Subject: categories: PhD Studentship at Edinburgh

From: Gordon Plotkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:55:57 +0000 (GMT)

Division of Informatics

                       University of Edinburgh

                  Announcement of PhD Studentship in

       The Structure of Programming Languages: Syntax and Semantics

A PhD student is sought for three years from October 1999 to work under 
the supervision of Prof. Gordon Plotkin on a UK EPSRC-funded project:
``The Structure of Programming Languages: Syntax and Semantics.''

The project aims at a general theory of the syntax and semantics of 
programming languages. The student will work on a categorical theory 
of structural operational semantics and its relation to denotational 
semantics. (See http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/dt/lics97.ps.)
Example topics include: variations on GSOS for computational effects 
other than non-determinism; linguistic expressions of categorical 
operational semantics; and a theory of language translation incorporating 
both denotational and operational semantics.

The studentship is for three years and pays for all fees and includes
maintenance (living expenses) at the usual EPSRC rate.

The studentship will be held at the Laboratory for Foundations of
Computer Science (LFCS), Division of Informatics, University of Edinburgh. 

The LFCS provides an ideal environment for postgraduate research. The
first six months of postgraduate training are supported by a unique
postgraduate course on the theory of computation. In addition, there
are regular short courses on advanced research topics, and a number of
forums provide weekly research seminars. The LFCS is particularly strong
in the area of semantics of programming languages.

The PhD studentship is relevant to computer science or mathematics
graduates who are interested in at least one topic from: theory of
programming languages, operational semantics, category theory.

For additional information contact Gordon Plotkin:

  [email-masked]
  http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/gdp/
 
For an application form write to

  Eleanor Kerse
  PhD Admissions,
  Department of Computer Science,
  University of Edinburgh,
  JCMB, King's Buildings,
  Edinburgh EH9 3JZ
  Scotland

or use the HTML form available from
 
  http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/deptinfo/admissions/phd
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prof. Gordon Plotkin           E-Mail: [email-masked]
LFCS, University of Edinburgh  Tel: +44 131 650 5158
JCMB, The King's Buildings     Fax:         667 7209
Edinburgh EH9 3JZ, UK          http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/gdp/