Subject: categories: p.s. Re: xxx preprint archive

From: James Stasheff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:11:57 -0400 (EDT)

I may have given the wrong impression:

Ginsparg writes:
  note that "Computation & Language" is not  
  a comprehensive archive for all of Computer Science and all of Linguistics.
  it is a small archive started in '94, corresponding to just a small subject  
  class of computer science, devoted to a very specific sub-area involving  
  language. as such

	 note that later this month we *will* be starting a  
  comprehensive cs archive along the lines of what was done in math, and its  
  advisory board, formed from an ACM committee early this year, has repeated
  many of the deliberations regarding the most effective partitioning,
  and its relation to the existing ACM classification scheme. (in the end
  the primary level is likely to reflect instead their conference structure.)
  the aim is to evolve that much more quickly to a set of mirrored
  comprehensive resources for physics, math and computer science -- presuming
  the latter two eventually choose to participate at the same level as the
  former... it is partly true that these are culture driven, but these cultures
  evolve: the examples of Astrophysics and Condensed Matter both started
  quite slowly six years ago (in comparison to High Energy Physics which
  took off instantly in '91 and saturated by late '93, essentially 100%
  participation) but those two each more than doubled their submission
  rates from '94-'96 and have continued (though Astrophysics is now nearing
  saturation as well), so these cultures are capable of adapting if it
  suits their research purposes.

pg