Subject: categories: Chair in Computer Science

From: "Roy L. Crole" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:57:53 +0100 (BST)

Dear Colleagues,

Please find below an advertisement for a UK Chair in Computer Science.
Three lectureships will follow immediately after the appoinment is
made, allowing for a new group to be formed.  I am sending this
message to categories and types, whose members may be interested in
applying: the Department is joint with Mathematics, and the areas of
category theory, type theory, logic and theorem proving are all
represented at Leicester.

Thanks for your help,

Roy Crole.

**********

UNIVERSITY OF LEICESTER

DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTER SCIENCE

CHAIR IN COMPUTER SCIENCE

Applications are invited for a Chair in Computer Science in the
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. The appointment will
commence on a date to be agreed. This is a new Chair and the aim is to
strengthen research in Computer Science in an area complementary to
existing ones. Nevertheless, applications are welcomed from
individuals with an outstanding research record in any area of
Computer Science. Subsequent to this appointment, three new
Lectureships in Computer Science will be advertised and the appointee
should expect to play a major role in filling these positions. This is
a superb opportunity for a person of drive and enthusiasm to create a
significant research group in a leading university.

Candidates who are interested in the Chair are invited to contact the
Head of Department, Professor Iain Stewart (telephone 0116 2523885,
e-mail [email-masked]) or the Deputy Head of Department, Professor
Rick Thomas (telephone 0116 2523411, e-mail [email-masked]), either
of whom would be pleased to discuss the position further. Candidates
are invited to consult the Department's web pages at

     http://www.mcs.le.ac.uk

where they will also find the Further Particulars (within which are details
of how applicants should apply).