Subject: categories: Lectureship in Computer Science

From: "Roy L. Crole" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 13:23:45 +0100 (BST)

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to announce a Lectureship in Computer Science, which
may be of interest to CATEGORIES and TYPES readers. 

Leicester has a research group in Semantics which includes myself,
Simon Ambler and Neil Ghani. Current research areas include
Operational Semantics, Mechanized Reasoning, and Categorical Models of
Programming Languages. Further, the Distributed Systems group is
working on Security.  All are directly or indirectly connected with
the theory and practice of categories and types.

Please note the tight deadline for applications: 14 May 1999.

Roy Crole

--------------------------------------------------------

LEICESTER UNIVERSITY

DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTER SCIENCE

LECTURESHIP (GRADE A/B) IN COMPUTER SCIENCE (1 POST)

Applications are invited for a permanent Lectureship in Computer Science in
the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at the University of
Leicester.  There is no restriction regarding the area of research and
applicants with expertise in any area of Computer Science are welcomed.
The lectureship is tenable from as soon as possible.

The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science is divided into three
groups: Computer Science, Pure Mathematics and Applicable Mathematics.  The
lectureship is intended to strengthen the Computer Science Group with
regard to both teaching and research.  The Computer Science Group is firmly
research oriented and current activities are concentrated within three
research areas: Logic, Algebra and Complexity; Theory of Distributed
Systems; and Semantics.

The successful applicant will be ambitious, able to develop his or her own
research within a multi-faceted environment, and have a strong research
record and potential.  The new lecturer will be required to teach at
undergraduate and postgraduate level, and to perform administrative duties
as directed by the Head of Department.  This is a superb opportunity for a
person of energy, drive and ambition to assume a rewarding role and to
establish themselves in a young, dynamic and rapidly developing department.
Initial salary, dependent upon qualifications and experience, will be on
the Lecturer Grade A or B scale UKpounds 16,655 to UKpounds 29,048 p.a.

Candidates who are interested in the Lectureship are invited, if they so
wish, to contact Professor Iain Stewart, Head of Computer Science and Head
of Department (telephone (+44) 116 252 3885, e-mail
[email-masked]) or Professor Rick Thomas, Deputy Head of
Department (telephone (+44) 116 252 3411, email [email-masked]), who
will be pleased to discuss the Lectureship further.  Information about all
aspects of the Department is available from its World Wide Web pages
[http://www.mcs.le.ac.uk].

Further particulars (which are also available on the World Wide Web) and
application forms are available from the Personnel Office (Academic
Appointments), University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH,
telephone (+44) 116 252 2758.

The closing date for applications is 14 May 1999.