Subject: categories: FMCS 99

From: [email-masked] (Robin Cockett)
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 15:12:16 -0600 (MDT)

*************************************************
        *                                               *
        * FFFFF  M    M   CCC  SSSS     9999    9999    *
        * F      MM  MM  C    S        9    9  9    9   *
        * FFFFF  M MM M  C     SSS      99999   9999    *
        * F      M    N  C        S         9       9   *
        * F      M    M   CCC SSSS      9999    9999    *
        *                                               *
        **********************FMCS 99********************

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION:

The Department of Computer Science at the University of Calgary is hosting 
the Foundational Methods in Computer Science workshop on June 3rd - 6th, 
1999 at the Kananaskis Field Station in Alberta, Canada.

The workshop is an informal meeting to bring together researchers in 
mathematics and computer science with a focus on the application of 
category theory in computer science.  It is a three day meeting, that 
starts with a day of tutorials aimed at students and newcomers to 
category theory, followed by a day and a half of research talks.

The meeting this year has a little website (the schedule and speakers 
will be announced on the site) see:

     http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~fmcs99 

The workshop will have approximately the same format as last year,  
with a day of tutorials on friday June 4 and shorter research 
presentations on June 5 and 6.  

Tutorials will be given by:
     Ernie Manes         More monads ...
     Rick Blute          Linear Logic
     Phil Mulry          Partial maps
     David Benson        Sketches and complexity

Due to the location (in the foothills of the Rockies) we shall be 
adopting a mountain conference schedule: lectures will run 
9:00am - 12:00pm, packed lunches (a chance for walks and talks etc.), 
supper at 5:30pm, and lectures resume 7:00pm - 10:00pm.  The area 
offers walks of all standards in some of the most stunning mountain 
scenery of the Rockies.  In June the evenings still get quite cool.

We do have limited support for student participation (for which one 
must apply) as usual student participation and talks are encouraged.
If you would like to attend this year please visit the web site and 
send in your registration form!

I look forward to seeing you at FMCS ... 

Robin Cockett