Subject: categories: CATOP2000

From: Claude Auderset <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:55:28 +0100

Conference C A T O P 2 0 0 0 (Second announcement)
to be held at the University of Fribourg (Switzerland), 4-6 July, 2000
(a satellite conference of 3ECM, Barcelona).

TOPIC: It is the aim of this conference to discuss categorical topological
methods that are likely to be mathematically important in the next century.
Furthermore, on Thursday afternoon resp. evening, we shall celebrate the
seventieth birthday of Professor Heinrich Kleisli (Fribourg).

Tentative titles of the eight invited two hour lectures:
A. ARHANGEL'SKII (Moscow, Russia): Topological semigroups.
M. BARR (Montreal, Canada):  The *-autonomous category of Mackey spaces.
MARIA M. CLEMENTINO (Coimbra, Portugal): Closure operators.
KATHRYN P. HESS (Lausanne, Switzerland): Model categories in algebraic
topology.
R. LOWEN (Antwerp, Belgium): Approach spaces.
HILARY A. PRIESTLEY (Oxford, England): Duality theory.
D. PUMPLUEN (Hagen, Germany): Convex sets and Saks spaces (A paradigmatic
case of applied category theory).
S. WATSON (York, Canada): How to construct counterexamples in general and
set-theoretic topology usefully with pullbacks.

SHORT COMMUNICATIONS: Persons interested in giving a short communication
are kindly asked to send a one page abstract of their talk by ordinary
(air)mail to Prof. Heinrich Kleisli, Department of Mathematics, University
of Fribourg, 1700 Fribourg, Switzerland, before April 1, 2000.
Please note however that the programme of the congress mainly consists of
the afore-mentioned 8 invited lectures (of 2 times 50 minutes each) and
allows only a restricted number of (about 8-10) short communications (of 20
minutes each); if necessary, the scientific committee of the conference
will have to select among the suggested short communications the most
suitable ones. Each participant who wishes to give a short communication
will be informed by May 1, 2000, whether his or her talk is part of the final
programme of the congress.

ACCOMMODATION: The hotels (and student residences) are located near the
railway station.
The prices are as follows (breakfast included):
Single room: 90 sFr. up,
Double room: 140 sFr. up.

Student residence: Single room (~45 sFr.)
                    Double room (~35 sFr./pers.)

TRAVELLING TO FRIBOURG: Intercity trains connect Fribourg with
the international airports of Geneva and Zurich.
Talks will take place in the Chemistry Building, Perolles-site
of the University of Fribourg, close to the centre of the town.

Further information about the congress (e.g. maps) can be obtained via its
homepage: www.unifr.ch/math/catop2000

REGISTRATION: A participation fee of 100 sFr. (Swiss francs) will be paid
by each participant. The ticket for the banquet on Thursday night costs
additional 80 sFr.
Please indicate in the registration form below how many tickets for the
banquet you need. The deadline for paying the registration fee and tickets
is April 10, 2000.
Please make money orders payable to	
Banque Cantonale, CATOP2000, Inst.Math., CH-1700 Fribourg, 
(CCP 17-49-3), account-no 25'01'016.390-09, b.cl. 768.

The registration desk will open on Tuesday morning at 8.00.
Email facilities will be available to participants during the conference.

The organizers strongly recommend electronic preregistration via our
homepage mentioned above.
Persons who have no access to Internet also may fill in the preregistration
form given below and send it to one of the following addresses of the
congress:

Email: [email-masked]

(Air)mail: Catop2000, Department of Mathematics,
University of Fribourg, 1700 Fribourg, Switzerland

We are looking forward to meeting you in Fribourg.

The organizing committee of CATOP 2000: 
Ernst Ruh (Fribourg),
Hans-Peter Kuenzi (Bern), 
Claude Auderset (Fribourg).

=========================================================================
Preregistration Form (before 10th April, 2000)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Registration Details:

Family name (please print):
First name:
Affiliation:
Mailing address (if different):
Email:
Fax:
Arrival date:
Departure date:
I shall arrive with                             accompanying persons.
I need                                          tickets for the banquet.
Visa support: I need an official invitation: yes/no

accommodation needed:  yes/no
accommodation in student residence:   single/  double room
                in hotel:               single /  double room

Additional remarks:

--------------------------------