Subject: categories: Research Positions

From: Matthew Hennessy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 12:52:58 +0100 (BST)

____________________________________________________

          My apologies if you receive this more than once!
____________________________________________________

                       UNIVERSITY OF SUSSEX
            
            RESEARCH FELLOWS IN THE FOUNDATIONS OF COMPUTING

Two Research Fellows are required for a 2-year project entitled ``The
Semantic Foundations of Mobile Computation'', under the direction of
Prof. M. Hennessy and funded by the EPSRC.

The project objectives include

- the development of abstract foundational calculi for mobile 
systems in which the concepts of location, mobility, failure 
and security play an central role

- the elaboration of behavioural equivalences for these calculi, 
and their associated  algebraic theories

- the construction of proof systems and methodologies for
establishing properties of mobile systems.

The project will start on 1/10/99 and salary will be related to the
academic 1A scale. A Ph.D. in Computer Science or Mathematics or
equivalent experience is required. In addition to normal research
duties the successful candidate will be expected to provide some 
assistance to undergraduate teaching.

To apply please submit applications to 

Matthew Hennessy
School of COGS
University of Sussex
Falmer
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

Tel: +44 01273 678101                      
email: [email-masked]

from whom more details of the project and the conditions of service
are available.

Applications should include 
    - a detailed curriculum vitae, 
    - names of three referees with their email addresses, 
    - a statement  outlining the candidates proposed contribution
      to the goals of the project,
    - copies (or URL references) of any relevant publications.