Subject: categories: ICCL'98 Call For Participation

From: Christopher Colby <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:27:45 -0600 (CST)

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

                        IEEE Computer Society
         1998 International Conference on Computer Languages

                          Loyola University
                    Chicago, USA, 14--16 May, 1998

                            Sponsored by
    the IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Computer Languages,
 in cooperation with the ACM Special Interest Group on Programming Languages.

                   http://www.math.luc.edu/iccl98/

This is the sixth in a series of conferences devoted to all aspects of
computer languages, serving to bring together people broadly
interested in machine processable descriptions.  The hallmarks of ICCL
are diversity, openness to a wide range of linguistic research, and
international representation.  The focus is on new ideas in languages
and language technology which are innovative or experimental in
nature.

On May 13, a pre-conference Workshop on Internet Programming Languages
will be conducted at Loyola University.  Details are given at the end
of this announcement.

                         IMPORTANT DEADLINES 

     Hotel discount reservation deadline: April 12, 1998 
     Early conference registration deadline: April 22, 1998 

Information about hotels and conference registration appears below
and at the ICCL web page cited above.

                         CONFERENCE PROGRAM

The conference runs Thursday, May 14, 8:30am-6:00pm;
Friday, May 15, 8:45am-5:30pm; and Saturday, May 16, 8:45am-12:45pm 

The invited speakers are
  Luca Cardelli, Microsoft Cambridge Labs (UK)
  Paul Hudak, Yale University (US)
  James Larus, University of Wisconsin (US)

The technical sessions consist of the following talks:

                         THURSDAY, MAY 14th
Invited Lecture: Luca Cardelli, Microsoft Cambridge Labs (UK)

Security and Dynamic Class Loading in Java: A Formalisation 
  T. Jensen D. Le M'etayer T. Thorn, IRISA/CNRS/INRIA (FR)

TJava: A Transactional Java
  Alex Garthwaite and Scott Nettles, University of Pennsylvania (US)

Breaking Abstractions and Unstructuring Data Structures 
  Christian Collberg, Clark Thomborson and Douglas Low, The University
  of Auckland (NZ)

Using Reflexivity to Interface with CORBA 
  Roberto Ierusalimschy, Renato Cerqueira, Noemi Rodriguez, Rio de
  Janeiro-Brazil (BR)

Reactive Programming in Standard ML 
  Riccardo R. Pucella, Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies (US)

Design and Implementation of Triveni: A Process-algebraic API for
Threads + Events
  Christopher Colby, Lalita Jategaonkar Jagadeesan, Radha Jagadeesan,
  Konstantin L"aufer and Carlos Puchol, Loyola University Chicago (US)
  and Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies (US)

Distributed Computations Driven by Resource Consumption 
  Luc Moreau and Christian Queinnecy, University of Southampton (UK),
  LIP 6 & INRIA-Rocquencourt (FR)

Automatic Generation of Microarchitecture Simulators 
  Soner Vnder and Rajiv Gupta, University of Pittsburgh (US)

Microprocessor Specification in Hawk 
  J. Matthews, J. Launchbury, B. Cook, Oregon Graduate Institute (US)

The Template and Multiple Inheritance Approach into Attribute Grammars 
  Marjan Mernik, Mitja Lenic, Enis Avdicausevic, Viljem Zumer University
  of Maribor (Slovenia)

Combining Functional and OOprogramming Methodologies in a Large Commercial
Application 
  Ian Poole, Craig Ewington, Arthur Jones and Steve Wille, Vysys, Inc
  and Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (US)

                            FRIDAY, MAY 15th
Invited Lecture: Paul Hudak, Yale University (US)

Modular Compilers Based on Monad Transformers 
  William L. Harrison and Samuel N. Kamin, University of Illinois,
  Urbana-Champaign (US)

Automatic, Template-Based Run-Time Specialization: Implementation and
Experimental Study 
  Francois Noel, Luke Hornof, Charles Consel, Julia L. Lawall,
  University of Rennes and IRISA (FR)

Controlled Self-applicable On-line Partial Evaluation, Using Strategies 
  Mattox Beckman and Sam Kamin, University of Illinois at
  Urbana-Champaign (US)

Parallelization via Context Preservation 
  Wei-Ngan Chin, A. Takano and Zhenjiang Hu, NUS (SG), Hitachi (JP),
  University of Tokyo (JP)

Type Reconstruction for Syntactic Control of Interference, Part 2 
  Hongseok Yang and Howard Huang, University of Illinois at
  Urbana-Champaign (US)

