Subject: categories: re: co-

From: Koslowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:10:05 +0200 (MET DST)

Ross Street brought up an important point.  As you start considering
higher-dimensional categories, the number of possible dualizations
rises exponentially.  Also, given a monoidal category V, we can consider
it either as a bicategory with trivial hom-categories, or as a
one-object bicategory (usually called the suspension of V).  Which of
these views should be "notationally invariant"?  Should colimits in Set
be oplimits in the supension of Set? 

Best regards,

-- J"urgen

P.S.  Why are certain categorical notions preferred over their dual
counterparts?  E.g., hardly anyone talks about the Yoneda embedding
of A into [A,Set]^op.

-- 
J"urgen Koslowski       % If I don't see you no more in this world
ITI                     % I meet you in the next world
TU Braunschweig         % and don't be late!
[email-masked] %              Jimi Hendrix (Voodoo Child)