Subject: categories: preprint available

From: Steve Awodey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 18:15:06 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Colleagues,

The preprint mentioned below is available from my page on the WWW,

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/awodey/

Please let me know if you have difficulty obtaing or printing it, or if you
would like to have a paper copy sent.

Steve A.

*******************************************************************************

"Topological representation of the lambda-calculus"

S. Awodey

Abstract: The lambda-calculus can be represented  topologically by
assigning certain spaces to the types and certain  continuous maps to the
terms.  Using a recent result from topos theory, the usual calculus of
lambda-conversion is shown to be  deductively complete with respect to such
topological
semantics.  It is also shown to be functionally complete, in  the sense
that there is always a ``minimal'' topological model, in  which every
continuous function is lambda-definable.  These  results subsume earlier
ones using cartesian closed categories, as  well as those employing
so-called Henkin and Kripke lambda-models.

*******************************************************************************