From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 May 98 16:09 MET

>From esik Tue May 12 16:09:55 +0200 1998 remote from inf.u-szeged.hu
To: [email-masked]
cc: esik
Subject: FICS 2nd announcement
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 16:09:55 +0200
From: Esik Zoltan <[email-masked]>
Received: from inf.u-szeged.hu by inf.u-szeged.hu; Tue, 12 May 1998 16:09 MET
Content-Type: text
Content-Length: 4630

Dear Professor Rosebrugh, 

Would you please forward the attached 2nd announcement
of the FICS workshop to the subsribers of categories.

Thank you in advance. 

Yours sincerely,

Zoltan Esik

*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************
**                                                                           **
**                               F I C S  ' 9 8                              **
**                                                                           **
**                      Fixed Points in Computer Science                     **
**                                                                           **
**                       A Satellite Workshop to MFCS'98                     **
**                                                                           **
**                   August 27-28, 1998, Brno, Czech Republic                **
**                                                                           **
**                             Second Announcement                           **
**                                                                           **
*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************

Aim:
 Fixed points play a fundamental role in several areas of computer science,
 and the construction and properties of fixed points have been investigated
 in many different frameworks. The aim of the workshop is to provide a forum
 for researchers to present their results to those members of the computer
 science community who study or apply the fixed point operation in the
 different fields and formalisms.

Topics:
 Construction and reasoning about properties of fixed points, categorical,
 metric and ordered fixed point models, continuous algebras, relation
 algebras, fixed points in process algebras and process calculi, regular
 algebra of finitary and infinitary languages, formal power series, tree
 automata and tree languages, infinite trees, the mu-calculus and other
 programming logics, fixed points in relation to dataflow and circuits,
 fixed points and the lambda calculus.

Invited lectures:

 A. Arnold (Bordeaux): Boolean mu-calculus and its relations
                       with model-checking and games
 
 J. W. de Bakker (Amsterdam): Fixed points in metric semantics
 
 Y. N. Moschovakis (Los Angeles/Athens): Fair, non-deterministic
                      recursion in higher types (tentative)

Program Committee:

 R. Backhouse (Eindhoven)
 S. L. Bloom (Hoboken)
 C. Boehm (Rome)
 R. De Nicola (Florence)
 Z. Esik (Szeged, chairman)
 P. Freyd (Philadelphia)
 I. Guessarian (Paris)
 D. Kozen (Cornell)
 W. Kuich (Vienna)
 M. Mislove (Tulane)
 R. F. C. Walters (Sydney)

Contact person:

 Zoltan Esik
 Dept. of Computer Science
 Jozsef Attila University
 P.O.B. 652
 6701 Szeged, Hungary
 e-mail: [email-masked]
 phone:  ++36-62-454-289
 fax:    ++36-62-312-292

Paper submission:
 Authors are invited to send three copies of an abstract not exceeding three
 pages to the PC chair. Electronic submissions in the form  of uuencoded
 postscript file are encouraged and can be sent to [email-masked].
 Submissions are to be received before May 25, 1998. Authors will be notified
 of acceptance by June 25, 1998.

Proceedings:
 Preliminary proceedings containing the abstracts of the talks will be
 available at the meeting. Publication of final proceedings as a special issue
 of Theoretical Informatics and Applications depends on the number and quality
 of the papers.

The workshop will be organised at the same place as the federated
MFCS'98/CSL'98 conference and care will be taken that participants of the
workshop can attend invited talks of the MFCS and CSL conferences.

No special registration fee is required for participants who also
register for MFCS'98 or CSL'98 and have a presentation at the workshop. Other
workshop participants registered for MFCS'98 or CSL'98 will be requested to
pay a small fee for the preliminary proceedings. Registration only for the
workshop is also possible--expenses for fee, accommodation, and basic
meals are very modest. Registration information can be found 
on the MFCS web page at http://www.fi.muni.cz/mfcs98.  

Organising Committee:

 L. Bernatsky (Szeged)
 A. Kucera (Brno)
 T. Szeles (Szeged)

More information is available at the following web sites:

 http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/fics/
 http://www.cs.stevens-tech.edu/CFP/FICS/