Subject: categories: AMS Announcement

From: F W Lawvere <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:20:29 -0400 (EDT)

First Announcement  				April 22, 1998

		SMOOTH CATEGORIES IN GEOMETRY AND MECHANICS

           Special session of AMS Meeting No. 943 in Buffalo, N.Y.

			  April 24/25, 1999 

	The intended subject of the session includes 
(a)  the application of extensive categories, regular categories,
cartesian-closed categories, toposes and the like to differential
geometry, functional analysis of smooth functions and differential 
forms, distributions and currents, the motion and heating of extended
bodies, electro-magnetism,...

as well as
 
(b)  the formulation and explanation of problems in those fields to which
such application would possibly be useful.

	To facilitate the organizing process, please send

   (1)	an indication of interest in participation, as soon as possible

   (2)	a preliminary abstract by September 1, 1998
	(The AMS will require an abstract later in the fall.)

	F. William Lawvere, Organizer
	Mathematics Department
	SUNY AT BUFFALO
	106, Diefendorf Hall
	Buffalo, N.Y. 14214, USA

	[email-masked]