Subject: categories: PhD position

From: N Ghani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 16:08:58 +0200

University of Leicester, Great Britain

                  Announcement of PhD Studentship in

                       Categorical Rewriting

A PhD student is sought for three years from January 2000 to work
under the supervision of Dr Neil Ghani on a UK EPSRC-funded project
``Categorical Rewriting''

A brief description of the project is included below. Further details
can be obtained by emailing Dr Ghani at [email-masked]

Project Description
-------------------

Term Rewriting Systems (TRSs) are widely used throughout computer
science as they form an abstract model of computation while retaining
a relatively simple and concrete syntax. However, this concreteness
has led to a tendency to concentrate on the technical details of
specific problems to the detriment of a wider understanding of the
subject. 

This project aims to address this problem by developing a categorical
semantics for rewriting. The project builds on recent work by Dr Ghani
which showed that TRSs can be regarded as generalised algebraic
theories and consequently that TRSs can be modelled as enriched
monads. We want to extend this reasearch in a number of
directions, eg the development of the semantics to cover more complex
notions of rewriting and the application of our research to 
open problems in rewriting.