Subject: categories: WoLLIC'99 - Call for Participation

From: Ruy de Queiroz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 09:56:56 -0300 (EST)

PROGRAMME AND CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

6th Workshop on Logic, Language, Information and Computation (WoLLIC'99)
May 25-28, 1999

http://www.di.ufpe.br/~wollic/wollic99/

Hotel Simon,
Itatiaia National Park, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

(In conjunction with "XII Encontro Brasileiro de Logica - EBL'99")

SCIENTIFIC SPONSORSHIP
Interest Group in Pure and Applied Logics
European Association for Logic, Language and Information (FoLLI)
Association for Symbolic Logic (ASL)
Sociedade Brasileira de Computaco (SBC)
Sociedade Brasileira de Logica (SBL)

FUNDING
CAPES, CNPq, Facolta di Scienze, Univ. di Verona

ORGANISATION
Departamento de Informatica, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco
Facolta` di Scienze, Universita` degli Studi di Verona
Centro de Logica, Epistemologia e Historia da Ciencia, Univ.Campinas

PROGRAMME

TUESDAY MAY 25th, 1999 (Tutorial Day)

Tutorials:

08:00-10:00 (with a 10min break)
  Introduction to Game Semantics
  by Samson Abramsky

10:00-10:15 Coffee/tea break

10:15-12:15 (with a 10min break)
  Markov Decision Processes and Bayesian Networks
  by Craig Boutilier

12:15-14:00 Lunch break

14:00-16:00 (with a 10min break)
  A Crash Course in Distributive Lattices
  by Francisco Miraglia

16:00-16:15 Coffee/tea break

16:15-18:15 (with a 10min break)
  Stability and Finite Model Theory
  by John Baldwin

18:15-18:30 Coffee/tea break

18:30-20:30 (with a 10min break)
  Bounded Arithmetic, Nonstandard Models
  by Alan Woods

WEDNESDAY MAY 26th, 1999

Morning: Logic and Computation

08:30 OPENING

09:00-10:00 (Invited talk WoLLIC'99/EBL'99)  Chair: John Baldwin
  Concurrent Games and Full Completeness
  by Samson Abramsky, Division of Informatics, Edinburgh University, UK

10:00-10:15 Coffee/tea break

10:15-11:15 3 contributed papers (20min each)  Chair: Ruy de Queiroz
 
   10:15-10:35 omega-continuos cpo's, omega-algebraic cpo's, SFP domains and
               retract of SFP domains as information systems
               by Benjamin Callejas Bedregal, Departamento de Informatica e
                  Matematica Aplicada, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do
                  Norte, Brazil

   10:35-10:55 Alpha Conversion in Simply Typed Lambda Calculus
               by Ana Bove, Department of Computing Science, Chalmers
                  University of Technology, Goteborg, Sweden, and
                  Paula Severi, Centro de Matematica, Facultad de Ciencias,
                  Universidad de la Republica, Uruguay

   10:55-11:15 Dependence Analysis Through Type Inference
               by Ozan Hafizogullari and Christoph Kreitz, Department of
                  Computer Science, Cornell University, USA

11:15-11:30 Coffee/tea break

11:30-12:30 (Invited talk EBL'99/WoLLIC'99)  Chair: Valeria de Paiva
            (TBA)
            by Paulo Veloso, Departamento de Informatica, Pontificia
               Universidade Catolica do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

12:30-14:00 Lunch break

Afternoon: Logic and Information

14:00-15:00 (Invited talk)  Chair: Alan Woods
            Abstraction and Decomposition Techniques for Markov Decision
            Processes
            by Craig Boutilier, Department of Computer Science, University
               of British Columbia, Canada

15:00-15:15 Coffee/tea break

15:15-16:15 3 contributed papers (20min each)  Chair: Ana Teresa C. Martins

   15:15-15:35 A little note about Maxichoice and Epistemic Entrenchment
               by Eduardo Ferme, Departamento de Computacion, Universidad
                  de Buenos Aires, Argentina  

  15:35-15:55 Irrevocable Belief Revision and Epistemic Entrenchment
               by Eduardo Ferme, Departamento de Computacion, Universidad
                  de Buenos Aires, Argentina  

