Subject: categories: New_PhD_positions_at_Chalmers

From: "K. V. S. Prasad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:12:21 +0100 (MET)

The School of Mathematical and Computing Sciences at the Chalmers
University of Technology and Göteborgs University announces new PhD
positions in several subjects including Computing Science.

The Department of Computing Science, part of the Schol, has about 30
staff members and about 25 PhD students.  The department receives
funding from Esprit, and from the Swedish Government agencies TFR and
NUTEK.  The major topics of research are programming logic and type
theory, functional programming, formal systems, cognition technology,
distributed systems, concurrency, and algorithms, but research is not
restricted to these.

PhD positions are limited to at most five years. Usually, a PhD
student will spend about 80 percent of his or her time on graduate
studies, and about 20 percent on teaching. Applicants must have an
undergraduate degree in Computing Science or in a related subject with
a strong Computing Science component. You may also apply if your
undergraduate degree is not complete but is expected to be finished by
September 1, 1999. The School aims to increase the number of female
employees, and especially welcomes female applicants. At the moment,
the salary amounts to 16200 SEK per month in the first year.

More information about the graduate programmes can be found on the WWW
on page:

  http://www.md.chalmers.se/Jobs/PhD/phd-en.thtml

which also has a pointer to an electronic application form. You are
encouraged to use this, as it will get your application immediately
registered with the School. However, you will have to send more
information to complete your application.

The full application consists of a letter in English, covering

  1 data about yourself;
  2 a copy of an official paper giving grades from your undergraduate
    degree(s); 
  3 a statement about your main interests;
  4 some letters of recommendation from people that know you as a student
    or as an employee;
  5 any scientific papers you have written.

Send your application to 

  Section for Mathematics and Computer Science
  Chalmers University of Technology
  412 96 Gothenburg
  Sweden

The last date for your application to arrive is 1 March 1999.
Incomplete or late applications risk rejection. We expect to tell you
the result of your application by 1 June 1999.

It will help if you also send whatever details can be sent by by e-mail to

  [email-masked]

More information about the Department can be found at

  www.cs.chalmers.se

---------------------------------------------------------------
K. V. S. Prasad                
Director of Graduate Studies
Dept. of Computing Science      Tel: 46-31-772 1021 (work)
Chalmers University                  
412 96 Gothenburg, Sweden       Fax: 46-31-16 56 55 (dept)