for short
abstracts.  Because of the informal character of the workshop, we
encourage work in progress reports.

Authors should send their papers preferably electronically to the
address [email-masked] (as platform-independent PostScript
files printable on A4 paper and 8-1/2" x 11" paper, plus a plain text
message containing the submissions's title, abstract, and the main
author's address including e-mail and FAX) by the deadline shown
below.

Alternatively, authors may instead send 3 copies of the hardcopy of
their paper to
 
     Marta Kwiatkowska (Chair) 
     School of Computer Science 
     University of Birmingham 
     Edgbaston, B15 2TT, UK 
     Tel +44 (121) 414-7264 (voice)
     FAX +44 (121) 414-4281
     [email-masked] 
   
All submissions will be refereed in the normal manner.  Preliminary
proceedings, excluding short abstracts, will be published
electronically and as a Technical Report of the University of
Birmingham, to be available at the workshop.  We are currently
investigating the possibility of publishing proceedings after the
workshop as a volume of ENTCS jointly with the EXPRESS'99 workshop.

_________________________________________________________________________

IMPORTANT DATES

   17 May 1999    ***Submissions due***
   21 June 1999   Notification of acceptance or rejection
   19 July 1999   Final versions due for preliminary proceedings

_________________________________________________________________________

LOCAL ORGANISATION
                                      
Holger Hermanns, University of Twente
Erik de Vink, Free University Amsterdam

_________________________________________________________________________

FURTHER INFORMATION

For more information please see URLs

PROBMIV'99      http://fmt.cs.utwente.nl/probmiv99/
CONCUR'99       http://www.win.tue.nl/concur99/
EXPRESS'99      http://www.docs.uu.se/~victor/Express/express99.shtml
PROBMIV'98      http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mzk/probmiv98.html

_________________________________________________________________________