   15:55-16:15 A logic-based system for controlling inconsistencies in
                 evolutionary databases
               by Walter A. Carnielli, Centro de Logica, Universidade
                  Estadual de Campinas, Brazil, and
                  Sandra de Amo, Departamento de Informatica, Universidade
                  Federal de Uberlandia, Minas Gerais, Brazil

THURSDAY MAY 27th, 1999

Morning: Logic, Model Theory and Complexity Theory

09:00-10:00 (Invited talk WoLLIC'99/EBL'99)  Chair: Francisco Miraglia
            Finite and Infinite Model Theory
            by John Baldwin, Department of Mathematics, Statistics and
               Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA

10:00-10:15 Coffee/tea break

10:15-11:15 3 contributed papers (20min each)  Chair: E. Hermann Hauesler

   10:15-10:35 Model theory of the recursively enumerable many-one degrees
               by Andre O. Nies, Department of Mathematics, University of
                  Chicago, USA

   10:35-10:55 On clausal models
               by Dusan Guller, Institute of Informatics, Comenius University,
                  Slovakia

   10:55-11:15 (tba)
               by (tba)

11:15-11:30 Coffee/tea break

11:30-12:30 (Invited talk)  Chair: Craig Boutilier
            Intrinsic theories: a methodology for reasoning about functional
            programs and their computational complexity
            by Daniel Leivant, Department of Computer Science,
               Indiana University, USA

12:30-14:00 Lunch break

Afternoon: Categorical Logic and Non-Classical Logics

14:00-15:00 (Invited talk WoLLIC'99/EBL'99)  Chair: Samson Abramsky
           A Lattice-Theoretic Concept of Logical Connective
           by Francisco Miraglia, Instituto de Matematica e Estatistica,
              Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil

15:00-15:15 Coffee/tea break

15:15-16:15 3 contributed papers (20min each)  Chair: Mario Benevides

   15:15-15:35 Hybrid logic is the bounded fragment of first order logic
               by Carlos Areces, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands,
                  Patrick Blackburn, Universitaet des Saarlandes, Germany, and
                  Maarten Marx, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands

   15:35-15:55 A Dynamic Modal Arrow Logic for the Interpretation of
                 Verb Stems and Voice Affixes in Tagalog
               by Ralf Naumann and Anja Latrouite, Seminar fuer Allgemeine
                  Sprachwissenschaft, Universitaet Duesseldorf, Germany

   15:55-16:15 The Taming (Timing) of the States
               by Angelo Montanari, Adriano Peron and Alberto Policriti,
                  Dipartimento di Matematica e Informatica, Universita`
                  di Udine, Italy

FRIDAY MAY 28th, 1999

Morning: Logic and Proof Theory

09:00-10:00 (Invited talk WoLLIC'99/EBL'99)  Chair: Daniel Leivant
            Bounded Arithmetic from a Rational Perspective
            by Alan Woods, Department of Mathematics, University of
               Western Australia, Australia

10:00-10:15 Coffee/tea break

10:15-11:15 3 contributed papers (20min each)  Chair: Luiz Carlos Pereira

   10:15-10:35 A Cut-Free Gentzen Formulation of Modal Logic S5
               by Torben Brauner, Centre for Philosophy and Science-Theory,
                  Aalborg University, Denmark

   10:35-10:55 A Sequent Calculus for a Paraconsistent Default Logic
               by Ana Teresa de C. Martins, Tarcisio Pequeno and
                  Marcelino Pequeno, Departamento da Computacao,
                  Universidade Federal do Ceara', Brazil

   10:55-11:15 A sequent calculus for Lukasiewicz's three-valued logic based
               on Suszko's bivalent semantics
               by Jean-Yves Beziau, LNCC/CNPq, National Laboratory for
                  Scientific Computing, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

11:15-11:30 Coffee/tea break

11:30-12:30 (Invited talk EBL'99/WoLLIC'99)  Chair: (tba)
            (TBA)
            by (to be announced)

12:30 CLOSING

------