An Operational Semantics for Probabilistic Concurrent Constraint Programming 
  Alessandra Di Pierro and Herbert Wiklicky, City University London (UK)

Set Constraints for Destructive Array Update Optimization 
  Mitchell Wand and William D. Clinger, Northeastern University (US)

A Conservative Technique to Improve Deterministic Evaluation of Logic Programs 
  Abhik Roychoudhury, C.R. Ramakrishnan, I.V. Ramakrishnan and R.C. Sekar,
  SUNY Stony Brook and Iowa State (US)

Dependence Analysis for Recursive Data 
  Yanhong A. Liu, Indiana University (US)

Optimal Code Motion in the Presence of Large Expressions 
  Oliver R"uthing, Dortmund University (DE)

                         SATURDAY, MAY 16
Invited Lecture: James Larus, University of Wisconsin (US)

Path Profile Guided Partial Redundancy Elimination Using Speculation 
  Rajiv Gupta, David A. Berson, and Jesse Z. Fang, University of
  Pittsburgh (US), Intel Corporation Microcomputer Research Lab (US)

An Infrastructure for Profile-Driven Dynamic Recompilation 
  Robert G. Burger and R. Kent Dybvig, SAGIAN (US), Indiana University (US)

Formal Callability and its Relevance and Application to Interprocedural Data
Flow Analysis 
  Jens Knoop, Universitat Passau (DE)

Loop Optimization for Aggregate Array Computations 
  Yanhong A. Liu and Scott D. Stoller, Indiana University (US)

Data Flow Analysis Across Tuplespace Process Boundaries 
  James B. Fenwick Jr. and Lori L. Pollock, University of Delaware (US)

                          REGISTRATION

Secure online registration is available at
https://secure.computer.org/conf/iccl/register.htm
This registration application accepts MasterCard, Visa, American Express,
and Diners Club cards. If you do not have one of these credit cards,
or if you prefer not to register online, please print out the form and
fax or mail it with payment to the address given on the form.

Conference registration includes admission to the technical sessions,
morning and afternoon refreshment breaks, the Wednesday evening reception,
and one copy of the proceedings. 

Advance Registration Fees: IEEE Member $220, Nonmember $275,
  Full-time Student $120 
Late/On-Site Registration Fees: IEEE Member $265, Nonmember $330,
  Full-time Student $120

                             HOTELS

We have negotiated special rates for ICCL attendees at the Talbott Hotel
(+1-312-944-4970, 20 East Delaware Place) and at the Days Inn Lake Shore
Drive (+1-312-943-9200, 644 North Lake Shore Drive).
Please mention ICCL/Loyola University to get the special group rate.
The hotels require a room deposit guaranteed with a major credit card. 

Rooms for Saturday night (May 16) are very limited because of the annual
Chicago Restaurant Convention.  Therefore, attendees SHOULD BOOK THEIR
HOTEL ROOM FIRST and only then purchase a plane ticket second.

The Talbott is only a two-minute walk away from the conference site but has
fewer rooms available. The Days Inn is a fifteen-minute walk away from the
conference site.  Please see the ICCL web page
http://www.math.luc.edu/iccl98/  for details.

                          TRANSPORTATION

United Airlines is offering a 10% discount off the unrestricted mid-week
coach fare or 5% discount off the lowest applicable fares, including First
Class, to all attendees of ICCL '98. This special offer applies to travel on
domestic segments of all United Airlines, United Express and Shuttle-by-United
flights.  See the ICCL web page for details.  Information about
transportation from the Chicago airports to the hotels and conference site 
is also available from the ICCL web page.

                          CONTACT PERSONS

Local Arrangements Chair:           Publications Chair:
Konstantin La"ufer                  Christopher Colby
Loyola University Chicago           Loyola University Chicago
[email-masked]                   [email-masked]

Program Committee Co-Chairs:
Purush Iyer                         Young-il Choo
North Carolina State University     Gifford-Fong Associates
[email-masked]                 [email-masked]

Conference Chair:
David Schmidt
Kansas State University
[email-masked]

==============================================================================

               WORKSHOP ON INTERNET PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES

On May 13, a pre-conference Workshop on Internet Programming Languages will
be conducted at Loyola University.  

Interested parties should contact one of the organizers:
  Henri Bal, Vrije Universiteit, The Netherlands, [email-masked]
  Boumediene Belkhouche, Tulane University, USA, [email-masked]
  Luca Cardelli, Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK, [email-masked]

The workshop program is located at 
http://www.math.luc.edu/iccl98/ipl-program.html

Information about attendance and registration will be available soon
from the above URL and through a separate Call For Participation.