Subject: categories: RE: Upper case and lower case

From: Fred E J Linton <FEJLINTON/[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 18:38:40 -0500 (EST)

David Feldman erroneously credits to me an insight that is not mine, but
Peter Johnstone's.  Cf. {Topos Theory}, p. 230:

> ... If we regard two distinct points having the same closure
> as an instance of double vision (and an irreducible closed set with no
> generic point as a species of pink elephant!), then the reason for the
> term "sober space" will be apparent.

(Thanks, David, but credit where credit is due.)

-- Fred

---

From: "Dr. P.T. Johnstone" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:09:01 +0100 (BST)

> (Thanks, David, but credit where credit is due.)
I can't claim the credit either: the wording above is mine, but I 
copied the idea from something written by Bill Lawvere. I can't now
find the reference, but I think it may have been in his 1976 Chicago
lecture notes on "Variable Sets, Etendu and Variable Structures in
Topoi" (of which I no longer have a copy).

Peter Johnstone