Subject: categories: LPNMR'99 Call for Papers

From: "LPNMR'99" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 23:21:13 +0200 (MET DST)

*******************                   
                            * CALL FOR PAPERS *
                            *******************                   
   
                   5th International Conference on Logic
                   Programming and Nonmonotonic Reasoning

                                  LPNMR'99
                                      
                   El Paso, Texas USA, December 2--4, 1999
                   
                    http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/lpnmr99/

   LPNMR'99 is the fifth in the series of international meetings on logic
   programming and nonmonotonic reasoning. Four previous meetings were
   held in Washington, U.S.A., in 1991, in Lisbon, Portugal, in 1993, in
   Lexington, U.S.A., in 1995, and in Dagstuhl, Germany, in 1997.

   LPNMR'99 will be coordinated with the ICLP'99, which starts on November
   29 in Las Cruces, approximately 40 miles from El Paso.   

   The proceedings of LPNMR'99 will be published by Springer in the
   LNCS/LNAI series (http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/).

Location

   El Paso, Texas is a city of nearly three-quarters of a million people,
   which sprawls across hundreds of square miles of desert and rambling
   foothills. The Franklin Mountains, southern tip of the Rockies, slice
   El Paso nearly in two. With its classic Western geography and
   tri-cultural history, El Paso makes an interesting place to visit.
 
   El Paso is the gateway to Juarez, Mexico (US citizens do not need a
   visa for a short visit across the border), and to southern New Mexico
   with such recognized attractions as Fort Bliss, Carlsbad Caverns and
   White Sands National Memorial.  El Paso's dry, sunny, warm desert
   climate earned the city the nickname Sun City.
   
Aim and Scope

   The aim of the conference is to facilitate interactions between
   researchers interested in the design and implementation of logic based
   programming languages and database systems and researchers who work in
   the areas of knowledge representation and non-monotonic reasoning.
   
   A non-exhaustive list of topics of interest include:

    1. Development and mathematical investigation of logical systems with
       non-monotonic entailment relations. This includes (but is not
       limited to)
         1. Extensions of ``classical'' LPNMR languages by new logical
            connectives and new inference capabilities such as abduction,
            reasoning by cases, etc;
         2. Semantics of new and existing languages;
         3. Relationship between various formalisms;
         4. Complexity and expressive power;
         5. Development and implementation of inference mechanisms for
            LPNMR systems;
         6. Updates and other operations on LPNMR systems;
         7. LPNMR systems with uncertainty.

    2. Applications of LPNMR systems.
         1. Methodology of representing knowledge in LPNMR languages.
            Theory and practice;
         2. LPNMR languages and algorithms in planning, diagnoses,
            software engineering, and other domains;
         3. Implemented LPNMR systems: Descriptions, Comparisons,
            Evaluations and Benchmarks.
       
Submission of Papers

   Papers must not exceed twelve (12) pages including references and
   figures, with a maximum of 38 lines per page and an average of 75
   characters per line (corresponding to the LaTeX article style, 12 pt).
   Further information is available on the Springer website at
   http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html.
   
   Papers must be written in English and include a cover page containing:
   title, abstract, keywords, postal and email addresses of all authors,
   voice and fax number of the contact author.
   
   Accepted papers must be presented at the conference.

   Please consult our web page for detailed submission information.
   
Important Dates

   Friday May 28, 1999: Papers due
   Monday July 26, 1999: Notification of acceptance/rejection
   Monday August 30, 1999: Final camera-ready papers due
   Thursday--Saturday December 2--4, 1999: LPNMR'99
   
Program Co-Chairs

   Michael Gelfond (University of Texas at El Paso, USA)
   Nicola Leone (Vienna University of Technology, Austria)
   
Program Committee

   Jose Julio Alferes (Universidade de Evora, Portugal)
   Chitta Baral (University of Texas at El Paso, USA)
   Nicole Bidoit (Université de Bordeaux 1, France)
   Jürgen Dix (University of Koblenz, Germany)
   Thomas Eiter (Vienna University of Technology, Austria)
   Fangzhen Lin (The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, China)
   Jack Minker (University of Maryland, USA)
   Anil Nerode (Cornell University, USA)
   Ilkka Niemela (Helsinki University of Technology, Finland)
   Dino Pedreschi (University of Pisa, Italy)
   Pasquale Rullo (University of Calabria, Rende, Italy)
   Chiaki Sakama (Wakayama University, Japan)
   V.S. Subrahmanian (University of Maryland, USA)
   Francesca Toni (Imperial College, London, U.K.)
   Miroslaw Truszczynski (University of Kentucky at Lexington, USA)
   Hudson Turner (University of Minnesota at Duluth, USA)
   Moshe Y. Vardi (Rice University, USA)
   Jia-Huai You (University of Alberta, Canada)

Invited Speakers

   Marco Cadoli (Università di Roma "La Sapienza", Italy)
   Vladimir Lifschitz (University of Texas at Austin, USA)
   Leora Morgenstern (IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA)   

Publicity Chair

   Gerald Pfeifer (Vienna University of Technology, Austria)

For further details and up-to-date information please check our
web page http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/lpnmr99/