Subject: categories: PhD positions

From: N Ghani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 17:13:14 +0100

----------------------------------------------------------------------

                     Leicester University, U.K.
             Department of Mathematics & Computer Science

        3 PH.D. STUDENTSHIPS IN MATHEMATICS OR COMPUTER SCIENCE

Applications are invited for three fully funded research studentships
leading to the degree of Ph.D. in any aspect of Mathematics or
Computer Science. The studentships are available for studies beginning
in October 1999 to persons who are normally resident in the E.U.
Applicants should have, or expect to obtain, a first or upper second
class degree in a relevant subject area.

The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science is divided into
three groups: Pure Mathematics, Applicable Mathematics and Computer
Science.  The Pure Mathematics Group carries out research in various
aspects of algebra, algebraic topology and symbolic dynamics. The key
areas of expertise are in the representation theory of finite
dimensional algebras, of finite groups and of quantum groups and in
algebraic topology and its applications to dynamical systems, algebra
and analysis.  The Applicable Mathematics Group focuses mainly on
numerical analysis, and in particular on: approximation theory; the
numerical solution of ordinary and partial differential equations; and
integral equations.  Research in the Computer Science Group has three
main themes: logic, algebra and complexity; the theory of distributed
systems; and semantics. There is an active Graduate Programme.

Candidates should identify their preferred area of research and
supervisor. Details of the possible areas of research and supervisors
are available via the Departmental web pages (http://www.mcs.le.ac.uk)
or the Department's Postgraduate Brochure. The Postgraduate Brochure,
application forms and further details are available from
Dr. S. J. Ambler, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science,
Leicester University, Leicester LE1 7RH (telephone: 0116 252 3406,
email: [email-masked]). The closing date for applications is
1st May 1999.

----------------------------------------------------------------------