Subject: categories: Reminder: ICM'98 early registration deadline is May 1!

From: [email-masked] (Christoph Helmberg)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 18:27:38 +0200

Dear Editor,

would you be so kind to distribute the following message on
your mailing-list?

Best regards

Christoph Helmberg

---------------------------------------------------------------

Reminder: ICM'98 early registration deadline is May 1!

Dear Colleague:

Please note that 

      May 1 : deadline for early registration and submission of abstracts

for ICM'98 is quickly approaching. We are looking forward to receiving your
registration (by WWW, fax, or surface mail) for
 
            THE INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF MATHEMATICIANS  
 
                    BERLIN, August 18-27, 1998

                     http://elib.zib.de/ICM98
    
The International Congress of Mathematicians, taking place about every 
four years since 1897, belongs to the most important mathematical events 
in the world. One distinguished feature, among others, is the awarding 
of the Fields Medals (the "mathematical Nobel Prize") and the Nevanlinna 
Prize during the Opening Ceremony.

The Congress is held under the auspices of the International Mathematical 
Union (IMU). Mathematicians from all countries gather to discuss recent 
developments in mathematics that are presented by leading scientists from 
all mathematical fields. Responsibility for the scientific program lies 
with the Program Committee appointed by IMU. There will be 21 one-hour 
Plenary Lectures covering the major areas of mathematics and about 
160 forty-five-minute Invited Lectures in nineteen sections 
(see http://elib.zib.de/ICM98/B for the full invited program). 

In addition to the distinct scientific program we have made strong 
efforts to set up a rich and rewarding by-program for you and your 
company. There will be:
 
- exhibitions, concerts, talks, and discussions: 
      http://elib.zib.de/ICM98/C/1/urania

- the VideoMath Festival:
      http://www-sfb288.math.tu-berlin.de/VideoMath/

- Footloose Tours:
      http://elib.zib.de:88/pub/IMU/ICM98-TEST/E/5/

- Sessions on Special Activities
      http://elib.zib.de/ICM98/B/7

- Many important conferences have been arranged around ICM'98:
      http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de:80/Events/around_icm.html

We are looking forward to seeing you in Berlin.

Christoph Helmberg (for the ICM'98 Organizing Committee)